Your Tunes

Percheron

Percheron is a breed of warhorse, so I mixed a cavalry battle scenario with the Scottish myth of the Kelpie into the lyric. Sonically it's a Highland/West Coast mash up in 6/8 time. McByrds, if you will.

This is a rehearsal recording- a live vocal, electric 12 string, bass and drums. I overdubbed some backing vocal parts and an acoustic to help it float.

Hope you enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/thre...

Dy-no-mite, ADE!

Great song, playing and a killer voice!

Class sir,i do love a bit of folk rockery electric 12 myself!

Very nice. Your's are always very nice.

This is a really well crafted song Ade. Excellent lyrics and music. Familiar and accessible, yet unusual enough to be distinctive and interesting at the same time. Well done sir!

This is a really well crafted song Ade. Excellent lyrics and music. Familiar and accessible, yet unusual enough to be distinctive and interesting at the same time. Well done sir!

– Rhythmisking

I second that! Nicely done indeed, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like the chord progression and the "dreamy" sound of the piece.

Thanks all for your comments, it's always a surprise when these compositions are liked, even just a little. If you got that sense of a dream or phantasmic unreality, I'm ever so pleased.

This was just a recorded rehearsal augmented with a couple of vocals and an acoustic, but it feels ok as a platform to planish the song into some kind of working shape.

Sorry Ade, but they are wonderful workhorses, certainly not warhorses... (which has of course nothing to do with the quality of your song)

Thomas, I did not shirk in my research.

The Perche ancestors of the modern heavier Percheron have been recorded as being used in battle all the way back to the 8th Century when the French fought the Moors and won at the Battle of Tours. The conformation has varied throughout the centuries, finessed by careful breeding. In the Medieval era, they were favoured by knights. From the early 1800s they saw service in French cavalry. There were many, many thousands of modern Jean Le Blanc heavy Percheron horses used in World War I.

I'm always happy to learn more and have faulty information corrected. If there's any of the above that's incorrect and the Percheron does not have extensive historical use as a war horse, I'll change the title of the song. It has to be right, even if that means admitting I'm wrong in what I think I know right now.

Sincere thanks for your input.

Very nice indeed. I could see that getting airplay.

Ade, from what I can gather from French data (from Haras du Pin mostly), Percherons used as battle horses is debatable : it is certain that the breeders from the Perche area did raise battle horses, supposedly breeding local horses with arab horses taken from the moors. These were used as war and tournament horses. It is also certain that Percherons were used as workhorses in war (WWI mostly), but not as cavalry horses. The whole point is when do we set the birth of Percherons as a race? If it is from Jean Le Blanc, who is supposed to be the ancestor of all Percherons, he lived from 1823 to 1856. So, there's no doubt horses from Perche were battle horses, but were they Percherons? Sorry about the hair splitting, just don't be bothered by that!

Thomas, perhaps we are discussing two linked examples of morphology-

Primarily the increasingly heavy conformation of the Perche horse over a thousand years of breeding, eventually codified from the horses sired at Le Pin National Stud in the 1823-56 lifetime of Jean Le Blanc. I attach some of the sources I have used-

http://www.imh.org/exhibits...

https://www.thesprucepets.c...

https://www.heavyhorses.org...

http://percheron.ca/history...

A Percheron horse seems to have been a lighter, swifter animal until the middle ages when industrial-scale agriculture demanded a heavier, more muscular beast. As with so much of humanity, what started as an instrument of war is reappropriated for more peaceful duties.

Is the very word 'Percheron' a similar codification of Perche? From my own limited knowledge of French language etymology, the '-eron' suffix is somewhat interchangeable with '-ier', where the word is attached to and describing the actions of the person doing a task. One example I can find is 'forge'- the person forging was known in old French as a 'forgeron', then 'forgier' and nowadays a 'forger'.

A single word- it carries such weight! I'm very grateful that you have brought expertise and illumination to me and anybody else who reads this thread.

And I promise you, this discussion is neither joust nor jest.

Kevin, I just listened to your beautiful orchestration of Ave Maria. Knockout. I am captivated by the hesitation into beat two of the first bar in every four-bar cycle (am I right in counting 6/8?). Commanding the feel of waltz time or compounds thereof seem to be the key into making any music really swing.

I know you're no stranger to folk styles or a twelve string- so thank you for your encouraging comment.

Ade, absolutely! From further reading, it seems there has been two tendencies : the "popular" evolution of the Percheron as a heavy workhorse, needed for transport, agriculture, and indeed pulling a canon through mud, opposed to a more "aristocratic" need for lighter horses that could be mounted, and there are traces of polemics about what kind should be favored by the breeding. Of course a "Percheron" is a horse from the Perche area (doesn't apply to human inhabitants, though`...) and they have evolved a lot along time, breeders trying to follow demand. In France, when referring to a Percheron these days, it's the heavy worker we think of. And forgeron is still used in modern french.

Register Sign in to join the conversation