Your Tunes

You Have Captured My Heart!

Feeling Passover. House is upside down with all of the obligatory ritual cleaning. That means feeling Song of Songs, which is the scroll associated with this spring festival. So here is a track from my Hashoshanim project, which is stalled, but not forsaken.

The text is Song of Songs 4:8-11. One of the things I treasure in this most surprising pre-modern love poem is the way it expressed the vulnerability inherent in desire. Throughout the poem, the shepherd/king beckons to his beloved, but he also experiences her as a being of awesome power, likening her to an armed fortress, and begging her to turn her eyes away, as they terrify him. Being in her presence is like being in the midst of noble war chariots. Towards the end of the text, she counters by affirming her power, likening her breasts to the fortress within which he will find peace and safety.

But this cut sets one of the passages where he implores her to join him most emphatically, luxuriating in the tastes and smells of her beauty.

https://soundcloud.com/ztav...

Verse 1:

Come with me from Lebanon, my bride,

with me from Lebanon;

look from the top of Amana,

from the top of Senir and Hermon,

Come with me from Lebanon, my bride,

with me from Lebanon;

from the dens of the lions,

from the mountains of the leopards.

Chorus:

You have captured my heart, my sister, my bride.

You have captured my heart, with one of your eyes.

You have captured my heart, my sister, my bride.

You have captured my heart, with one bead of your necklace.

Verse 2:

How beautiful are your caresses, my sister, my bride;

how much better your caresses than wine.

How beautiful are your caresses, my sister, my bride,

and the smell of your ointments from all the spices.

Chorus

Bridge:

Your lips surely run, my bride,

honey and milk are under your tongue,

Your lips surely run, my bride,

and the smell of thy garments is

like the smell of Lebanon.

Chorus

Strummerson, I quite enjoyed that song. It is interesting and pleasing to hear the tone of a Gretsch guitar in that application. The song has great energy too. Was the mix of your vocal a little back by design? I would probably have mixed it slightly forward, but that is a matter of personal preference certainly.

You have expanded my horizons a little bit further this morning. Thank you for that.

A very interesting song indeed. Nice posting.

That was very cool.

Thanks for providing the lyrics, too.

And enjoy your Passover holiday, Strummerson.

Thanks gents. It's just a demo. Will eventually be developed and with a real singer. Sun's sinking low here in Jerusalem. Thinking of my father who is no longer with us and of my mother half the world away. Lucky to have my sister with us visiting from San Francisco.

Happy Passover to those who celebrate and Easter season and happy spring.

Wishing everyone here health for the coming year.

Strummerson, I quite enjoyed that song. It is interesting and pleasing to hear the tone of a Gretsch guitar in that application. The song has great energy too. Was the mix of your vocal a little back by design? I would probably have mixed it slightly forward, but that is a matter of personal preference certainly.

You have expanded my horizons a little bit further this morning. Thank you for that.

– Ric12string

I agree and was thinking the same thing regarding the Gretsch guitar. I like the song.

I wish you a Happy Passover!

Really cool. Pesach Sameach.

Register Sign in to join the conversation