Miscellaneous Rumbles

David Letterman’s Last Night

Late Night with David Letterman debuted when I graduated from high school and headed off to college. In a pre-cable era, it was usually the last show on TV before signoff. I remember watching it in Newark airport when my flight to Providence was delayed until the morning. My tiny black and white TV in my dorm room allowed me to see Dave before sleep. My friends and I eagerly discussed each show the following day.

I remember the first show with Bill Murray dancing to Olivia Newton-John's Physical. I even watched his day time talk show occasionally.

As I aged, so did he. He became less grumpy, less edgy, but so did I. After the move to CBS, I watched less. (Too damn late, I needed to get up early for work.) We each had a single son.

His comedy heavily informed my sense of humor, along with Monty Python and the original SNL.

Coincidentally I'm flying out tomorrow for my 30th college reunion. I'm sure my friends and I will swap Dave stories over the weekend.

This summer my wife and I are camping near his loyal sidekick Paul Shaffer's hometown of Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Thanks Dave, for 33+ years of great work. My life would not be the same without you.

I guess I'll have to stay up past my bed time tonight. Dave is the best.

I remember watching Dave do the weather on WTHR in Indy. Local boy done good, etc. There was talk awhile back of naming the I-465 circle around Indy the "Letterman Loop". Considering that they've got names for a lot of other roads, I think that naming one after Indy's favorite son is appropriate. He established a scholarship for C average communication students at Ball State. Dave went from Broad Ripple high school to being a multimillionaire entertainer. Granted, his humor wasn't for everyone, but he always came off as an average guy, self depreciating, goofy, but loved by millions of fans. This retirement actually hurts me a bit. I've spent the last thirty some years, when I could, watching someone from my neck of the woods, with amazing guest and bands, and some silly humor. I'm always reminded of all of the great music played on that stage---from Ed Sullivan's time on to Dave's. Paul's Late Nite Band is an extension of Booker T and the MGs, and the Blues Brothers---still the best band on late night TV. Johnny Carson was great, but he was of my parent's generation; Dave was the best of mine.

It's the end of an era. Thanks for over three decades of laughs, Dave.

I remember the morning show. I was watching with my mother. She said he was the dumbest thing she ever saw on TV. He should never be able to have his own TV show. I knew right then that I had a new and life long favorite.

I started taping Dave's show each weeknight in the mid 80's and would watch the following day at dinner. Not all television pioneers are from the black & white days. Dave was new and refreshing and creative. He used whatever/whoever he had, as long as it was funny. Chris Elliot, Larry 'Bud', Hal Gurtner, Anton Zipp, and later on, the locals around the Sullivan theater. Edgy guests were commonplace.

What won me over the most, at least in the earlier days, was his complete lack of respect for 'the man'. In his eyes, that meant the 'corporate weasels' that ran companies and television networks. And he really let them have it on a regular basis.

Great run, Dave. Have an enjoyable retirement. Thanks for all of those years.

I was a big fan of his first band, Paul and three other guys. Will Lee, Steve Jordan and the late Hiram Bullock.

Just finished watching it.Cool,funny,self-deprecating,just the right touch of sentiment and out.

Agreed DaveH. He made his exit with grace, wit and charm. We'll miss you Mr Letterman...

I remember Johnny was quite perturbed when NBC passed over Dave and chose Jay Leno as his replacement. Not to put down Leno, because I like him, but I think Johnny was right. I think the Tonight Show would have grown even bigger with Letterman. I always liked Letterman because he was just enough out of sync to be very funny and always entertaining.

He had a good run. I wish him well.

Not being American, I had to wait 'till the internet to discover him, and of course a lot of wonderful music happened there.
I also found some jewels like this :

Or this :

So apparently, he did his last "network television debut" ? Hope someone will follow in his steps!

" He became less grumpy"

What Letterman have you been watching? :)

Like most talk shows, I watched for the guests. I liked DL back in the early days, like all my college buddies, but as we all aged, the hosts of all the shows became less important and funny. It's all opinion.

Addendum: I still can't see how talking on tv is all that hard, compared to most middle class jobs. Congratulations to those few who can find the cream. It's all opinion. I did not see the show, the Stanley Cup playoffs were on and in overtime.

...------

" He became less grumpy"

What Letterman have you been watching? :)

– crowbone

Typo - it should have said more grumpy and less edgy. Sorry.

That was one expensive gift CBS gave him last night... and well worth it. Literally everyone on the staff was mentioned or credited during the Foo Fighters, and no commercial breaks (at least not on the version I was watching. Heard some markets got a tad confused at 12:35).

We recorded this. If the last extended 17 minutes were not included in our market (Nashville), ooh somebody's gonna be ticked.

Late Night with David Letterman debuted when I graduated from high school and headed off to college. In a pre-cable era, it was usually the last show on TV before signoff. I remember watching it in Newark airport when my flight to Providence was delayed until the morning. My tiny black and white TV in my dorm room allowed me to see Dave before sleep. My friends and I eagerly discussed each show the following day.

I remember the first show with Bill Murray dancing to Olivia Newton-John's Physical. I even watched his day time talk show occasionally.

As I aged, so did he. He became less grumpy, less edgy, but so did I. After the move to CBS, I watched less. (Too damn late, I needed to get up early for work.) We each had a single son.

His comedy heavily informed my sense of humor, along with Monty Python and the original SNL.

Coincidentally I'm flying out tomorrow for my 30th college reunion. I'm sure my friends and I will swap Dave stories over the weekend.

This summer my wife and I are camping near his loyal sidekick Paul Shaffer's hometown of Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Thanks Dave, for 33+ years of great work. My life would not be the same without you.

– drmilktruck

well written, I agree!! My wife and I cannot stand Leno and were sorely disappointed when Carson did not go to Dave. Goodbye Dave, we'll miss ya. ..but we're looking forward to Colbert. I love that wacko.

Final show in its entirety; commercial-free. There's a small (couple of minutes) section with missing/rough audio, but it's not a critical part of the show. The Taco Bell segment is especially laugh-out-loud funny and is a prime example of what Dave brought to late night comedy.

Thanks for posting that, Beatbyrd. The ending montage was the part that didn't get onto my DVR, and wrapped up 33 years into just a few minutes. As fast as the pictures flashed by, I noticed that the photo of Warren Zevon lingered longer than most. The Foo Fighters story was impressive as well. Classy way to wrap up his career.

My friends and I all share a great deal of love for David Letterman.

I am a graduate of Ball State University in Muncie, IN. It was always a source of pride to walk by the Letterman plaque on the wall in the Telecommunications Building that read "dedicated to all the "C" students before and after me" (I'm paraphrasing... it's been many years since I've seen the plaque).

We all loved Letterman at BSU. I wish him a wonderful retirement.

Dylan

Dave's "Back Home in Indiana" this weekend. He's got a car in a race that they have here. It's sort of a tradition.

Dave's "Back Home in Indiana" this weekend. He's got a car in a race that they have here. It's sort of a tradition.

– wabash slim

That'd be quite a capstone to his last week to drink from the milk jug.

Register Sign in to join the conversation