Your Tunes

Look Back in Amber

I have a rigorous posting schedule on my ütube channel: once every five years, more or less.

So here's a thing. Country Club and maybe a pedal or two. Nice with headphones.

You should post more often, that sounds great!

C over Bb is such a cool chord, then into Chet prog, towards a seamless transit into three-time. Lovely internal motion in the chord melodies wrapped in a velvet duvet of sumptuous modulated ambience.

The swell pedal makes it sound even more like a cathedral as it continues- or is it bringing in a deeper octave? The sound is massive, yet never blunts the clear cut of the Dynasonic whetted knife.

Mighty sweet, mighty. To any prospective listener- Do Look Back In Amber.

Absolutely wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

You should post more often, that sounds great!

– Bluecap

Plus 1.

I was sort of expecting this to be an Oasis cover played on a blonde guitar that had darkened with age.

Very nice, enjoyed the finger picking combined with the plectrum, a skill I have yet to develop. Beutiful tone too.

That was very nice. Love the guitar too.

Ahhh...you really know how to sell Dynas. So majestic...played with real feeling. Those pedal swells at the end were great. etc. I scour youtube for stuff like this and rarely find it...thanks for making my morning.

MORE MORE MORE

Sounds great! The title reminds me of "Jurassic Park" ----(really far back in amber).

Lovely. Well played.

Don't stop.

Nice, Tim!

(What I was thinking when I sold my CC?...)

Really cool Tim! What pedal is taking the attack off?

What is responsible for the volume swell (you don’t appear to be manipulating a volume pedal, but...)? Fantastic melody. Great vid. Now I have something to have stuck in my head all day.

C over Bb is such a cool chord, then into Chet prog, towards a seamless transit into three-time. Lovely internal motion in the chord melodies wrapped in a velvet duvet of sumptuous modulated ambience.

The swell pedal makes it sound even more like a cathedral as it continues- or is it bringing in a deeper octave? The sound is massive, yet never blunts the clear cut of the Dynasonic whetted knife.

Mighty sweet, mighty. To any prospective listener- Do Look Back In Amber.

– ade

If I ever start a cover band, I'm naming it Velvet Duvet. Get it? Cover..... Duvet... Nevermind.....

Great job Tim.

I sometimes play one of your old ones (I think there was 'waltz' in the title?) - don't sue me.

Nicely done, gorgeous all around

Thanks to all you fellers for the kind comments. There are a few blunted notes in there that bother me, and one phrase on which my fingers didn't play the intended melody. For a studio recording, I'd patch together perfect passes of every section, but for video, a straight-through no-frills performance seems the way to go.

The Bb/C wasn't part of whatever original intention there was, it was just what I could finger that served the descending bass and the melody at the same time. I decided on the at-tempo transition to waltz time on the fly; sometimes I pause before launching into it.

The swell pedal makes it sound even more like a cathedral as it continues- or is it bringing in a deeper octave?

Well, the balance of slow attack and straight guitar is (a bit haphazardly) controlled by an expression pedal, so it's dynamic and fluid. With just the right balance, it veers off in an accordian/calliope direction which I didn't exploit much this time through for fear of hearing "well, you make it sound like anything but a guitar." And yeah, an octave comes in with the slowth.

The sound is massive, yet never blunts the clear cut of the Dynasonic whetted knife.

Good - that was the intention. All-Gretsch, melodic with an intentional harmonic structure - but ambient. I hoped the ambient float would be right on the edge of annoying or drawing derision from traditionalists.

Ahhh...you really know how to sell Dynas. So majestic...played with real feeling. Those pedal swells at the end were great. etc. I scour youtube for stuff like this and rarely find it...thanks for making my morning.

I feel like I sound most like myself with Dynas - or like they're the voice I was always looking for. I guess I don't do with them what others do, but I'm a miserable copyist anyway. Left me no choice but play my own stuff. Also, since in general I try to avoid emotions (they're so troublesome), I'm glad I was able to fake feeling. There are another couple of brooding/instrumental/ambient Gretsch things buried in among the Gretsch event coverage on my ütube "channel." You might enjoy them.

Richard, himsez

You win the prize.

I think that's complimentary coming from you, but I have to wonder what prize.

Joao, a zillion years ago you posted a thread called I'm in the Club - the Country Club, which was memorable enough to me that I've since remembered to remember it. The performances of "Besame Mucho" and "Airbag" you posted in that thread, played on your Club, are what brought the model to my sonic attention and sent me straight to Rocky to buy one. I guess I dn't mind that you sold yours though...that leaves a little more Country Club territory for me! You're one of the players I'd like to be more like when I grow up.

Joss, do you know which song? Where you found it? Or can you hum a few bars, maybe I'd remember it. Once I get a song sufficiently recorded, I then feel free to let it lapse from my muscle memory and I often to have to relearn old pieces if I want to play them again. Songs I still haven't recorded stay in my memory better. In any case, unless you made an outrageous pot of money with the song, I wouldn't be inclined to sue. I'm more flattered. Normally I have to pay to have anyone listen to me.

Velvet Duvet, yessir I get it. A more appropriate cover band for me would be A Scratchy Blanket.

"Nice," though. I guess I should post something more obnoxious.

Anyway, thanks to all for listening!

Funny man. As if the birds in my garden (which tend to visit other people's gardens too, volatile bastards, would pay to hear my playing.)

I found the song on this site, maybe 10 years ago? I remember you used it to demo a 125th Annie... If I had more time (and less pride) I'd video myself so you'd know what I'm on about.

I might email it to you actually.

Ah. If it's the 125th Anni piece, that's still up on Ütube. According to views there, it's my greatest hit. That's called "Anniversary Waltz," though it had a different name before I used it for that demo (and a 6120GA by comparison). If I wanted to play it now, I"d have to watch the thing to remember it.

I have ever so many waltzes.

Enjoy it.

That's the one. Lovely piece - I might get back to the clip, chances are I've somewhat strayed from the original architecture.

Register Sign in to join the conversation