Your Tunes

Lotus Flower- The Colorifics live

My drummer is back on churning out videos. This is a light and breezy number I wrote probably at least 20 years ago, inspired by a 'Lotus Flower Catering' van I saw. After writing it I decided it should be a duet. I make lot's of good mistakes in this one. My mistakes crack me up so one can usually tell after they've happened

Wonderful as always. You will be making a DVD of these performances.

'Mistakes' just add to the charm of this tune and barely noticeable given the terrific beat and overall fun of the performance.

Great tune Toxo, my live mistakes were legendary, I fallen on the rails quite a few times during live performance especially in my younger days. I always enjoy these posts, thank you for sharing them.

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you guys like it.

On watching ,I think I did do one edit, It's early on where I do an eye roll. I have to do redo my pedal board as I keep mistakenly hitting my MXR distortion pedal by accident, especially in this song, which is definitely comical but clearly doesn't suit the song. I left in the actual played a bad chord etc. mistakes.

Quirky chords, peppy delivery, catchy melodies, a sprinkle of Spice of The Unexpected in the construction.

Always plenty to enjoy in a Colorifics tune, particularly for those who enjoy a bit of Aztec Camera and early Cardigans.

Lovely.

Thanks Ade!

I was aware of the Cardigans some when I wrote this song (probably 95 or 96) but humourously I only really delved into Aztec Camera in the last couple of years. Great stuff though. Roddy Frame, Excellent guitar player, singer, and songwriter. He's played a few Gretsch's in his time. In one of their more commercial videos he's playing Billy Duffy's refinished black 70s country club.

I remember that tune from the old days. Always one of my favorites of yours!

Here you go Paul this is the best I can do as we didn't play Vista Cruiser at that show.

I'll have to wait for our next show (and I have to book one...yeesh!) to see if I can get Vista Cruiser filmed. A picture of the initial inspiration will have to do for now.

Ours didn't look this nice, only cost $90, and started to shake badly over 45mph, but had a super reverb sized secret luggage compartment in the back. Made it to Seattle and back a couple times.

Nice song and nice performance!

That was a fun one mate.

Ade's colorful commentary hits the nail right on the head. I always enjoy your posts and love the band and you had me chuckling at every "mistake"! Great music and if I had to listen to The Colorifics all day then I would be a very happy man....Great tune and thanks for posting it!

WOW! I’d be a regular if you played in the bars here! Great song , playing and singing!

Here you go Paul this is the best I can do as we didn't play Vista Cruiser at that show.

I'll have to wait for our next show (and I have to book one...yeesh!) to see if I can get Vista Cruiser filmed. A picture of the initial inspiration will have to do for now.

Ours didn't look this nice, only cost $90, and started to shake badly over 45mph, but had a super reverb sized secret luggage compartment in the back. Made it to Seattle and back a couple times.

– Toxophilite

My first vehicle was a 69 Chrysler Town and County station wagon, a luxury liner on wheels! I bought mine from a friend's father for $200, a royal sum for me at the time. Those old wagons were/are a real joy on the highway, plenty of room for hauling people to and gear. Mine got a whopping 12 mpg with its 383ci engine. Your picture brought back some great memories .

Hilarious! . I think ours got similar mileage and whilst it was obviously mean to be a highway machine it had some suspension problems that made it kind of scary at higher speeds. It had a huge engine and the whole body would torque dramatically if you gave it some gas at a stop sign which was great as an intimidation tactic!

Thanks all for your kind words regarding the video.

Oops, late to the party again. The good news is that the thread gets bumped to the top again.

Another good one, double B. Liked the dissonance in the opening chord sequences, and also your harmonizing with Sarah. As for the mistakes, well, any time you're smiling and laughing, it's just better. So, make more mistakes... I guess?

Anyway, the really important thing here (which I'm sure everyone wants to know) is that my dad had a '62 Rambler. Felt kind of clunky at times, but it rambled around pretty well throughout the western U.S. (and Canada) back in the 60's.

Register Sign in to join the conversation