The NAMM 2013 Great Gretschaway Swagfest!
Joe “Whatever It Takes” Carducci is famous for his generosity. In online events past, there have been literally hundreds of giveaway items for trivia answers, drawings, or just on general principle. At Roundups, you have to duck to keep from getting hit by prizes.
We know that it can take months to get prizes delivered. This has to do with the logistics of tracking who won what, getting addresses, formatting them to be printed, then packing and printing and shipping. Sometimes it’s taken a village of people who are already too busy to get the job done. We apologize for that; we don’t promise we’ll do better this time.
It’s just that we get into the spirit of the thing, and swagging away seems like the right thing to do - and then we’re in over our heads. But y’all like it: you like the competition, and the winning, and watching Geoff Vane make a spectacle of himself. You wouldn’t want to miss all that, would you?
Alright then. So here we go again. But I gotta tell you: Joe is outdoing himself in gifting enthusiasm this time. Your ghasts are all going to be flabbered. Wait’ll I tell you!
In honor of Gretsch’s 130th Anniversary, here’s what we have for you from WinterNAMM 2013:
• not one or two or ten, but twenty (20) - 130th Anniversary Custom Shop Man Purses
• 20 - (twenty) brand new DuoJet T-shirts
• 6 - (I say six) button-up DuoJet Players’ Club work shirts (and I want one badly)
But wait - that’s not all!
• How about a new Center Block PANTHER in your choice of color (as long as it’s black or white)?
• And why not follow that up with a new 6128T-DCM Dark Cherry Metallic doublecut Duo Jet?
Can you say “how can I win, huh, how can I win?”
(This is about where I remind you that if you do win, you can’t get all rabid about when you’ll get your win. Some of these products are not in stock for shipping - but just know that our crack team of logisticians and fulfillment professionals [you know, Joe and I] won’t forget you. You’ll be the first to get the product when it’s available.)
How can you win? The usual mix of trivia questions and challenges, and probably a drawing from pools of correct answers for the Big Prizes.
The Swagfest will all happen right here in this update thread - and will start around 10 AM Pacific Time tomorrow morning.
1/25/13, 10:23 AM PT: And we’re off! Challenges will appear in the sidebar. First right (or closest, at judges’ discretion) answer wins. Contests will be administered and updated periodically, though haphazardly.
1/26/13 12:00 AM PT: I had intended to run questions at a reasonably regular rate all day, but my NAMMday got away from me (as happens) - and I couldn’t get on Fender’s WiFi at the booth to do updates.
Now that I’m ready to do some adjudicatin’ and postin’, I’m having technical (or procedural) problems finding and adjudicating answers and starting more questions.
I’m waiting for support from Bax, and since it’s mighty late (especially east of here), it will probably come in the morning. My apologies for the logistical snafus. When we get it working, questions will have to fly fast and furious over the next two days. We got to move these refrigerators! We got to move these colored guitars…
1/26/13 10:13 AM PT: Giveaway admin snafu is fixed, yesterday’s results are listed, and a new challenge is up. More coming throughout the day, I PROmise. Good luck to all!
1/26/13 3:00 PM PT: The win-a-Panther contest is up, and will run till at least 11 PM PT tonight. Winner will be drawn from pool of correct answers.
1/26/13 9:16 PM PT: I could run more challenges tonight, but it’s pretty late on the east coast of the US. What do you guys think? Run’em, or save’m till tomorrow?
1/26/13 11:20 PM PT: And we have a winner for Center Block Falcon: ForwardLook77. Congratulations! I’ll put a few challenges up for the overnight, and be back on duty around 8 AM Pacific Time.
1/27/13 10:16 AM PT: New giveaway challenges will come up over the next couple hours, and - I hope - at least a couple between noon and 6 PM Pacific Time. At that point, the show will be over and I won’t have more content to gather. That will let me finish up most of the giveaways later tonight. The Dark Cherry Metallic Double Jet contest will start around noon, with closing time to be announced.
1/27/13 4:40 PM PT: Actually, the Dark Cherry Double Jet contest didn’t start around noon (I have good excuses). NAMM is officially ending in 20 minutes or so - but on the GDP, NAMM goes on till the content is up and the prizes awarded. After the show, here’s what happens. I get back to the hotel as quickly as possible, eat some füds, then settle down to finish up coverage and get serious about regularly scheduled giveaways. We still have the Dark Cherry Metallic Double Jet, the NAMMtop, and more man purses and Jet shirts - as well as a sizable wad of new Get-a-Brain stickers from Tavo.
