Your Tunes

My newest song with a video…

I put this in the you tube area but is probably the place it should have been posted. This is an original song from my newest CD called "Folker" the song is called "Lovesick Heart".

Nice job, Dan. Great hook. Always enjoy your work!

Is that your studio or a commercial facility? LOVE the Manley gear...

Yep. Commented on the other was expecting a different song here. very nice work

Nice job, Dan. Great hook. Always enjoy your work!

Is that your studio or a commercial facility? LOVE the Manley gear...

– gretschman36

Yes that is my studio, it's a small room (aprox 300 sq ft) in the historic area of my city (Ogden Utah). A lot of my recording stuff was in storage because the building where I used to have a studio set up in went condo. Then one day a friend of mine told me there was a room open in the historic bldg, and then when I checked it out, I loved it. It just sounds great. A few weeks later I had it set up perfectly for the way I like to record. I've even recorded some bands in there and even drums sound good:) This is when I first moved in...

Great looking studio. Excellent production on the track

Comfy looking space, Dan. Congrats! Like the Edison lamp as well. Same here. Matches the gear glow and vintage boxes.

But, it’s all about the audio, right? Like the Edison, we share much of the same equipment iron and there’s nothing else like it, esp. the Manley.

I have a BA6A that you’d love ( talk about iron). Given your sound and style, it’s perfect ( it’s always in my chain).

And... did I see a Robbie?

Great looking studio. Excellent production on the track

– eCastro

Thank you, that track was recorded live, 3 mics, Violet Vintage Amethyst on the cone of the reso, Neumann U87ai on the reso neck joint, and a Blue Kiwi on the vocal. The Violet and Neumann were routed through a Sebatron VMP4000e tube pre, and the Blue Kiwi through the Blue Robbie preamp, so everything went through a tube or two:) Funny thing I had just we-wrote the song, an that take was supposed to be the demo so I didn't forget how to play it. I liked it so much I just used that take as the keeper:)

Yeah. Don’t change a take like that. Has a real nice vibe.

I remember reading the JAm THats Entertainment single was actually the demo. They could never recapture it as well so just relaeased the demo

Comfy looking space, Dan. Congrats! Like the Edison lamp as well. Same here. Matches the gear glow and vintage boxes.

But, it’s all about the audio, right? Like the Edison, we share much of the same equipment iron and there’s nothing else like it, esp. the Manley.

I have a BA6A that you’d love ( talk about iron). Given your sound and style, it’s perfect ( it’s always in my chain).

And... did I see a Robbie?

– gretschman36

Yes I have Edison lamps all over the place, two of them on mic boom stands:) I like Manley gear and I have The Manley Voxbox at the project studio, and a Manley/Langevin DVC in my house studio. I like the DVC when using tube mics as it keeps things from getting too tubey.

project studio rack (and yes that's a Robbie on top), in this rack there is also Neve Portico 5012, Audient Mico, Manley Voxbox, (2) Universal Audio LA-610, Sebatron VMP4000e, Drawmer DL441, Presonus Anthony Dimaria ADL600, and DBX160s Compressor. The interface is a RME UCX along with a RME ADI-DS (for 8 channel ADAT expansion)

home studio rack, in this rack (2) Focusrite ISA One, (2) Presonus RC-500, Drawmer 1960, Manley DVC, int interface in a RME Babyface and a Mackie 800R (for 8 channel ADAT expansion). There's also a GSP1101 guitar pre/modeler for when I want to work without guitar amps while my girlfriend is sleeping.

Here's the last recording at did in my home which features the DVC, this another demo that I decided to use on my CD as the final track....

https://soundcloud.com/dani...

As for BA-6As,I really like them and have used them in other studios, big fat iron for sure!!! In my studio all of the preamps were picked as favorites with the mics I use. I would say my studio is mostly pro-sumer level stuff, although I do have a few nice pieces.

Thanks for the rundown. Some nice pieces there and i agree about the right mic pre/mic. Don’t ya just love looking at nice rack gear in their natural habitat?

Thanks for the rundown. Some nice pieces there and i agree about the right mic pre/mic. Don’t ya just love looking at nice rack gear in their natural habitat?

