Your Tunes

Writing Songs Makes Me Feel Better

You know since this pandemic crap happened, I've lost all of my income because of the gig cancellations, and on top of that, most of my creativity, but last night, I finally wrote a new song. So today, I sat down and focused (which has been pretty hard lately), and I got to recording. One good thing is that I just got my Martin HD28 back from the shop, as it needed some fret work, and I used it for the rhythm and some acoustic slide. The song it's a heart-breaker, but hey, I'm a blues man at heart. By the time I was done I felt better than I have in a while! Music, you gotta love it!

https://soundcloud.com/dani...

tears in my eyes / weldon 2020

with that smile, and bright eyes

she looked right into me

and she lied, yeah she lied

'bout the life that she'd show me

but I was too blind, to see that I'd wind up,

with the tears in my eyes

she told me, she told me,

she said she'd never leave me

through that smile she lied

ooh, that girl, she deceived me

so why did I try, only to wind up

solo

but I was too blind, only to wind up

so why oh why

did I ever believe her

like the snake in the tree

she whispered to me

with her tounge tipped in poison

the ancient deceiver

brought the tears to my eyes

the ancient deceiver

she brought the tears to my eyes

she brought the tears to my eyes

I got the tears in my eyes

Loved it! Reminded me of the Black Crowes, or the Stones with a better singer ...

Sounds great. Your songwriting makes me happy too. I get the Black Crowes. Also reminded me a bit of the Rod Stewart Gasoline Alley days. Thanks.

Loved it! Reminded me of the Black Crowes, or the Stones with a better singer ...

– Jazzhands11

Thanks I love both of those bands!

Sounds great. Your songwriting makes me happy too. I get the Black Crowes. Also reminded me a bit of the Rod Stewart Gasoline Alley days. Thanks.

– Jopapa

Gasoline Alley is one of my all time favorite albums!

Quality work with credible sincerity as always, Daniel. Great guitar sounds and sinuous soul vocals, present and correct. The backing vocals are a great addition to the minimal template. The lyric is forlorn, but there is some comfort and optimism in the not-on-your-own presentation.

Even if this is a one-off song, just knowing that the muse is still happy to hang around has to be good for the heart.

Cool tune! I always dig your stuff.

I almost lit a cig and opened a beer. Great song and singing.

Quality work with credible sincerity as always, Daniel. Great guitar sounds and sinuous soul vocals, present and correct. The backing vocals are a great addition to the minimal template. The lyric is forlorn, but there is some comfort and optimism in the not-on-your-own presentation.

Even if this is a one-off song, just knowing that the muse is still happy to hang around has to be good for the heart.

– ade

Thanks Ade, I don't know if the muse was checking in on me, or if she's planning to hang around, but it really did feel good for the heart. I have to say your reviews of my songs actually make me sound better than I am. When I release my next CD you should write my liner notes!

Funny thing, the backing vocals came from watching a bunch of live Delaney and Bonnie performances on youtube. They were quite inspiring!

Cool tune! I always dig your stuff.

– Suprdave

Thanks Dave, I appreciate you listening!

I almost lit a cig and opened a beer. Great song and singing.

– jetbunny

I remember when I was younger (I'm 61), going to the record store, finding some cool old record, and racing home for the listening experience. The music I liked best almost always inspired the cig (or another burning substance) and beer thing! So thanks for that comment!

Absolutely loved it!

I too have been somewhat bereft of muse of late so I know what you're feeling. It's great to see someone rise above it and knock it out of the park in such a ballsy and self-assured way.

Thanks for sharing

Are you familiar with Grayson Capps? If not you should check him out. I think you'd like his stuff.

Absolutely loved it!

I too have been somewhat bereft of muse of late so I know what you're feeling. It's great to see someone rise above it and knock it out of the park in such a ballsy and self-assured way.

Thanks for sharing

Are you familiar with Grayson Capps? If not you should check him out. I think you'd like his stuff.

