Miscellaneous Rumbles

I’ve had to put all my guitars away for the time being.

Oh man, we have a new, now 12-14 week old kitten in the house that we rescued. She is an absolute terror. I've always kept a guitar or ukulele out on a stand for when ever I want to pick one up.

But our house is a wreck as if we let a two yr old loose with no supervision. She will jump in the shower with you, she torments the old dog, we love her but jiminy!!!

Last night I went to the bedroom for something I needed and came back in time to keep my PRS McCarty from falling over out of the stand. It would have hit the coffee table and boom, no more headstock. She was standing on the upper neck support and looking at me like "look what I can do". No foul no harm, but man, I want to wring her neck, tha little darlin..... Better safe than sorry.

Two words: wall hangers

Indeed, all of my guitars hang. My lady is a very skilled wood worker, unlike my self. She built me a standup cabinet with all of them hanging. They haven't seen a case in a decade or until I go out with one. I like to keep one handy in the living room, but this little kitty has exposed that danger. They are all hanging now, away from her.

Three words: Kitten Chow Mein

I have always trained,my kittens with a spray bottle of water...dialed to shootrd stream shot of water....it works.....

Water is a great kitty trainer. It does no damage to them, it's free, and cats hate it. After a while, the sound alone will chase them away.

Toddlers, on the other hand.....

My lady is a deadeye with the water bottle. That kitten stays wet more than dry, she is just seemingly immune to it. Oh well, it was our decision to raise her and so be it, but it's been a long time since I've had a puppy or kitten to contend with...

Bummer!, but you're doing a good thing by providing the kitty with a home.

My knucklehead boy kitty can be annoying when it comes to guitars - especially if he wants my attention. I keep my guitars on stands. Say what you want about "evil" polyester finishes, but if my guitars had lacquer finishes, Roscoe (who I've had for 2 years - he was a stray rescued by the cat shelter I used to help out at), would have reliced all of my guitars by now, since he likes to swipe/scratch his front paws on the bodies of my guitars, sometimes, to get my attention (usually while I'm laying on the couch [which is next to my guitars, and my amp] reading a book). I'd put my guitars in their cases or gig bags, but I have nowhere to stack cases horizontally (such is life, when you live in an apartment, and have 3 electric guitars, and an acoustic guitar), so I chase Roscoe off, and in the case of my Country Club, and my Seagull acoustic, I put them in the nook/cranny between the couch, and my amp (which I keep on an amp stand), so he can't get at them. Luckily Sarah doesn't partake of this behavior (she prefers to curl up between my legs while I'm reading). Oh, and no, Roscoe is not going away - he's in his forever home with me.

The Guilty Party

In the same boat as well: TWO new kittens this year. I had to put guitars away, close the room to the sitar which they find utterly tantalizing, and cover the Twin Reverb and Carr Rambler. Squirt bottles galore!

Water is a great kitty trainer. It does no damage to them, it's free, and cats hate it. After a while, the sound alone will chase them away.

Toddlers, on the other hand.....

– wabash slim

All true with a few exceptions.

I have an extremely large Norwegian Forest Cat that LOVES water. The water spray bottle has no effect on her. On the other hand, our two Tonkinese cats and our Maine Coon, are in fear of just the sight of the water bottle.

I'd be worried about your amps too, tasty looking scratching posts to a moggy.

Here's my guilty party Jezebel.

Leave the cases open---they'll usually leave the guitars alone.

If not, I've got recipes.

Bar-b-cat, Siamese stir fry, cat tacos......

Here is my little darling. Why do they do this climbing thing ?

Last year I got 4 of them. They start out clumsy but at some point they will develop some serious motor skills and then the living room becomes the Matrix.

I've raised more rescue cats than I can count, and they were all wonderful, but a couple had to spend most of their lives outdoors, as they seemed not to possess the DNA that makes cohabitation with humans possible (consistent use of litter box, discrimination about which surfaces are acceptable for scratching, etc.) The last of them had to go to the great scratching post in the sky 2 weeks ago due to the beginning stages of kidney failure and discomfort, just a week past her 20th birthday.

It's quite strange to be catless after all these years, but I suspect it won't be a permanent condition.

When i had our Smokey she never bothered with the guitars,other than a quick sniff,the amp on the hand she loved to scratch,and would get stuck on the grill from time too time. She would bite the fingers off me when i tried to get her off!

So last night I have my McCarty back out strumming some tunes. I get up to go to the kitchen for a beer, set the guitar in the strange swivel chair in the living room that my lady bought, and as I return, the kitten leaps from the coffee table lands on the chair,and runs up the top of the guitar, onto the neck and onto the back of the chair for a pleasant view to the outside.....I held my breath looking at the guitar, and all I could find were wet paw prints, from getting sprayed about 10 seconds earlier...

I keep my HRDLX covered and pulled all the way down to the sliders. It already has cat scratches on the cover from my ex's cat in Texas. I will not expose that perfect grill cloth.... My little VOX modeler has that industrial diamond steel thing on the front so I don't think that's too attractive to her.

PATIENCE...........My projet is especially attractive too her due to all the shiny, believe it or not, she was pawing at the cat reflection in the chrome pickup covers last week.....

My dogs have never been a problem for my gear.

My dogs have never been a problem for my gear.

– Suprdave

Neither has mine, even as a door chewing, shoe chewing, rug chewing puppy, she never so much as looked at amps or guitars..after 12 yrs with her, she is like... "not again"... when she hears the guitars...

To keep your gear safe from pets, leave the vacuum cleaner in the room. It doesn't work with my deaf cat, tho.

Three words: Kitten Chow Mein

– NJBob

I love cats......they taste just like chicken!

Insert 'cat' in General Custer's famous but ill-advised and ironic famous expression.

My lady is a deadeye with the water bottle. That kitten stays wet more than dry, she is just seemingly immune to it. Oh well, it was our decision to raise her and so be it, but it's been a long time since I've had a puppy or kitten to contend with...

– Parralax View

I can cure her immunity.......put cayenne pepper in the water bottle and get the SOB in the eyes.....then see how 'immune' she is! Well, you did say your lady "is a deadeye with the water bottle."

Register Sign in to join the conversation