Your Tunes

Explode Yourself, Then Convulse — Middle Eastern funk on Tele and …

Nice to see you back on the GDP, MSD.

Trippy and Fun! I like that!

He's back!

I was wondering how that oud project came out. Nice!

Really enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks all!.... Its good to be back. The double neck creation is doing great.... I love it and it's serving me very well...

This is great! Something entirely different to wake up to on a Monday morning! Thanks for posting, MSD!

Some talent and creativity for sure but it left me feeling like my soul was drug over a cheese grater

That's an interesting assessment for sure but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by bit lol.... Can u explain a bit more?

That's an interesting assessment for sure but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by bit lol.... Can u explain a bit more?

– Mustafa Stefan Dill

Your talent and creativity shines through. The way the piece made me feel was less than warm and fuzzy. I suppose it's all the dissonance and tension in the piece. It might be me not being accustomed to a lot of "middle eastern funk." From the pure experience of how it made me feel, it just made me feel agitated, ireitated and pissy. But, I feel the same way listening to most heavy rock/metal. I'm curious what your inspiration was in writing this? Again, your talent is inspiring I guess I just don't understand what stirs someone to create such a piece. By the title, it is obvious you were aware of the disturbing quality of the music. Not that all music has to be warm and fluffy. I would licken it to a disturbing movie. I might pay for the ticket but I would walk out to save myself the anguish of being exposed to it.

Inspired! Amazing. Made me feel like my soul was transported through webs of tickling flames of love.

Your talent and creativity shines through. The way the piece made me feel was less than warm and fuzzy. I suppose it's all the dissonance and tension in the piece. It might be me not being accustomed to a lot of "middle eastern funk." From the pure experience of how it made me feel, it just made me feel agitated, ireitated and pissy. But, I feel the same way listening to most heavy rock/metal. I'm curious what your inspiration was in writing this? Again, your talent is inspiring I guess I just don't understand what stirs someone to create such a piece. By the title, it is obvious you were aware of the disturbing quality of the music. Not that all music has to be warm and fluffy. I would licken it to a disturbing movie. I might pay for the ticket but I would walk out to save myself the anguish of being exposed to it.

– Hipbone

Ah ok fair enough. :). It wasn't written with that in mind - I have a lot more dissonant and angular stuff in the past catalog - but it does a classicMiddle Eastern scale (hijaz) that some may not be used to. I was trying g to go for a no holds barred funky dirty vibe, fun and celebratory but earnest. My wife says its early 80s era Miles in Beirut, which I think is apt. Title came later courtesy of my sons random kitchen magnet poetry but it fits on a lot of levels. There's a lot of ways to interpret that title...

Inspired! Amazing. Made me feel like my soul was transported through webs of tickling flames of love.

– Strummerson

That's far too kind thanks Ori! Can I quote you? :) Oh can anyone share how to embed YouTube vids here? I actually looked for threads on that and thread titles came up but no actual posts....

That's far too kind thanks Ori! Can I quote you? :) Oh can anyone share how to embed YouTube vids here? I actually looked for threads on that and thread titles came up but no actual posts....

– Mustafa Stefan Dill

Try just pasting the URL to the You Tube Video of your choice. Bax (or his programming) will do the rest (I think).

This is really, really awesome. I love it!!

I just wish it had a "head"...

It's just my 'songwriting' bias, but this hits me as more of an extended jam (undoubtedly exactly what you intended) than a song with a head that would bookend the awesomeness of the jam. The beginning is more of a shared modal center than a 'melody'. It's there again at 6:45, with the contrary motion harmony, almost a melody but not quite. Having the two lead instruments execute a unison melody line at the apex of the jam would (to me) blast the listener into the stratosphere...but that's just me

Sufficiently exploded and convulsed, MSD! Nice work!

So good to see and hear you again, Mustafa.

The oud is a monster glider- thick and glutinous. It overdrives incredibly well. The Tele is such a great contrast with sitar spires of sound.

Swoop statement, spiked reply. Swoop statement, spiked reply. Swoop statement, spiked reply.

This is really, really awesome. I love it!!

I just wish it had a "head"...

It's just my 'songwriting' bias, but this hits me as more of an extended jam (undoubtedly exactly what you intended) than a song with a head that would bookend the awesomeness of the jam. The beginning is more of a shared modal center than a 'melody'. It's there again at 6:45, with the contrary motion harmony, almost a melody but not quite. Having the two lead instruments execute a unison melody line at the apex of the jam would (to me) blast the listener into the stratosphere...but that's just me

– Rhythmisking

it actually does have a head.... After the setup, the melody structure is 7 phrases articulated on the guitar (though there is a oud harmony line on the third phrase), with room in between for the distorto-oud ( or, live , for the rhythm section) to testify and fill. Seventh phrase is a near recap of the first phrase.

The sequence of phrases starts at 1:54-3:35, then after the solo exchanges, the sequence recaps at 6:13 -- 7:52.

I tried to identify the phrases as distinct from the soloing by double tracking them and offsetting with a little delay,but it may not have been enough. The phrases are insanely difficult on the oud, the piece being in A flat, but utlimately I may try to track those melodies on the oud....

hope that helps decipher it a bit!

So good to see and hear you again, Mustafa.

The oud is a monster glider- thick and glutinous. It overdrives incredibly well. The Tele is such a great contrast with sitar spires of sound.

Swoop statement, spiked reply. Swoop statement, spiked reply. Swoop statement, spiked reply.

– ade

thank you sir!... yep you got the idea on the textures, exactly... honored youre hearing it as i did.... thanks andyJ, parabar, rhythmisking, et. al. for the support... glad folks like it :)

Very atmospheric, some clever contrasts, well put together composition, recorded well and played with confidence and assurance, by someone who knows what he wants to do, and how to do it. Very fine indeed, I really like this a lot.

Also, how do you pull off being in two places at one time?

Love the distorto-oud! I remember hearing about your plans for it some time ago, glad to see how it came out. What is the tuning? Those slides make me want something fretless.

thanks NSM :)

Strummerson: , i filemed different passses, and then layered it together... the split screen editing in Sony took a little while to figure out lol, i dont think i got it quite right in every spot, but overall it s ok, i think.

Otter: thnaks! the tuning on the oud is, low to high, C, G (or F sometimes), A, d, g, c, f... i love fretless and am about to post another piece that goes back and forth bewtween oud and fretless guitar...

Register Sign in to join the conversation