And other surprises are possible.
No other distractions tonight: updates and prizes, that’s it. Can you hang with that?
1/27/13 8:15 PM PT: The evening’s (or long night’s) prizifyin’ starts now - with some new prizes:
• 6 - Billy Duffy Falcon keepsake brochures. This is a classy 16-page piece booklet, 5.5x11”, saddle-stitched, with the highest production quality on heavy stock (and that great smell of new ink). It’s stuffed with historical and current images of Billy and his Falcons, accompanied by quotes and an overview of his career.
• 30 - just-issued “Get-a-Brain” stickers from the feverish design studio of Nocturne Brain Galactic Headquarters.
• 1 - 2013 Fred Gretsch Co. pocket calendar, in gray-green leathette with a contrasting brown diamond applique. I get one a pocket calendar from Fred every year - and to the extent I’m organized, it’s his doing.
• 1 - Calico, The Band 4-song EP. The Calico ladies passed it along to the GDP with their compliments. One of you should have it.
1/27/13 11:00 PM PT: I have no responses to a challenge that’s been up for almost an hour, and learn via email that guys are having trouble posting answers.
Under that condition, it would be frustrating to start the Jet contest tonight. We’ll start it tomorrow morning (mid-morning on the right coast), and give everyone on every continent plenty of time to answer a drawing-format challenge.
Meantime, I’ll wake up Bax and have him kick the database.
1/29/13 4:20 PM Eastern Time: I have many entries to win the Dark Cherry doublecut Jet, but there’s room on the internet for more. I’ll accept further entries till 10:00 PM Eastern Time, then do the drawing. (And I’m getting great response to “who belongs on Mt Gretschmore!)
- The booth, the whole booth, and nothing but the booth.
- NAMM gets away from me.
For one Duo Jet T-shirt, we asked: What turns a Jet into a PowerJet?
- threadkiller said: "Powertron pickups".
Congratulations, threadkiller. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two 130th Anniversary Man Purses, we asked: None of this year's new models have the Tone ("mud") switch. Identify a recorded use of the tone.
- dmanlow said: "American Woman- Randy Bachman of the Guess Who".
- macphisto said: "Stephen Stills, "Wooden Ships" on the first CSN album.".
Congratulations, dmanlow and macphisto. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two Duo Jet T-shirts, we asked: Everyone knows Falcons have 17" bodies, right? Except when they don't. Identify at least two such models.
- MitchC said: "G6139CB Falcon Center-Block Single Cutaway and G6139T-CBDC Falcon Center-Block Double Cutaway ".
- threadkiller said: "7594 falcon jr and 6022 white falcon rancher".
Congratulations, MitchC and threadkiller. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two Billy Duffy Falcon brochures, we asked: What color were the binding and hardware on Billy Duffy's original Baldwin-era White Falcon? What color are they on his new sig model? Explain.
- ScottieDawg said: "They were gold on his original, but he says they have faded to nearly silver, therefore he requested non-gold for his sig model.".
- Itchin For Gretschin said: "the binding used to be gold but wore off over time and is now silver, the same colour as his signature model.".
Congratulations, ScottieDawg and Itchin For Gretschin. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one Duo Jet Players Club workshirt, we asked: Other than color, how is the 6128T-DCM Dark Cherry Duo Jet different from the doublecut Duo Jet already in the Pro Collection?
- ScottieDawg said: "The new Jet has a standard tone control, Adjusto-matic bridge on pinned ebony base, Schaller strap locks, and medium jumbo frets!".
Congratulations, ScottieDawg. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two Duo Jet T-shirts, we asked: The "Paul Pigat" Custom Shop Synchro Club is not the first blonde spruce-topped Club of the modern era. Explain.
- MitchC said: "For a brief time Gretsch produced a spruce-topped (natural/blonde) Country Club.".
- kuzinov (Cousin Steve) said: "No, they were also made in limited numbers starting in 2006".
Congratulations, MitchC and kuzinov (Cousin Steve). You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For four 130th Anniversary Man Purses, we asked: Connect "Peggy" and "Gretsch."
- MacStevenXIII said: "Peggy Jones, AKA Lady Bo. ".
- kuzinov (Cousin Steve) said: "Peggy Jones was a member of Bo Diddley's band. There's a Peggy J. Gretsch. I'm pretty sure somebody has played Peggy Sue on one, so there.".
- Geoff Vane said: "She was the lady next to you on the plane. made photos and told you things.".
