Your Tunes

My heart’s not in it

They say write about what you know, right? Well, I know that after over a decade of being the quintessential company man, I've hit a wall. And i can't shake it.

As always, please forgive the crappy singing and cheesy production.

Link

Nicely done! Reminded me of John Hiatt's style---simple, eloquent.

I quite understand the middle aged malaise myself. There are a lot of us that have dedicated a lifetime to a job, only to burn out in the end. The old adage, "To thine own self be true", seems to be appropriate. Hopefully the things you love about your job outweigh the things you hate.

Nicely done! Reminded me of John Hiatt's style---simple, eloquent.

I quite understand the middle aged malaise myself. There are a lot of us that have dedicated a lifetime to a job, only to burn out in the end. The old adage, "To thine own self be true", seems to be appropriate. Hopefully the things you love about your job outweigh the things you hate.

– wabash slim

thanks, slim. that's the thing. it's a good job. it's a good life. i should be full of spitfire and verve. but as in all other aspects of my life, i'm falling short.

Cool little tune. I feel your pain.

I enjoyed that. Top notch song writing and feeling in the doing.

Here's Peter Cook and Dudley Moore with an even more extreme version (from the original "Bedazzled").

And yes, that is Eleanor Bron, who played the high priestess Ahme in the Beatles' "Help!"

The song lays it bare clearly - good ol' middle-age burnout, when you realize the world moves forward on the exploited energy of 20-40-somethings, and that so much of what we do for a buck (and which occasionally feels like a mission, or "worth doing") is just not all that interesting/motivating/compelling. After you've proved you can do it - over and over and over and over - well, it loses some lustre.

Shift sideways, take on new challenges so you have to learn stuff to do your job. (Or bail completely if you can afford it.) There's always self-inflicted cognitive therapy: instead of telling yourself over and over "man I hate this job", you tell yourself something more positive, but believable. Like: "this job isn't completely awful, and it does have some upside (enumerate)." And: "OK, I'm neither going to save the world nor self-actualize in the process of being so special the world will have to take note. I'm just a schlub doing what I gotta, like all the other schlubs, and maybe that's as good as we can realistically expect."

Nother words, lower expectations for world, life, and self - and lie to yourself a little about how bearable work is.

Register Sign in to join the conversation