Your Tunes

Marty Robbins fans?

Hi folks!

My band, The Carolyn Sills Combo, is releasing a new record called ‘Return to El Paso.’ We wrote five songs from the perspectives of the characters in Marty Robbins ‘El Paso,’ filling out the backstory to that fateful night at Rosa’s Cantina. While we were on tour last February, we stopped in at the LR Baggs studio to video a couple songs from the record. I’m playing a Santa Cruz Guitar Co D/PW with a LR Baggs Lyric pickup. ‘Return to El Paso’ is due out on November 1 but you can watch these live videos from our ‘Handcrafted Video’ session here: Link

Enjoy!

Nice! Where have you been?

Don't be a stranger. Love the sounds.

Thanks, I did enjoy.

I forget when Marty did it, but he did a squeal to El Paso way back when(90s ?). good job on the video.

I got to see Marty play live at a "Teamsters Hall" back in the mid 60s in Baton Rouge. it was very hot, but he still put on a great show.

El Paso City

Nice! Where have you been?

Don't be a stranger. Love the sounds.

– Suprdave

Thanks Suprdave! Life has been crazy BUT I’ve recently fallen in love with my DSW all over again so I’ve been poking around the GDP a bit.

I forget when Marty did it, but he did a squeal to El Paso way back when(90s ?). good job on the video.

I got to see Marty play live at a "Teamsters Hall" back in the mid 60s in Baton Rouge. it was very hot, but he still put on a great show.

El Paso City

– Sgt Rock

Yes!! Marty actually released two follow up songs to ‘El Paso,’ the third being ‘Feleena (from El Paso)’ in 1966. I give my wife, Carolyn, total credit for diving deep into all the Gunfighter Ballads lyrics as well as the two follow up songs. She makes lyrical references to all three songs on our ‘Return to El Paso.’

By sheer coincidence, our song ‘Feleena’ is exactly the same length as the original ‘El Paso’ at 4:38... pretty crazy!

wow, I thought I knew most of Marty Robins music but I never heard ‘Feleena (from El Paso). I can see why, over 8 minutes long. Good song.

Boos Tweed, I listened to you vids and they sound really good. Best of luck with them.

Jim

Register Sign in to join the conversation