– Deke Martin

Thanks Deke, sorry if this is long winded, but I'd never really suffered from any type of depression before, and the onslaught of never ending barrage of pandemic news, the fear of getting sick, and the separation of friends over the way it's been handled, or not, just pushed me down into the ground. Add to that, losing my income, and it felt like a fog wrapped around my brain. So starting anything new, or even focusing enough to finish anything, was a chore. But as I got going, something inside of me awoke, and that's why I posted this. I hope it inspires others to give it a go. All of us music nuts have a coping mechanism that others may not have.

And a little sun poked it's way through the clouds, I just picked up a few gigs, with all of them having me separated from others by a safe distance! The income will help, and I really miss playing. I've been a full-time musician for the last 20 years, so it's a big part of my psyche!

And yes, I am familiar with Grayson Capps as I liked the music he wrote for the movie "Love Song For Bobbie Long", so after I watched that movie, I checked him out, and he definitely has the feel for the kind of organic music I like.

Wow. I don't know what I was expecting but why I was "expecting" anything is a better question. Music fills me and when I hear "those songs", I am flooded with a rush of a vast spectrum of emotions. "Those songs" don't come around often, but when they do I am struck by a lightening bolt.....and yes, there is a physical tingle in the forearms, hands, and in my scalp.

I think even Santana once explained in an interview years ago that when music really touches him, the reaction can be metaphysical. Well Daniel, "Tears In My Eyes" is magic to me. Easily the best song I have heard all year......easily an understatement.

The song hit me like a flood and I was transfixed on the voice, listened again to the lyrics to really hear the singer's story, listened again how the instruments carried the melody and how the notes slid the emotions around but never let the singer's spirit fall.

It is a blanket of hope and imagination that covers anything that dares to try and rot the soul and enriching the despair with a soil where only good things grow. I feel the singer knows pain but is experienced enough to shake the soul to understand that a certain darkness will pass into caverns of light that give birth of new feelings and stories.

I love many different types of blues and of course love this song. I think it transcends any label/type/genre. There are times when a song is so good that it is a power of its own radiance.

After listening 8 times (logged-in another window and type as I am listening)..... Happily losing count really. I am going to have a couple of beers and think about what I have heard. Later, I'll pick up my acoustic and just see what shape was created by the inspiration of your imagery.

Magic.

Wow. I don't know what I was expecting but why I was "expecting" anything is a better question. Music fills me and when I hear "those songs", I am flooded with a rush of a vast spectrum of emotions. "Those songs" don't come around often, but when they do I am struck by a lightening bolt.....and yes, there is a physical tingle in the forearms, hands, and in my scalp.

I think even Santana once explained in an interview years ago that when music really touches him, the reaction can be metaphysical. Well Daniel, "Tears In My Eyes" is magic to me. Easily the best song I have heard all year......easily an understatement.

The song hit me like a flood and I was transfixed on the voice, listened again to the lyrics to really hear the singer's story, listened again how the instruments carried the melody and how the notes slid the emotions around but never let the singer's spirit fall.

It is a blanket of hope and imagination that covers anything that dares to try and rot the soul and enriching the despair with a soil where only good things grow. I feel the singer knows pain but is experienced enough to shake the soul to understand that a certain darkness will pass into caverns of light that give birth of new feelings and stories.

I love many different types of blues and of course love this song. I think it transcends any label/type/genre. There are times when a song is so good that it is a power of its own radiance.

After listening 8 times (logged-in another window and type as I am listening)..... Happily losing count really. I am going to have a couple of beers and think about what I have heard. Later, I'll pick up my acoustic and just see what shape was created by the inspiration of your imagery.

Magic.

– NJDevil

Thanks you for the kind words about my song, and taking the time to share how it affected you personally. I have songs that I have loved since my early teens that still bring me the feelings that you describe. And that fact that my song moved you so much has made my day and reminded me of how important music is in our lives!

I will carry your words with me, especially these... "It is a blanket of hope and imagination that covers anything that dares to try and rot the soul"

Oh and I hope that when you pick up that acoustic of yours to play it that you find something in it that will inspire you to create!

Register Sign in to join the conversation