Electromatics

This guy did something kinda cool with a Pro Jet….

Pretty well thought out mods. Too bad about the strap button; it looks like he didn't bother to pre-drill for the stud and just jammed it in a chipped the finish. Wonder why he didn't touch that up when he did the top. Otherwise pretty nice job

the -added 2 new gfs pickups!, now it sounds like a gretsch??? line..reads like a bit of creative license...haha

hey, enthusiasm oft counts

cheers

the -added 2 new gfs pickups!, now it sounds like a gretsch??? line..reads like a bit of creative license...haha

cheers

– neatone

Some have said that the GFS NYII's give those guitars a "Gretsch" character that the mini-humbuckers were lacking. Plus they drop right in... can't beat that!

not commenting on tonal possibilities as much as the actual linguistic non sequitur…gfs -gretsch..but ok…

hey i like egmond pickups..anythings possible..haha

cheers

ps -ur guitar?

not commenting on tonal possibilities as much as the actual linguistic non sequitur…gfs -gretsch..but ok…

hey i like egmond pickups..anythings possible..haha

cheers

ps -ur guitar?

– neatone

Nope! I'm not nearly as gung-ho as this guy. I do own a modified Pro Jet, but it's not as gnarly as this one. Oh, and I would have fixed that strap button goof also.....

did you change out your pickups?

cheers

Replaced the stock mini-humbuckers, which I actually didn't think were all that bad, with GFS NYII's, which brought that guitar to life.

gfs nyII is made like a small p90…will have some growl.. but the alnico III magnets will tame it a bit…it's a nice pup… getting it right proximity to strings is crucial

enjoy

cheers

cheers

– neatone

With GFS the guitar sound all that you want except Gretsch.

yea well the classic gretsch pickups ie. dynasonic, filtertron and hilotron are all fairly idionsyncratic vintage designs…magnets off to the side, small wire, lots of variables..not what a company like gfs can replicate at the price at which they want to sell…even their surf 90 which is a nice sounding pickup, is a faux dynasonic..without all the polepiece adjustment springs and metalwork

the nyII is similar to the dearmond 2k..but again sans the adjusting metalwork (which contributes to the sound!)

the top guy for gretschy reproductions is tv jones..that guy really knows his stuff..when he makes tweaks to a design they are very well thought out..he's impressive…but of course alot more $$$ than gfs…a different market

cheers

Yeah, I don't see the point in putting a $300 pair of pickups into a $300 guitar.... If I were to purchase a Duo Jet it would be a different story. The GFS pickups I've tried so far hold their own, tone-wise. Their goal seems to be producing nice pickups that fit into weird configurations (i.e., filtertron-ish pickups that fit into a full humbucker cavity, etc.). The NYII's are P-90/Dynasonic-ish but drop right into those weird-sized mini-humbucker cavities. The Surf 90's are Dynasonic-ish in appearance, P90-ish tone wise, but drop right into a standard humbucker slot. I think that kind of thing is their niche. I think the TV Jones niche seems to be very high-quality builds of existing pickup designs.

Is that a Paul Setzer pick guard?

I need a sparkle guard for my black Pro Jet. It needs to be custom cut though because I have P-90's in mine. Silver sparkle would be the last touch.

Is that a Paul Setzer pick guard?

I need a sparkle guard for my black Pro Jet. It needs to be custom cut though because I have P-90's in mine. Silver sparkle would be the last touch.

– Scott Schneider

Did you have to modify the Pro Jet to fit the P90's?

I can see the point of putting $300 pickups in a $300 dollar..

Iffffff, the guitar...

Plays well, (straight neck, good fret job etc) and you like it, and the only thing that lets it down is the pickups/electronics.

It's not all about the actual dollar value of a guitar.

Did you have to modify the Pro Jet to fit the P90's?

– stratman

It's an older one. Soapbars drop right in with a slight gap all around. Looks fine with a black guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation