Modern Gretsch Guitars

What is this?

Just yesterday i picked up a jet from a used guitar shop in Portland Oregon and I am having a hard time finding any information about it. Seems to be somewhat of a rarity. Can't even find a picture of it online. I do know that there are a handful of upgrades that have been done to the guitar. There is no serial number anywhere not in the cavities or on the headstock. Any ideas?

Looks like a heavily modded Electromatic Pro Jet... the version previous to the current one (current ones ahve hump block inlays). Looks cool though!

Can you give the serial number? That will help narrow down the year it was made.

It looks like it's black sparkle finish, and it has neo thumbnail inlays, electromatic on the headstock. Hmmmmm.....

It has filtertrons and not gretschbuckers or those crappy mini pups that many of the electromatic jets had so that's cool. They might even be TV Jones pickups, you could take one out and see if it has the TV Jones sticker on the underside.

There is no serial number anywhere to be found. The sparkle is really unique on it though and from what I understand was discontinued in 2002. The color is slightly different than the black sparkle. The flecks are huge. As for the pickups I do notice that say "patent applied for" which tells me that they are aged as well. Truth is I just want to find a little out about the guitar--it plays and sounds amazing, like no guitar I have ever played.

Can you get a pic of the headstock? With no serial number it must be a pre-Fender electromatic/synchromatic. Those came with a serial number sticker on the heel of the neck, rather than a silkscreened number that you see nowadays on the back of the headstock.

It would be interesting to see the pickup routes. I'm willing to bet the filtertrons are an after market upgrade, not stock.

Is there a number engraved into that semi-circular control plate on the back of the guitar? If not, remove that plate and see if there is a label inside the control cavity.

That semi-circular plate is typical of pre-FMIC Jets.

Can you get a pic of the headstock? With no serial number it must be a pre-Fender electromatic/synchromatic. Those came with a serial number sticker on the heel of the neck, rather than a silkscreened number that you see nowadays on the back of the headstock.

It would be interesting to see the pickup routes. I'm willing to bet the filtertrons are an after market upgrade, not stock.

– built4speed

I believe that the pickups are not stock. Neither is the bigsby or Grover tubers. I am beginning to think that this guitar may have a little age to it.

I have also pulled the plates off and there is nothing under there. I think they were replaced too.

I say it's kind of a pre-production FMIC Electromatic and they made some design changes for cutting the costs until they went regular as we know them. (Note the 2-switch routing for 1 switch only.)

The pickups might be aftermarket indeed but I say the rest is original; even the Bigsby.

That's a cool guitar!

That's a great guitar and an awesome find! It looks like all the upgrades you would want on a Pro Jet have been done to this one already. From the shape of the headstock it appears to be built after Fender took over production. The pre FMIC Jets had a bigger headstock I believe.

The bigsby is aftermarket, there are two little holes where the original tailpiece was mounted.

It is a cool guitar and I am beyond pleased with it. The upgrades that have been done to the guitar cost more than I paid for it. This guitar plays and sounds better than the les Paul I was about to buy.

I am really surprised to see they put ebony boards on electromatic jets

That's a great guitar and an awesome find! It looks like all the upgrades you would want on a Pro Jet have been done to this one already. From the shape of the headstock it appears to be built after Fender took over production. The pre FMIC Jets had a bigger headstock I believe.

– BuddyHollywood

That was the case with some of the pre-Fender pro-line jets, but not necessarily the electromatic/synchromatic Jets. I used to own a Synchromatic Junior Jet from the pre-Fender days, and the headstock shape matches the one the OP posted:

Great guitar by the way. Love that black sparkle.

I am beginning to think that this guitar may have a little age to it.

I'd say it's no older than mid to late 90's

It looks like rosewood to me but it just might be the lighting of the photo

Dude, I couldn't walk out of the store without it. I am asking all these questions because I just want to know a little about the guitar. If there was a serial number it would be easier. I have read that these guitars are chambered, but it weighs in at 14 lbs. I have never picked up a chambered guitar that is heavy like this. Also, would you assume that this guitar was made in the USA or overseas?

I am beginning to think that this guitar may have a little age to it.

I'd say it's no older than mid to late 90's

It looks like rosewood to me but it just might be the lighting of the photo

– MacStevenXIII DiabloGato.net

Looks and feels like rosewood.

Fantastic find. You should be very pleased with this for a long time!

Dude, I couldn't walk out of the store without it. I am asking all these questions because I just want to know a little about the guitar. If there was a serial number it would be easier. I have read that these guitars are chambered, but it weighs in at 14 lbs. I have never picked up a chambered guitar that is heavy like this. Also, would you assume that this guitar was made in the USA or overseas?

– Rockwithdave

This probably isn't chambered. Gretsch didn't really start chambering the electromatic jets until recent years.

This is almost definitely made overseas

Register Sign in to join the conversation