Other Players

Imelda May at Isle of Wight Festival

Sky Arts currently showing highlights of this weekend's Isle of Wight Festival. Imelda and band sounding as good and tight as usual — but guitar player with a Burns?

Sky Arts currently showing highlights of this weekend's Isle of Wight Festival. Imelda and band sounding as good and tight as usual — but guitar player with a Burns?

– Dave_K

... as in "Darrel Higham with a Burns" or "NEW, completely different guitar player with a Burns"...?

Anders

Well, it didn't look like Darrel to me, although the camera stayed very much on Imelda. He also used a sunburst (Gibson?) archtop.

And here I go, answering my own question: That's Oliver Darling on guitar. Excellent player, who used to be with London based blues band, the Cadillac Kings. I actually subbed for him on a CK gig a few years ago (if he hadn't left them by then, I can't remember). Great guitar player, and a nice guy.

Darrel was (hopefully) just home, sick. Or watching their daughter.

Darrel was probably looking after their daughter, working on his new album and preparing for a forthcoming UK tour.

Not privy to anything: he's been posting stuff on Facebook.

Last time I looked, Imelda had a handful of gigs this year and IIRC all festivals (not tours).

Anyone in London should try to get to this if there are tickets left:-

https://www.facebook.com/ev...

I watched this on tv from the on demand service from Sky Arts ,I thought Oliver's tone was a bit thin sounding,compared to Darrel's tone,can't beat a big ole hollow body,get that man a Gretsch and quick!

I just saw the reason Darrel was not in the band but will refrain from posting anything here.

Best wishes to Darrel and Imelda for the future.

I watched this on tv from the on demand service from Sky Arts ,I thought Oliver's tone was a bit thin sounding,compared to Darrel's tone,can't beat a big ole hollow body,get that man a Gretsch and quick!

– JCHiggy

you're right the sound of his guitar is thin. It's a good player but it's not easy to play after all of this years with Darrel on guitar.

True.

He is a good player ,it might just have been the mix for tv ,maybe it sounded better there on the stage.

Looking forward to Darrel's new album with his band, smothered with the custom shop Gretsch orange falcon!! Some surprise guests on it as well.

Best wishes to Darrel on his new venture. He is still very much one of our own on here.

Imelda's band will look/sound different without Darrel. I wish them both the best as well. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Darrel is doing an album with my buddy Jittery Jack. Very excited for that.

Register Sign in to join the conversation