Your Tunes

Colony Six

Nice, Reminiscent to the Byrds in the 60s.

"The Prisoner" and "Danger Man" didn't play much here in the US as best I remember, but I do know of Patrick McGoohan.

The Prisoner played here in the US. I remember anxiously awaiting each episode. So did Danger Man, but in the states it was called "Secret Agent" with a theme song "Secret Agent Man" by Johnny Rivers.

I certainly remember the "Secret Agent Man" song, struggling to remember much about the shows...

Thanks all for your responses, much appreciated.

I fancied writing a tune so cheesy that the Monkees might turn their noses up at it. The sort of track that would function in a Scooby Doo chase sequence. Having set the bar so low, I hope it has succeeded.

Danger Man is an excellent series. In every way the equal of the other secret agent, very possibly even better. Colony 3 was the name of an episode, upgraded to a six for obvious reasons. The existence of an old band by the same name is cause for amusement- no matter how bad an idea one might have, someone else not only thought of it already but actually ran with it. Fun with a capital F.

Oh yes, and what a fun song you made, ade! The Dukes of Stratosphere at the beach. ;?D

Wouldn't mind the vocals mixed a bit higher.

Thought the very same thing Bob. Re-uploaded with a bolder vocal mix. Better to hang for a sheep than a lamb.

Thanks for the very sound advice.

Fun song and I liked all the Prisoner references, e.g. the rover. Kinda wanted to hear a zither for some reason.

Danger Man is an excellent series. In every way the equal of the other secret agent, very possibly even better.

Yup. I've been watching all the spy shows from the '60's that I never got to see and Danger Man aka Secret Agent Man is the best and most "realistic."

Nice, Reminiscent to the Byrds in the 60s.

– Suprdave

+1. Enjoyed it.

Thought the very same thing Bob. Re-uploaded with a bolder vocal mix. Better to hang for a sheep than a lamb.

Thanks for the very sound advice.

– ade

Much better.

Nice one Ade, didn't expect Long John Silver to have that high a voice haha

I love the old 60s shows The Prisoner being one of many: The Avengers; Man in a suitcase; Randall and Hopkirk; The Champions; The Saint - the list goes on.

New Colony Six was a '60s Chicago band that had a couple of regional hits. Johnny Rivers was far better known and did pretty well. He and I share the same birthday. One of the oldie TV networks is running The Avengers and The Saint, but The Prisoner is something that I haven't seen in decades.

Vocals replaced, streamlined mix. Taffy you have it right- Long John should never be so squeaky as that.

https://soundcloud.com/thre...

All the feedback has been extremely helpful. The song is drek but it's now much, much nicer drek. Thanks all.

Newsflash, the Monkees turned it down. Result.

Another good one, Ade. You've certainly nailed the business of getting a good cohesive recorded sound. I think I hear a compressor on the 12-string. Is that a pedal or a plug-in? Back in the day I spent many happy times down at Portmeirion — and many happy hours watching The Prisoner and wondering what the hell was going on. I even bought a rollneck sweater!

Taffy, last year I did an an interview with one of the set dressers on Randall & Hopkirk, Deceased; Department S and Jason King. A fascinating conversation and most illuminating on the hectic schedule of working for producer Monty Berman. I love those old shows for the atmosphere, vivid music, adventure setting and the street scenes. You might quite enjoy it.

Thanks Dave for the kind words and for introducing me to the Revelation 12 string. It's been a great instrument, full of quaint inspiration. This one was done on the bridge pickup with the rotary tone choke full down- for that really translucent sound. Direct into the board through a valve mic preamp and compressed into a sausage of sound.

Portmeirion is on my list of places to visit. I especially enjoy the first dozen episodes where it's mostly in and around the Village. The last few shows seem to spiral out of control somewhat. But the first dozen, incredible.

I really like your "nicer drek"! I listened to it a few times and now I'm listening to it again.

I enjoyed it, it has an authentic 60s sound. The Monkees recorded much worse songs than this ;)

Register Sign in to join the conversation