Your Tunes

Dance Away From Me - The Colorifics

Here's a ballad-ish number I wrote relatively recently. It's supposed to be slower but my drummer counted it in rather excitedly and it ended up being more mid-tempo. Originally written in D sharp I had to change it to A# to suit the singer's range, requiring some interesting transposing of chord shapes and the solo.

For a self-taught player with very rudimentary theory that can be challenging. I tend to really like using open strings if I can. Transposing often puts the kibosh on that. For example the solo originally started on the 3rd fret and was mostly in the first position, Now it starts on the 10th fret and is between the 7th and 17th fret. It took some time to get it half decent sounding.

I'm still wondering what my drummer was laughing about.... but I love those sorts of things in recordings regardless.

Some lovely sounding chords going on there,transposed or not,very nice.

I've enjoyed all the vids you've posted Toxo even though i haven't commented,brilliant stuff sir.

Mid-tempo was/is a happy accident and I think harder to pull off successfully than a ballad. I really want a dvd with any in-between commentary; you all have such great musical chemistry.

Incredibly entertaining Bernie!! A few things that make this song, like so many of the Colorifics, work so well: Sarah's voice just drips clarity and feeling with her soft tones and has an exquisite storytelling quality to it. And she has such a nice smile telling you the story.

Your arrangement has the lyrics working nicely with the score but the brilliance here is that while we hear your guitar accompaniment behind Sarah's vocals, it never intrudes on her, just adds to them. Tone of your Gretsch also collaborates well with Sarah's voice. I bright sounding solidbody just wouldn't give the tonal flavor needed for your group's "sound". A wonderful relaxing song!

Incredibly entertaining Bernie!! A few things that make this song, like so many of the Colorifics, work so well: Sarah's voice just drips clarity and feeling with her soft tones and has an exquisite storytelling quality to it. And she has such a nice smile telling you the story.

Your arrangement has the lyrics working nicely with the score but the brilliance here is that while we hear your guitar accompaniment behind Sarah's vocals, it never intrudes on her, just adds to them. Tone of your Gretsch also collaborates well with Sarah's voice. I bright sounding solidbody just wouldn't give the tonal flavor needed for your group's "sound". A wonderful relaxing song!

– Windsordave

Thanks Dave In this one the guitar came first and it's kind of a motowny sixties rhythm style that leaves lot's of room . As such when I was making up the melody and lyrics it was very natural to just float overtop of the groove. The 'solo' was thought up last and I used it to outro the song too as it seemed to make sense.

For me songwriting is mostly like that, "what feels right?" It's fun to go out on a limb too, but mostly it's a pretty quick and instinctive process. If I could post an mp3 here I'd put up the original writing mix as it might prove amusing to hear how basically similar it is to this live performance. I'll put it up in the 'radio' on my profile if anyone wants to compare.

Nice, man! Thanks for sharing!

I always enjoy these videos Bernard, your band has a rare chemistry. I always share these videos with my wife, and we're both huge Colorific fans!

Man, that is outstanding. Love the playing and the singer is smooth as glass, too. Great tune, deft playing, and gorgeous tone. Love this! Thanks for posting (and post moar)!

Register Sign in to join the conversation