Your Tunes

I Knew The Bride

Always been a huge Dave Edmunds fan and this Nick Lowe composition is just about my favourite. It's been a mainstay of my live canon for the best part of 30 years, but I never got around to banging it down on tape. My trusty E-16 is long gone so you'll have to make do with a few artfully arranged 1's and 0's.

I Knew The Bride

Nice job on that one, Deke. Great playing on a fun song.

Love this song, great job!

Thanks HB, and you too Richard!

In case anyone is interested, gear details are as follows:

• Drums: Toontracks EZDrummer
  • Bass: 1972 Gibson Grabber
  • 2 Rhythm electric guitars: Homebuild T.90 loaded telecaster
  • 2 acoustic guitars: Takamine (can't remember the model) and an Epiphone EJ-200
  • Lead guitar: Gretsch 6120 SSLVO
  • 3 vocal lines.

Mulitracked into Logic Pro X. Audio interface was Focusrite Saffire, guitar interface was Line 6 Port GT (or something like that).

like your style Deke! Learned to play that when he first released it. Always enjoyed playing the guitar solo break. Tenny, copycat echo, Fender bandmaster. could really feel it everytime I played it. Always played it evry gig we did. Great reaction from audience.! Also did queen of hearts still got original sheet music for both in my big and varied box of music. Davedee

One of my favorite tunes!

EDIT:

Back in the mid-80's I had to fly Zurich-Atlanta in the Winter. Fierce Headwinds. I had the center seat in the back third of Coach...2-5-2 seating configuration, an L1011.

I never left my seat. I had 8 beers. Wife on one side, Sister-in-Law on the other.

I listened to the Rock Channel with headphones for 11 hours straight, about a 35 minute cycle.

"I Knew the Bride" was the highlight track!

My wife considered it an out of body experience for me. We watched for hours as the Flight Plan TV Map kept backing up the little plane image. We almost had to land to Refuel.

Great Fun hearing your Recording...Top Notch.

Thanks HB, and you too Richard!

In case anyone is interested, gear details are as follows:

• Drums: Toontracks EZDrummer
  • Bass: 1972 Gibson Grabber
  • 2 Rhythm electric guitars: Homebuild T.90 loaded telecaster
  • 2 acoustic guitars: Takamine (can't remember the model) and an Epiphone EJ-200
  • Lead guitar: Gretsch 6120 SSLVO
  • 3 vocal lines.

Mulitracked into Logic Pro X. Audio interface was Focusrite Saffire, guitar interface was Line 6 Port GT (or something like that).

– Deke Martin

All that and it still sounds great! Sounds thoroughly professional Deke. I love Rockpile and Dave And Nick. One song we play in our band is Switchboard Susan. Do you do that as well?

That sounded just great. Made my day.

A favourite track since its release and a great version.

Sweet Little Lisa next?

Great stuff!

That was a very fun listen!

Nick Lowe's music video of that tune is a comical tour de force (farce?).

Played bass in the 80's for a cover band that recorded that one for their CD! Loved it then, fell back in love with it just now.

Great job. May just have to bring it back again myself, though mostly I'm a piano guy these days... may not sound quite the same.

(edit- Queen of Hearts... haven't played that in years, not since the same band that did I Knew the Bride...filed under "feeling old". That was more than 3 decades ago)

Nice job, Deke! Sounded great! Thanks for posting!

Fantastic my friend! Always been a Dave Edmunds fan too and you did him proud with that!

A right banging version there Deke. Two thumbs up.

Great stuff! Long-time Lowe-fan overhere. I did my own version on a cd with all Lowe-songs (Loweland, on Soundcloud), but i'm affraid you're version is way better.

Very cool. The world needs more Nick Lowe.

Aw, thanks guys.

It gets its premier on skyhigh radio imminently. My buddy’s playing it (and maybe one or two of Rachel’s) on his show tonight. 8-10pm gmt (just started) if you fancy listening in.

skyhighradio.co.uk

Great job! Especially love the way the acoustic sits with the snare. And the lead; short and sweet!

Register Sign in to join the conversation