– gretschman36

yes I like looking at the glow of the meters:)

Yep... me, too. As a fellow gear addict, years ago when Skyline NYC closed, I bought their vintage U47 with original power supply, a pair of V76s, a pair of StaLevels and a pair of LA 3s (for the acoustics). I recently bought an LA4 and it’s at the doctors being revived as we speak. Love those, too.

Those pieces run thru that BA/6A iron (after a 1073 or API) then in and out of the SSL for guitars ( most anything, really) is magic! All that vintage and historic gear integrated with modern automation and ProTools rocks!

Have you used a CS HEDD? Man, pure tape saturation in a box. Best I’ve ever used to introduce tape sound, harmonics, compression and the like into a modern rig. Finish that off with a Pultec EQP1A and wow!

———————

So, what i’m saying is your stuff makes me think of whiskey-soaked roots rock/blues that evokes the sound of “ that” period gear.

And... Ya know it’s good if after a few passes, i woke up with that hook in my head. Nice job, Dan!

Wow, Dan.

Great vibe to that track.

I want more.

Where can we get it?

Yep... me, too. As a fellow gear addict, years ago when Skyline NYC closed, I bought their vintage U47 with original power supply, a pair of V76s, a pair of StaLevels and a pair of LA 3s (for the acoustics). I recently bought an LA4 and it’s at the doctors being revived as we speak. Love those, too.

Those pieces run thru that BA/6A iron (after a 1073 or API) then in and out of the SSL for guitars ( most anything, really) is magic! All that vintage and historic gear integrated with modern automation and ProTools rocks!

Have you used a CS HEDD? Man, pure tape saturation in a box. Best I’ve ever used to introduce tape sound, harmonics, compression and the like into a modern rig. Finish that off with a Pultec EQP1A and wow!

———————

So, what i’m saying is your stuff makes me think of whiskey-soaked roots rock/blues that evokes the sound of “ that” period gear.

And... Ya know it’s good if after a few passes, i woke up with that hook in my head. Nice job, Dan!

– gretschman36

Wow you have some serious gear! I've never sang through a real U47. I try to emulate the sound of that gear that you have, with the more modern stuff that I have! I've never owned a 1073 or an API either (I do have plug-ins but of course close but no cigar), but I have found some combinations of modern things that work perfectly for the sound I'm looking for.

No I haven't heard of a CS HEDD, if it hangs with the other stuff you have, I bet it's a pretty good piece of gear.

I'm glad my song has a hook.

Wow, Dan.

Great vibe to that track.

I want more.

Where can we get it?

– crowbone

I typically just sell my CD @ my gigs, by my girlfriend is going to set up online purchasing. I can always sell you one for $10 plus shipping to you. Just PM your info if you would like me to send you one. We could do paypal if you would like. Here's another song from the CD...

https://soundcloud.com/dani...

Another terrific piece, the sinewed and muscular guitar supporting that voice. I really, really like that voice- maintains girth and authority in the upper register without apparent strain or effort.

This is something I've been working at quite hard lately, doing lots of warm-up and flexibility exercises, trying to smooth the transition from second passage into head voice and trying to keep some 'grain' as it goes higher. It's work!

Another terrific piece, the sinewed and muscular guitar supporting that voice. I really, really like that voice- maintains girth and authority in the upper register without apparent strain or effort.

This is something I've been working at quite hard lately, doing lots of warm-up and flexibility exercises, trying to smooth the transition from second passage into head voice and trying to keep some 'grain' as it goes higher. It's work!

– ade

It's funny that you say that. I gig typically 4 to 5 days a week and I drive between 30 to 70 miles to get to those gigs. When I get to about thirty miles out from the gig, I start warming up with a CD that I made just for that purpose. It's songs of mine that range from the littlest range to the widest. By the time I get to the gig my voice is ready. I can't really stress how much that warming up as helped me. My voice rarely seems to strain anymore, and my range has actually increased instead of diminished because of it. And that transition from chest to head voice is something I work on in the warm ups.

Register Sign in to join the conversation