Vintage Gretsch Guitars

mid-60s Tenny in custom white?

Ebay has had a lot of auctions in the past few years from Japanese dealers who show very interesting vintage Gretsch guitar examples, but frustratingly little information about them. Here's the latest one I've found...

What think ya'll about the legitimacy of this one?

I've got no serial number info to go by, but am thinking mid-60s as a result of the headstock page being there.

Ed, when you see these odd-balls (Ed-Balls?) do you ever reach out to get more info to confirm? I would think they would be responsive to the His Royal Gretschness.

Ed, when you see these odd-balls (Ed-Balls?) do you ever reach out to get more info to confirm? I would think they would be responsive to the His Royal Gretschness.

– NJBob

Thanks Bob... although I've spent a fair amount of time over the years corresponding with Ebay sellers, I have not pursued these Japanese based dealers for info. Perhaps I didn't get much of a response in the early days, and just gave up.

I've bought a few Japanese guitars lately and one space echo and the sellers were very communicative and pretty helpful I say give it a try. That finish looks pretty blotchy and yellow Is that the photos?

What about the real F-holes. That combined with the finish would make me think this is somebody's refinish. The yellow would seem to be the lacquer on top (looks like whiter chips near the edges of the guitar) I'm not the expert you are though, that's for sure!!

Remember my righteous '63 Tenny in original 6120 orange.. got it from Gruhn's ... it was the real deal. Still, it was met with what can only be described as massive disinterest. No one offered over $1400 for it, so it was a trade.

I don't know if this is helpful. In 1967 I bought a sunburst Anny. at Ben's music store in New York. At the time there was a white Anny. on display. I don't know if it was a standard or a custom paint job.

What about the real F-holes. That combined with the finish would make me think this is somebody's refinish. The yellow would seem to be the lacquer on top (looks like whiter chips near the edges of the guitar) I'm not the expert you are though, that's for sure!!

– Toxophilite

I was thinking the f-holes are the typical decal... but looking closer perhaps they are "open". I can't really tell.

The F-holes are for sure open with no apparent binding, You can see the wood on the inside of the back through them quite clearly.

I magnified the pic and the f-holes are most certainly open as I can clearly see the inside surface of the [wood] back.

Ok... open f-holes then. I would agree that this leaves the authenticity of the finish in serious question. Thanks for the good eyes guys!

If these f-holes were opened by someone other than the factory, they sure did a nice job. I also wonder about the blotchiness of the finish or could it just be the photography?

Personally, much as I really like blond finishes, I'm not enamoured with them on a non-spruce top, the exceptions being a very flamey or tiger stripe pattern as we see on some 6120's, vintage or reissue. If this one was uniformly the shade we see around the two lower control knobs, I think it would look really sharp!

Can't find the listing on ebay? Anyone have the link please?

I remember seeing Curtis Novak's 6118 green Annie in person and the top was blotchy. I assumed that was because of cig smoke and playin in the bars.

photo gda5.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gre...

Though there aren't anymore pictures than you see here and even less information. The finish is a solid colour. Not blonde.

– Toxophilite

Thanks Bernie. Doesn't look like a solid color to me but I'll take your word for it. Could the blotchiness be a result of the top not being primed correctly, as was pointed out in an older thread, possibly yours? Price seems a tad high, but does look is good shape.

Blotchiness could be off gassing from something. You can see it's white near the edges Dave

OK.....We all know the factory would do a special finish if a customer came up with the bux, but I think if a seller is going to represent a piece as a special order/custom/whatever, there needs to be reliable documentation. Otherwise it's considered modded. As much as our little hearts flutter at the sight of A Sacred White Buffalo(or something),the commerce in vintage guitars is still just that-commerce.Caveat emptor.

Those are not factory F holes.

– Joe Desperado (aka: Jack Daniels)

I agree. I'll go a step further and say that if they were factory, they'd be standard oversized style like other custom order examples (disputed '59 Gent notwithstanding).

I've got no serial number info to go by, but am thinking mid-60s as a result of the headstock page being there.

– kc_eddie_b

Seller says '67, and if it's got the plaque, then it's very likely to be in the coded SN era, so the SN should be stamped in gold on the back of the headstock. You've got a white Annie, so you know what it should look like.

The fact that there isn't a picture of the serial number doesn't give me much confidence. And I have to say, $3,320 is a very low price for a Japanese dealer to be asking for a custom finish Gretsch, which makes me suspect the seller also doesn't have a lot of confidence in its originality.

I agree. I'll go a step further and say that if they were factory, they'd be standard oversized style like other custom order examples (disputed '59 Gent notwithstanding).

– Afire

Correct. They would be the standard oversize with the flat spot at the two tips or they would be bound with the smooth tips. But regardless, those F holes were cut by hand and are disproportionate and non-symmetrical which I've never seen on a Gretsch.

Register Sign in to join the conversation