Miscellaneous Rumbles

Foul Language is Overrated, huh?

I know a lot of people cuss and when I hear people cussing it makes me not wanting too. I used to when I was a kid but as I got older I just thought that it was totally overrated.

Is the word "hell" a cuss word or a place for the damned or both? People say that word way too much, so I say "heck" instead. I think I don't cuss because another reason is when I stopped I eventually stopped losing my temper and became more even tempered and relaxed.

Then there are the other four letter words. I pretty much keep a clean lexicon these days. Do you guys think that foul language is overrated and that some words such as "hell" are way overused?

Sorry Echo, don't want to hi-jack your thread but that's what always comes to my mind first when I hear/read about the term. Great song I think.

I just think it is a matter of respect. So many things today are accepted as the norm, because everyone does it or says it. Prime time TV has almost gotten to be a contest to see just how far they can go, or how far they can push the envelope. It shows a lack of maturity, I think, and as I said a lack of respect. I am still old fashioned enough that I call folks down for using foul language around my wife or my grand kids. Back in my younger and feistier days I have been known to put a few foul mouths out of my place of business. I know I'm a prude, but I think effective communication can be made without the use of foul language. I also feel the same way about foul mouthed comedians. To me it not only shows a lack of respect, but a serious lack of talent when a comedian has to resort to gutter language in order to be funny. I know I'm in the minority, but that's the way I feel anyway.

No worries, I liked your posting of the song!!!

LOL, sascha, I'm a big time The Smiths fan. I know that song well. I think you knew I was a fan of The Smiths. That is a clever song. Also, two words that never should go together is "Summer" and "School".

Richard well said. You confirm what I say about foul language being highly overrated. I think without cussing, language can be more effective if done correctly.

language can be more effective if done correctly

I do so agree with that. At least I hope it's still true.

I went to the School of Cussing (MCRD San Diego) and graduated with flying colors. I also work in the construction industry which is Male dominated and where most of the guys are not shy about letting the F bombs fly. I have 2 daughters at home and have drastically toned it down as I think its not proper.

This guy right here is still the Master.

I'm with Richard. I'm old enough (at 70+) to deserve the term "old fashioned". I was raised among folks who didn't use profanity except under extreme circumstances, and vulgarities never at all. Few things will turn me off of a book of TV program/movie than gratuitous cursing and such. I'm well aware that such things are not intrinsically "bad", but I regard them (as Richard said) as signs of immaturity. I've seen interviews with media producers and writers who proudly proclaim that one of their aims is to "push the envelope" and see how much they can "get away with", clear signs to me of someone who hasn't grown out of the teenage mentality.

All this can be argued ad infinitum, but I'm a product of my upbringing and environment, and at least my eccentricities and attitudes are relatively harmless, unlike racism or sexism.

An interesting short article on the differences between profanity, obscenity, and vulgarity is found at :

It generally mirrors my thoughts on which is which.

Had you titled your thread WTF?** more bees would have been drawn to the honey.

I worked for six years at the University of Kansas as the custodian on the fifth floor of Murphy Hall, the music and theater building, in itself a bit of poetic justice for a guitar playing singer/song writer. The most ridiculous thing I ever heard were some of the professors swearing and using blue language. Talk about sounding like a bunch of 4th grade school girls!

I've tried to clean up my language. But sometimes, those meaningless words slip out despite my best intentions. In moments of great surprise, or justified indignation in my mind anyway, or momentary frustration, I hear myself saying things that would have gotten my mouth washed out with soap when I was 10 years old.

I've been told that in the Osage language there are no cuss words. The worst thing one can say in their language is "pishé" which as I understand can best be translated into English as meaning "bad."

In my band, WTF means 'where's the food'!

I've heard it said that profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to forcefully express itself.

Sometimes that weak mind is mine.

I've mostly cleaned up.... for personal reasons. Now, when I hear anyone peppering their speech with "F" bombs ...It sounds childish to me.

I've heard it said that profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to forcefully express itself.

Sometimes that weak mind is mine.

– Don Birchett

...without success...

This is what gets me.

All of us are guilty of letting a "vulgarism" slip in speech.

But when I see someone consciously inserting it into a WRITTEN post it makes me wonder, is that the best they can do? Is their vocabulary in their native language so limited that they have to write a vulgarity to make their point?

If I'm supposed to be impressed by their "maturity" or perhaps "badness", sorry folks, it didn't work.

The thing is, too, if you take the time to remove the vulgarism you often find their statement is pathetically devoid of content

Disliking use of vulgar words overrated? You can think that if you want to but overuse of vulgarism makes the user stand out but not in a good way. Not by a long shot.

That's how I was raised and it makes sense to me.

You'll never work the big rooms if you work blue, kid.....

One of my father's closest friends told me at his funeral that he never heard him curse (I managed to get the F-bomb out of him at least once ). I took this as the compliment and sign of respect that it was meant to be. The conversation took place over a quarter of a century ago and made a lasting impression on me. My best friend won't make the same observation about me, but I have consciously tried to tone it down with some success and try to live up to my father's standards. Some people think of it as simply a routine form of expression. I disagree and think that it often times shows signs of inadequacy.

Cussing is part of the English language. It's as legitimate as any other turn of phrase. So there's nothing wrong with its' just and proper usage to express emotions and opinions. Like anything else there's a time and place for it - and indeed an art which is very much becoming lost. These days it's just a string of profanities with no thought to the application. Much like rambling. I've read texts with some very witty strong language describing certain events or espousing a combatants lineage in the most humorous form. Certainly a lost art.

"Mark Twain sagely observed that under certain trying circumstances swearing provides relief denied even to prayer. Most people, of course, unlike Mark Twain, never acquire proficiency in this field, but remain amateurs all their lives. They seek relief in trying circumstances by uttering a series of flat and commonplace vulgarities that fail to solace themselves or to inspire others. These people--that is to say, most of us--would do better to stick with prayer and leave swearing to the masters." Lyle LARSEN.

Penn and Teller used to be more enjoyable when, for whatever reason, Penn decided to 'spice up the act' with vulgarisms.

I still like to view them from time to time but I wince a lot when I do. Teller now seems more intelligent in many ways but of course the never says a word.

Don B., I thought of the same quote.

As an educator and coach, profanity has never been allowed in my classroom by my students or by me. The same goes at practice or competitions.

After parochial school, a hitch in the military changed my language, much to my Mom's dismay. I feel that it's really a matter of time and place. Overuse obviously makes it less effective. With a three year old in my house often, I really have to watch my language---the little guy is a real parrot and picks up everything.

Consequently, I do most of my cussing in Polish---a language that even when spoken politely can hurt the innocent. Even saying "I love you" can sound nasty. I picked up a smattering of Polish from my Dad and Grandfather while working in his butcher shop. Most of what I know can get me fed, drunk, and slapped.

Had you titled your thread WTF?** more bees would have been drawn to the honey.

– Rockabillybob

LOL, now that's funny! It's like asking when is the 12:00 PM meeting?

Lot's of very polite people here.....maybe it's an Aussie thing that I see an art in it....

Register Sign in to join the conversation