Your Tunes

Nashtown Ville Duet

A cover of Chet Atkins' and Jerry Reed's duet of Nashtown Ville.

I had the great pleasure of collaborating with the very talented Paul (Taffy) White. Paul is in Los Angeles and I'm in Sydney. It's pretty amazing that technology allowed us to put this together and we had a lot of fun doing it. Hope you enjoy listening.

What a sweet duet- a delicate, assured dance with no stepping on toes and confident interplay. The steel and nylon makes a great combination. Flows like a babbling brook, crisp, cool and clear.

Lovely!

Pure class,i hope these duets are going on the album!

Thanks @ade! Thanks for your thoughtful review - always appreciate them.

Thanks @JCHiggy always appreciate your support too mate.

There's one little bit at 1:48, I'm amazed it works. Andrew, you're playing the Amaj7 then the A6 and in the meantime, Paul, you've playing the A7.

It's the syncopation that makes it possible- the A7 is struck into the only possible gap, creating a chromatic fall and averting a semitone clash on two hazards by mere milliseconds. It's that kind of detail, that astute sense of the right, indeed the only place for a risky dominant inversion to sit happily that makes this so very special.

That's what I mean by a delicate dance. I really do listen very carefully and enjoy these moments. Music is hard work at times, I sincerely hope that really noticing and appreciating the craft and careful attention you put into this makes a difference to you both.

I really do listen very carefully and enjoy these moments. Music is hard work at times, I sincerely hope that really noticing and appreciating the craft and careful attention you put into this makes a difference to you both. -- Ade

It certainly makes a more enjoyable read for me, Ade. You never just give a glossed over review of something; you do analyze things and offer remarks that show insight into the song's true performance. We are all indebted to you for that.

Splendid work, Andrew and Paul! You have to love technology which permits this type of long-range collaboration.

Lovely . . . is there really an album in the works?

You guys truly make me want to either practice more or give up completely. That was very nice. I love how y'all put the videos together.

Sounds great. The technology eliminated someone's jet lag too I'm guessing.

Thank you everyone for listening and your kind comments. No albums in the works Paul is very busy working a regular job and also working on other projects. I had a great time doing it with him - he's a good friend and it made my year to actually play with someone else even if it was virtually if you know what I mean.

@Ade - Really do appreciate your reviews and knowledge. Your theory knowledge and observation skills leave mine to shame I'm afraid to say. I understand the chromaticism you are talking about regard a maj7, 7th and a sixth chord and if you hit them all at once you'd end up with dissonance and a clash. I guess that's what you mean by risky but I didn't understand that I was playing a dominant inversion although I guess I understand that E is the dominant of the key of A. If I sat down and analysed the chords I'd know if it was an inversion of course but I'm not good enough to realise it when I'm playing it i.e. on the fly.

Anyway your powers of observation and theory exceed mine by a long margin. My shortfall in jazz theory knowledge is something I regret and am embarrassed about - every day actually.

Hi Andrew, it was Paul who played the A7, right in between your Amaj7 to A6 move. It was cute as a button- immaculate interplay.

If I ever come across in any way a smarty pants I must apologise, for it's certainly not the intention. It's the playing itself that counts for everything- some things are beyond explanation and are beautiful in and of themselves without being reduced to dry explanation. Hang the theory!

I just like to make any little observations as clear and correct as possible so others can perhaps spot and enjoy them too and as a little tip of the hat to acknowledge a tasty note or phrase when I hear it.

And I love to pick up tricks from other players- I've borrowed more than a few licks and approaches from you and many, many others who post here.

You don't come across as a smarty pants - knowledge is power and nothing to be ashamed of. I always bemoan my practical theory knowledge but haven't made enough effort to correct it. It's a daunting and deep subject. I know a little but not enough to help me in a practical sense which is a shame - well it helps me transcribe things i guess but not on the fly while I'm playing really.

Glad you all enjoyed the video guys. Thanks for the observations Ade it's always a pleasure to here your comments

A terrific union of two great players. Wonderful technicalities notwithstanding, and beyond me as well, one of the best compliments I can add is that the listener doesn't want the tune to end! Truly a brilliant collaboration!!

Thank you very much Dave and Baba Joe!

Pure class,i hope these duets are going on the album!

– JCHiggy

I second that!

I'll third that, just superb playing by both of you!

Register Sign in to join the conversation