Other Players

Imelda May at Isle of Wight Festival

Sky Arts currently showing highlights of this weekend's Isle of Wight Festival. Imelda and band sounding as good and tight as usual — but guitar player with a Burns?

Sky Arts currently showing highlights of this weekend's Isle of Wight Festival. Imelda and band sounding as good and tight as usual — but guitar player with a Burns?

– Dave_K

... as in "Darrel Higham with a Burns" or "NEW, completely different guitar player with a Burns"...?

Anders

Well, it didn't look like Darrel to me, although the camera stayed very much on Imelda. He also used a sunburst (Gibson?) archtop.

And here I go, answering my own question: That's Oliver Darling on guitar. Excellent player, who used to be with London based blues band, the Cadillac Kings. I actually subbed for him on a CK gig a few years ago (if he hadn't left them by then, I can't remember). Great guitar player, and a nice guy.

Darrel was (hopefully) just home, sick. Or watching their daughter.

Darrel was probably looking after their daughter, working on his new album and preparing for a forthcoming UK tour.

Not privy to anything: he's been posting stuff on Facebook.

Last time I looked, Imelda had a handful of gigs this year and IIRC all festivals (not tours).

Anyone in London should try to get to this if there are tickets left:-

https://www.facebook.com/ev...

I watched this on tv from the on demand service from Sky Arts ,I thought Oliver's tone was a bit thin sounding,compared to Darrel's tone,can't beat a big ole hollow body,get that man a Gretsch and quick!

Register Sign in to join the conversation