- Kevin F said: "Margaret "Peggy" Gretsch composed a new tune for The Lord's Prayer in 1948, according to the copyright encyclopedia online. May not be the answer you are looking for, but, one I managed to find.... ".
Congratulations, MacStevenXIII , kuzinov (Cousin Steve) , Geoff Vane and Kevin F. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two Billy Duffy Falcon brochures, we asked: What does she vend?
- Geoff Vane said: "Sanctuary".
- Sandy said: "Sanctuary".
Congratulations, Geoff Vane and Sandy. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one Duo Jet Players Club Workshirt, we asked: What's your favorite feature of the Custom Shop Synchro Club and/or Synchro Jet?
- dmanlow said: "I love the pickup combo and tortoise binding!".
Congratulations, dmanlow. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one 2013 NAMM Commemorative GretschTop!, we asked: Since 1953, and not including the new Dark Cherry Metallic, how many guitar models has Gretsch produced wih the 6128 model number?
- Rex said: "25 Models".
Congratulations, Rex. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one NEW G6128T-DCM Dark Cherry Metallic Duo Jet, we asked: Who belongs on Mt Gretschmore?
- Itchin For Gretschin said: "1st and 2nd: Billy Duffy and George Harrison for putting “Gretsch” in my vocabulary; 3rd: John Squire, who inspired me to put a Gretsch in my hands; 4th: Brian Setzer who turned me onto rockabilly.".
Congratulations, Itchin For Gretschin. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two DuoJet T-shirts, we asked: In what year was Gretsch recognized as the the largest musical instrument manufacturer in the US?
- toddfan said: "1920".
- Suprdave said: "1920".
Congratulations, toddfan and Suprdave. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one 2013 Gretsch Pocket Calendar, we asked: In what "volume" of publication is the current "House Telegram," the Gretsch company newsletter?
- ChesterTheThird said: "The Vol. No must be 130.".
Congratulations, ChesterTheThird. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one Calico 4-song CD, we asked: Which Roots Collection instruments are played by the ladies of Calico?
- retroandy said: "New Yorker Mando, Dixie 6 Banjo and a Bobtail Resonator? Cool looking instruments to a tee!".
Congratulations, retroandy. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one Duo Jet Players Club workshirt, we asked: Synchromatic - it's a big name in Gretsch history, making a comeback now. When did it first appear on a Grestch product?
- AndyJ said: "1939".
Congratulations, AndyJ. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two Duo Jet T-shirtss, we asked: Double Jet: has there ever been a Signature Model? Whose? When?
- Ripley1046 said: "Malcolm Young, released in 1995".
- Hermitt said: "the 1996 Malcom Young Double Jet.".
Congratulations, Ripley1046 and Hermitt. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one 130th Anniversary Man Purse, we asked: When did Gretsch introduce their first single-cutaway guitars? Under what model name?
- Hi_Fi said: "1951 Electro II".
Congratulations, Hi_Fi. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two Billy Duffy Falcon keepsake brochures, we asked: True or False: Billy Duffy once shared a band with Morrissey.
- KuuKOO said: "True".
- Shawn said: "True".
Congratulations, KuuKOO and Shawn. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one Duo Jet Players Club Workshirt, we asked: You're designing a new hollow or chambered Gretsch model: maple or spruce top? Briefly, why?
- kuzinov (Cousin Steve) said: "Maple, I just like the look of the grain.".
Congratulations, kuzinov (Cousin Steve). You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one Duo Jet T-shirt, we asked: Name a famous luthier under whom Stephen Stern apprenticed.
- dmanlow said: "Jimmy D'Aquisto".
Congratulations, dmanlow. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For six 130th Anniversary Man Purses, we asked: What Gretsch model, still in the line, is not on display in the booth at NAMM?
- Rex said: "Tennessee Rose with Hilos.".
- leedeanryan said: "G6196T Country Club".
- Sandy said: "The absence of a G6128TCG Duo Jet is sadly a familiar sight to me.".
- GetIt said: "I couldn't spot some of the Signature guitars like the Keith Scott 6120, Bono Falcon or Malcolm Young 6131. Also, it looked like there are no Country Clubs - whoa!!!".
- redrocker said: "6121 Chet Atkins Solidbody".
- ChesterTheThird said: "I don't see a Black Falcon with dynasonics an cadillac tail piece.".
Congratulations, Rex , leedeanryan , Sandy , GetIt , redrocker and ChesterTheThird. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For three Duo Jet T-shirts, we asked: Besides the new Billy Duffy, name three other signature Falcon models from years past.
