Your Tunes

Copper Kettle - Chet Atkins Cover

I don't normally sing but I made an exception for this one - be kind I also pulled out a resonator and tuned it to Dobro tuning for a fill in the middle of the tune.

This is a cover of Chet Atkins' classic arrangement of A.F. Beddoe's song Copper Kettle.

I've tried to make the cover as close to the original song as possible and have beat mapped the tempo to the original tune. The video is tiled into four separate panels to show each part with the exception of the drums. Hope you enjoy.

The fingerpicking part uses a Gretsch 6120, the rhythm parts are on a Maton EM325C, the slide part is played on a cheap Chinese Resonator and the Bass is a modified Fender Squier with a preamp and active pickups. The drum part is a sampled kit in Logic Pro X.

Pretty good. Don't worry about your singing - It sorted of sound like Chet, too, at first.

This is fun! It sounds great. I like your singing. It's honest and in key. What more do you want?

Thanks buddy - appreciate it.

Thanks also Taylor - I was embarrassed to have to sing because I never do it - I just had to have a thick skin and give it a go for once. In terms of sounding a bit like Chet - that's a cool thing for you to say.

I'll tell you one funny thing - because I'm Australian my accent is a bit lazy on the words that end with an 'r'. So for CoppeR, I might naturally say CoppA or JunipeR i'd say JunipA. So when I sang this tune I had pronounce my 'r's or I decided I'd sound like Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwin if you know what I'm talking about

I enjoyed that sir!

– JCHiggy

Thanks JC - thanks for listening and the encouragement!

Thanks buddy - appreciate it.

Thanks also Taylor - I was embarrassed to have to sing because I never do it - I just had to have a thick skin and give it a go for once. In terms of sounding a bit like Chet - that's a cool thing for you to say.

I'll tell you one funny thing - because I'm Australian my accent is a bit lazy on the words that end with an 'r'. So for CoppeR, I might naturally say CoppA or JunipeR i'd say JunipA. So when I sang this tune I had pronounce my 'r's or I decided I'd sound like Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwin if you know what I'm talking about

– MrAstro

Since Aussie is pretty much British English with a Southern drawl, it's not that much of a stretch.

Chet didn't sing much, and when he did, it was mostly on humorous tunes, like this one.

BUT, he also had a more sentimental side, to him, too.

I also liked his singing on "Still write my name in the Snow"

Excellent work Andrew! And a fun video with the different panels. Very true to the original with the Anita Kerr Singers.

Nice work on a great Chet arrangement. Sounded great. GaryL

Thanks Dave and Gary.

Good job Andrew, I'd give my eye teeth to be able to play like you!

Register Sign in to join the conversation