Your Tunes

Mazzy Star - Fade Into You

Like most of my videos, this is more of an improvisation-on-a-theme than a faithful cover. I hope you like it, it's one of my favorite songs!

A meditative mantra in two parts, great controlled touch, Swiss timekeeping and delicious earthy sound from the resonator.

I can well imagine that you were quite transported and fully absorbed in the rotating hypnotic beauty of the melody as you played. Perhaps though, it is a little long- running at over seven minutes- for a typical audience.

All criticism is a pest, and who am I too criticise at all? I just feel that some of your other interpretations have been more successful as you're so able to distil more complex songs into an elemental, skeletal beauty. This one in its original form is very lean with Hope Sandoval's disarmingly direct vocals and seemed to have been whittled already before you began.

Thinking further about this, maybe a looper would be just the ticket for this song. Play the A-B sequence in then repeat and explore with variations on top- a harmony part, countermelody, perhaps some improvisations before deconstructing it back down again into the armature of the initial melody.

I really think this one is worth a revisit, Otter. It's so lovely, just bursting with beautiful possibilities.

Thinking further about this, maybe a looper would be just the ticket for this song. Play the A-B sequence in then repeat and explore with variations on top- a harmony part, countermelody, perhaps some improvisations before deconstructing it back down again into the armature of the initial melody.

I really think this one is worth a revisit, Otter. It's so lovely, just bursting with beautiful possibilities.

– ade

Looper's an interesting idea, one I had not considered for this line of work.

That said, I kind of like how sparse this one ended up, almost desolate. I think where it needs work is meaningful inflection of the melody lines, as well as nailing down the timing of the chorus part (which you can hear is still a little mercurial in this take). It would be difficult to top--or even match--Miss Sandoval's performance, so I aimed low rather than high.

Edit: as you say 7 minutes is a touch long, but the feeling this song give me is of never wanting it to end. Maybe I overdid it. I'd agree it's not my best work. This one was a quick effort, maybe 2 hours from inspiration to performance. It is indeed worth a revisit, I think.

You're really onto something with this approach to reworking songs, moulding them to fit your own personality, finding a new facet to reflect from.

The looper is just one suggestion of how to achieve something quite specific- pulling a song away from its original format and exploring some other unexplored, undiscovered and wonderful area within it. I can almost feel this desire from the way you play this one, like you're searching for something within it, or some way to express what you have found. You're so close. Just go for it!

Register Sign in to join the conversation