- retroandy said: "Stephen Stills, Chris Cheney, Dave Lee Falcons!".
- Marcos Atkins said: "Stephen Stills White Falcon Bono Irish Falcon Chris Cheney White Falcon".
- AndyJ said: "Steven Stills, David Lee, and Bono.".
Congratulations, retroandy , Marcos Atkins and AndyJ. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one Duo Jet Players Club work shirt, we asked: Did you get any Roots Collection instruments last year? If there's one on your list, what is it?
- GetIt said: "Haven't had a chance to hear one yet, but that resonator uke looks titilating.".
Congratulations, GetIt. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two Duo Jet T-shirts, we asked: The 2013 Custom Shop "dark Roundup" isn't the first dark-stained Jet. What was the first?
- Ratrod said: "I think that would have been the Baldwin era Roc Jet. Available in walnut stain and cherry stain among others.".
- sascha said: "Some 70s Roc Jets had that walnut stain I think. So this is my answer.".
Congratulations, Ratrod and sascha. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two 130th Anniversary Man Purses, we asked: According to Chet Atkins, who disliked them, who was the only guy who got good tone from Dynasonic pickups?
- rowbo said: "Duane Eddy".
- macphisto said: "Duane Eddy".
Congratulations, rowbo and macphisto. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one Choice of new White or Black Panther guitar, we asked: Besides the new Black Panther, name at least 3 other current or historical Gretsch guitars with "Black" in their names.
- ForwardLook77 said: "Black Falcon, Black Penguin, Black Phoenix ".
Congratulations, ForwardLook77. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two Duo Jet T-shirts, we asked: What's unique about Gretsch's implementation of center blocks on the new Panthers and Center Block Falcons?
- BigJimSlade said: "The block is chambered and made of spruce and doesn't have sunk in bridge-mounting studs into the plank. ".
- Geoff Vane said: "The plank isn’t solid, it’s chambered. It’s spruce, for a livelier and brighter tone that won’t deaden the thing. Perhaps most importantly, Gretsch isn't sinking bridge-mounting studs into the plank. ".
Congratulations, BigJimSlade and Geoff Vane. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one Duo Jet Players Club work shirt, we asked: On what floor of the Gretsch building in Brooklyn were guitars made?
- Marcos Atkins said: "Guitars were made on two floors: on ninth flor they assembled the guitars, and on seventh floor was the wood shop and the finishing room (according to Dan Duffy)".
Congratulations, Marcos Atkins. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two 130th Anniversary Man Purses, we asked: How many new Roots models are being introduced at NAMM2013? List them.
- KuuKOO said: "G9420 Alligator Biscuit Roundneck G9500 Jim Dandy flattop G9101 NYC Camp Uke G9112 Resonator Ukelele G9126 guitar Ukelele ".
- Sunshine said: "Five. - Gretsch G9500 "JIM DANDY™" 24" FLAT TOP - Gretsch G9101 "NYC" Camp Uke - Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" Round Neck - Gretsch G9112 Resonator-Ukulele - Gretsch G926 Guitar-Ukulele (A to A)".
Congratulations, KuuKOO and Sunshine. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For two Duo Jet T-shirts, we asked: True or False: the Duo Jet is the best guitar in the known universe. If Yes, which Jet? If not, why not? Defend your answer.
- built4speed said: "Yes, it is. 6128T-DSV. Cliff Gallup agrees.".
- MacStevenXIII said: "False. My 6120RHH is the best know guitar in the universe! ".
Congratulations, built4speed and MacStevenXIII. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one 130th Anniversary Man Purse, we asked: The 130th Anni Jr has ML bracing. What is it, and what does "ML" stand for? Bonus: on what model was it first used?
- Bob Howard said: "It's like trestle bracing but with one upright, slightly shorter and made of one piece of wood. The ML stands for Masao Terada and Mike Lewis. Was it on the 125th Annie?".
Congratulations, Bob Howard. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.
For one 130th Anniversary Man Purse, we asked: During the NAMM2012 Triv-a-way, who came closest to predicting the 130th Anniversary Jr color scheme?
- built4speed said: "68warbird, who said: metallic copper and black two- tone".
- 68warbird said: "I think I came pretty close with my suggestion of "metallic copper and black." I must say, the combo Joe and the team chose looks awesome. ".
Congratulations, built4speed and 68warbird. You will be contacted shortly for mailing info.