Your Tunes

New song, in the making - “Fancy Dress”

In the middle of producing a soundtrack for a new Netflix series and still navigating on Brazil’s election, I got time to record myself playing my new song. I hope you enjoy it. Cheers

Cool! Is this song a part of the soundtrack? What's the show called? Fun tune!

Not part of the soundtrack! This is from my “solo career” :) The show it’s a new Brazilian production and it will be released in 2019. It is called “Coisa Mais Linda” and there’s a lot of cool music on it. I’m having a blast working on this project. Again, no relation with this song. I just recorded it in between sessions for the soundtrack. ;)

Well that was yummy! Love the layered vocals. Very nice song.

João! This was worth another listen today,and probably again later. Loved it. It sounds somewhat like a Jack Johnson song but I hate to say that because it really sounds like you. Super tune, Man!

João! This was worth another listen today,and probably again later. Loved it. It sounds somewhat like a Jack Johnson song but I hate to say that because it really sounds like you. Super tune, Man!

– Suprdave

Ha! Not a problem with Jack Johnson! :)

Thanks, man! It is a fun tune to sing and play

Super-cool, João!

And I believe I see my old Squire Jag behind you!

Super-cool, João!

And I believe I see my old Squire Jag behind you!

– AndyJ

For sure! I love that little green monster... :)

For sure! I love that little green monster... :)

– João Erbetta

Ha, I'm glad you're digging it.

Love it. I'd actually love to hear it without the double-tracked vocals.

Funny how it can be that the busier you are, the more creative you can be. It's not always convenient, especially when working on something as important as a soundtrack- so, very glad you had that bit of space to get this down.

Funky, fun, wistful song performed with effortless panache, as always. Lovely.

John Lennon would certainly approve of the vocal treatment.

A recording studio producer could optimise this composition, João, without sacrificing your live sound. You're onto something original there that's worthy of a wide audience.

A recording studio producer could optimise this composition, João, without sacrificing your live sound. You're onto something original there that's worthy of a wide audience.

– jeffed

I’ll do that. Thanks for the tip!

Funny how it can be that the busier you are, the more creative you can be. It's not always convenient, especially when working on something as important as a soundtrack- so, very glad you had that bit of space to get this down.

Funky, fun, wistful song performed with effortless panache, as always. Lovely.

John Lennon would certainly approve of the vocal treatment.

– ade

You are right and that makes sense. When we are imersed on something creative, even when overwhelmed by all the tasks, your brain is super excited and open to news formats, new ways of doing things. I’m tired but I’m happy

I’ll do that. Thanks for the tip!

– João Erbetta

Hey, I'm nobody. Just a member of the record-buying public. But I can relate to an honest, subjectively-written, commercial song when I hear it. It's not a hit but it's potentially a good, solid track on an album that's possibly yet-to-be. Good luck with the other eleven songs if you haven't written them yet - with time constraints competing with the adrenaline-rush.

Hey, I'm nobody. Just a member of the record-buying public. But I can relate to an honest, subjectively-written, commercial song when I hear it. It's not a hit but it's potentially a good, solid track on an album that's possibly yet-to-be. Good luck with the other eleven songs if you haven't written them yet - with time constraints competing with the adrenaline-rush.

– jeffed

Thanks, man. It’s funny that the whole concept of “album” changed in last decade. Specially for artists/musicians like me, outside of the “mainstream”. Today you don’t have to make an album and you can treat every song as “singles”. At first I wasn’t that fond with this idea cause I love the concept of making an album. I have 5 solo instrumental albums in my career, plus dozens with bands I was with or collaborations with other artists so, the process of working on the repertoire, thinking about the general mood and getting ready for the session still excites me, but, with the freedom we have today and with the change of what people want to experience, it is way easier to produce/release singles. And, the fun with it it is also engaging people over the process. I don’t have any problem with sharing this song the way it is (double vocals or not...and add other versions of it, in different keys (I’m still working on this) and with a full band, maybe a piano driven version or whatever. There’s a fun of opening up the process this way that is still new to me. I like it!

Thanks again, man!

Register Sign in to join the conversation