Your Tunes

My Lagan Love - a traditional tune

Here's a traditional Irish tune that I love and got around to making some kind of arrangement of it having wanted to for a while. My Grandmother was Irish, she was married to my Scottish Grandfather so on my mothers side I consider myself half Scots but there's that wee bit o the Irish there too. So it's partly a tune for her and partly a tune that I just love. Have a listen and hope you like it.

Geeze Paul, your timing and touch is impeccable. You always amaze me.

Look for all of my gear on reverb....I'm done.

Paul, in my humble celtic opinion, that's the best I've heard from you. It's beautiful, both the arrangement and the playing, which is both technically precise and musical. The way you play with the rhythm suits the tune perfectly, and is very celtic in the way that the subtle changes in tempo and the elongation of phrases combine to give it a vocal quality. I can hear a similarity in approach to some of the playing of Bert Jansch on the one hand, and Bill Frisell on the other, but only in a very indirect way - you have your own voice. Really lovely stuff.

Paul, in my humble celtic opinion, that's the best I've heard from you. It's beautiful, both the arrangement and the playing, which is both technically precise and musical. The way you play with the rhythm suits the tune perfectly, and is very celtic in the way that the subtle changes in tempo and the elongation of phrases combine to give it a vocal quality. I can hear a similarity in approach to some of the playing of Bert Jansch on the one hand, and Bill Frisell on the other, but only in a very indirect way - you have your own voice. Really lovely stuff.

– NSM

Thanks Neil, very nice of you to say. I forgot I posted this lol. You'll probably start hearing more of this kind of stuff as I'm playing more in open tunings lately. I just played at the Mose Rager day in Kentucky and only 2 out of 8 tunes were in regular tuning.

I missed this the first time around . . . that was lovely.

I'm running out of superlatives for your playing/writing/arranging, Taffy. I hope you release an album sometime soon . . . I'd be delighted to purchase it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation