Your Tunes

Tennessee Waltz

Greetings, my friends, from the hills of Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping 'cross the plains, and today that wind is sweeping across the entire state. Nice and breezy out there today.

I would like to offer another song, that I have previously shared with you, just to say thanks again for some very talented folks who have done much to inspire me over the years. Tennessee Waltz is one of the most beautiful melodies, and especially striking in this day in which melody seems to not be so important in modern music, but it always will be to me. I love a good melody, and this one is one of the very best. Thanks to Dr John Knowles for the basic idea for the treatment of this beautiful old song. Chet took Dr John's ideas and blessed them with his own personal magic that was the basis for my arrangement. This particular song gave me a wonderful opportunity to pay tribute to the two greatest influences on how I play guitar. That being Chet, and my dear friend, Duane Eddy.

My Gibson CE, electric nylon string, is the foundation for this arrangement, played through my hand built Standel 25L15 clone, The Parkel 25L15. My G6120DE plays an important role in my humble attempt to tip my hat to Duane. The Fender Twin Custom 15 provides the amplification. Also featured are my G&L Legacy, with a doubler effect, also played through the Fender. And the final piece to the equipment list is my wonderful G6122-1959, also played through the Parkel. The bass is a G&L Tribute.

I love the song, and I know it's not nice to brag, but I am very proud of the arrangement, as it accomplished everything I tried to do.

My hopes and prayers are that you are all well. I am personally very thankful for the healing power of music, with its universal language.

The beautiful Tennessee Waltz

Very nice arrangement, and very well played Richard. That acoustic nylon string guitar sounds amazing! You don't need apologize for "bragging" about this, you're a great player, and me and the Missus enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing!

That was wonderful ,as always. Nice, the way you pay homage to Chet and Duane.

A stunning rendition on so many levels, Richard!! Using different guitars is a very nice touch. This tune is incredibly relaxing to listen to thanks to your exceptional clarity of touch! Congrats sir!

I’ve always loved this song. In fact, I just got back from a gig where I sang and played this, I think for the first time ever in public. But my version was nowhere near as beautiful as this.

Thanks for sharing, Richard. A masterpiece, as always.

So... how xactly didja hang all those axes around yer neck at once, there??

More seriously, because I grew up in a house filled with Big Band and Broadway music, as a producer, I tend to use more than just two or three instruments in a recording (often 'way more!). That said, however, there are times when less is indeed more, and this was one of those times.

Beautiful version of a classic. The "twang" verse absolutely nailed it for me.

(edit- why don't the smileys work for me?)

Thanks so much to all of you for your kindness. Wade, I am so happy that you enjoyed it, and I hope that healing part I mentioned works, or at least helps. SuprDave, you’re one of the hardest working guys I know. It’s always good to hear from you. My best to you and Karolyn. Thanks for listening, Windsordave. Your love and knowledge of fingerstyle guitar makes a notice from you much more appreciated. Deke, I am humbled that you would say such a nice thing. You are always an exciting presence on stage. I’m sure your rendition was memorable. Thanks Baba Joe. Much said in a couple of words. Kev, I’ve been getting into big band music more of late, particularly in the Frank Sinatra variety. He was a great entertainer. Pure class. Thanks for the comments.

On a sad note, I have been trying to contact an old friend who is one of the best known, probably the best known gospel fingerstyle guitar player, and someone close to his situation told me that he probably wouldn’t know me. Alzheimer’s is a terrible disease. I hope I can see him before it is too late, even if he doesn’t recognize me, and even if he says mean or hateful things, which I hear he does now.

Blessings to you all. Your friendship and support means much to me.

Just a beautiful rendition on all levels Richard, as I've said many times before on here you sir, have "the touch". My dad and his 2 sisters had Alzheimer's over a 10 year period, it is a terrible disease and it is a wonder that I still have my sanity. The most terrible thing about this dreaded disease is the fact that you lose them twice, once while they are alive, and again when they pass. I hope you get to visit your friend, sometimes they will surprise you and be somewhat lucid for a short period of time, I hope that happens for you my friend....

Beautifully played sir!

Beautiful. Thank you. Perfect timing.

"I love a good melody"

Me too Richard, particularly when it's played with such emotional depth and such respect as you have put into your version of this lovely old tune. This is truly beautiful guitar playing, played by someone who is feeling every note. I love the playing of many guitarists, for a variety of different reasons, but the number of players who can literally bring a tear to my cynical old eye is very small indeed - you are one of those players. I love this track.

It is so easy to write down words and move on to the next big thing, but I hope you all can fully understand how deeply I have been touched by your more than kind comments. Perhaps it is because I have many days behind me, and the days ahead have so much more meaning than I ever imagined. I sincerely do love music and the healing power it possesses, for a variety of circumstances. I have enjoyed a considerable amount of love and success in my life, and I have endured some very painful failures and disappointments, but through it all I have never lost my love for the music we make, and for my family and friends.

If I could tell you all thank you in every language ever known to man, it would not mean as much as the notes of music we play from our hearts. But, regardless, thank you all. Sincerely.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL playing and arranging, Richard!

I somehow missed this thread until now. I had to listen to your beautiful "Tennessee Waltz" four times before coming back to enter this comment. Now I have to go back and listen to it again a few more times. Maybe more than a few........

Thank you for sharing, Richard.

I really appreciate that. It is such a captivating melody. Written by Pee Wee King and Redd Stewart. Legend goes that Pee Wee King had the melody and had been playing it for a while as The No Name Melody. While on the road, Pee Wee and Redd wrote the lyrics on a matchbox and presented it to Fred Rose. Fred changed one line, "I remember the night, and the Tennessee Waltz." The Singing Rage, Miss Patti Page recorded the song in 1950 as the B side, but it caught on quickly and was on the charts for 30 weeks. 9 weeks at #1. It is now the official state song of the Great State of Tennessee.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but this song along with a Gospel instrumental I recorded, Lord, I'm Coming Home, are my two favorites of all the tunes I have recorded. Not that I am a household name, or anything like that, but those two are special to me.

Thanks very much, Sir.

Thanks for recording and posting this, Richard. One of my favorite melodies and beautifully played.

As always, beautifully done Richard!

thanks for posting this, Richard. I, also, have enjoyed this song over the years. I think that this is the best I've ever heard you play. and I mean that with a great deal of respect. every bit of the recording was done very tastefully and fit very well together. again, thank you for posting the song.

Richard, don't know how I missed this thread, but all I can say is Wow.

Just beautiful in every way. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Right on the button, Richard. You did a great job on a lovely country tune.

Register Sign in to join the conversation