Your Tunes

Levee Walking - Chet Atkins

This is a cover of Chet's arrangement of Levee Walking from the Album "My Favorite Guitars". It was written by Jerry Reed and Henry Strzelecki. It's not perfect but it's the best I could do for the moment! :)

VERY tasty, Andrew! If that's your idea of "not perfect," your idea of perfect must be really scary. Applause from Chicago!

What a cool tune, all those chromatic falling banjo rolls attacked with great panache.

For the listener, the song is over in a dazzling flash. When you're in the driving seat, it's the longest 1:57 ever.

For the listener, that bridge pickup is just the nicest, sweetest treble. When you're in the driving seat, all that's in your mind is "Why oh why isn't this thing on the neck pickup- I'm so exposed right now..."

You did it great.

Thanks wgnhim and Ade.

Yes I thought a couple of the banjo rolls were a bit lets say 'hairy' but for the most part it's sort of ok lol. I would have liked it to have been better than ok but the tempo was very challenging. Ade is right it's really very fast. Especially since a lot of the banjo rolls were forward/reverse rolls and the index finger has to work twice per roll which was nasty.

Thanks for listening guys - I'm glad you liked it.

I have said this before, but Chet, like no other, could make the difficult sound and look so easy. He has suckered me in more times than I can count. You're doing a great job, but this is just a difficult tune to get right. Those rolls are killers, and the syncopation is so very critical, especially on this tune.

I love to hear you play, and I love to see you accepting such monstrous challenges.

Best, always.

Thanks Richard - completely agree about Chet and this song. Thanks also for the encouragement and listening I really appreciate it!

I have been tackling the harder tunes deliberately because I've been hoping they will improve my playing quicker. I'm not getting any younger and I'm trying to make up for lost time now that I have some time on my hands to actually practice. While I was working I always wished I had time and now I don't have any excuse not to give it my best effort even if that means sometimes I pull up a bit short.

Sounded great to me Andrew!

I should dig out some of my aul Chet vinyl ,as some of the tunes,like this one, aren't on any of the cd's i have.

A really strong version of this 'seemingly' not too difficult tune! As Richard remarked, some of Chet's tunes do sucker you in to thinking it isn't a great challenge when in fact it's sneaky difficult! You did a great job Andrew!

Aside from the runs and rolls etc, one of the components of Chet's sneakiness was his ability to make what's actually quite a quick tempo sound not that quick. This tune is a good example of that technique. It's all a part of Chet having had the uncanny ability to know exactly what the right tempo should be for his recordings.

Thanks JC and Dave - it definitely was a hard tune. Hopefully one day I'll have another go at doing the rolls a fraction smoother

My record player is stored away these days because my sound system is basically a receiver under my TV and there's no room under the TV to open the lid of the turntable. Most of these tunes are on youtube though if you want a quick listen. There were at least three versions on youtube - two live versions (one on TV and one in concert at Oslo Norway). The live versions were slightly simplified for example in the Oslo version he doesn't play the opening as a roll at all. Nonetheless, the live versions introduce some licks with some fascinating variations so I love all of the versions.

What a cool tune, all those chromatic falling banjo rolls attacked with great panache.

For the listener, the song is over in a dazzling flash. When you're in the driving seat, it's the longest 1:57 ever.

For the listener, that bridge pickup is just the nicest, sweetest treble. When you're in the driving seat, all that's in your mind is "Why oh why isn't this thing on the neck pickup- I'm so exposed right now..."

You did it great.

– ade

I didn't mention it but I really liked your observations about the bridge pickup. It was very observant of you Ade.

Lovely job on this one, Andrew. I also quite enjoy your videos. They just don't come along quite often enough. One of your past videos, Man of Mystery, inspired me to learn that song and now my band plays it.

Great job. Keep it up.

Lovely job on this one, Andrew. I also quite enjoy your videos. They just don't come along quite often enough. One of your past videos, Man of Mystery, inspired me to learn that song and now my band plays it.

Great job. Keep it up.

– Ric12string

Ha that's very cool Ric - that whole surf guitar era was great with the Ventures, The shadows and the Atlantics. Actually if you haven't heard the song Bombora by the Atlantics you might like it. They are Australian. It's on youtube if you'd like a listen.

You did it great.

– ade

Great playing and tone. I agree with Ade's comments especially the treble pickup part. It sounded great. GaryL

Great playing and tone. I agree with Ade's comments especially the treble pickup part. It sounded great. GaryL

– GaryL

Thank you Gary! yes he was right on the money there - he's very observant - not just about the nice tone from the bridge pickup but it does leave less room to hide. I found the bridge pickup was best for getting a good strong artificial harmonic and while I was working out the tune I looked at the footage available of Chet and I'm almost positive he had the switch on the bridge pickup as well!

Ha that's very cool Ric - that whole surf guitar era was great with the Ventures, The shadows and the Atlantics. Actually if you haven't heard the song Bombora by the Atlantics you might like it. They are Australian. It's on youtube if you'd like a listen.

– MrAstro

Of course, Bombora is a classic of the genre. I will look forward to more of your videos.

Good stuff Andrew, sounding a lot like the recording too so agree with Ade as per usual

Register Sign in to join the conversation