On the 'tube

darrel higham on a double cutaway White Falcon

My daughters favorite song of last nights show in philly. (Adult who has never seen imelda before).

I'm sure he borrowed that one for the show as he just told me he doesn't get along with Filtertrons. Have you seen him fiddling around on his newly acquired Duo Jet?

Great sound-both Imelda May and Darrell. I have the same guitar and it really rocks. I already had a 6120 so when I got the Falcon GAS I determined I wanted something different, and I got it with the double cut thin line 6136. Love the stripped down sound these guys get.

I'm sure he borrowed that one for the show as he just told me he doesn't get along with Filtertrons. Have you seen him fiddling around on his newly acquired Duo Jet?

– sascha

yes i've seen it.

Thanks for posting this, Didier! Yes, the TV got this guitar in after we asked for a Falcon. However, it was a mime for the band and Imelda sang live over the backing track. The usual way for most TV shows these days, sadly. It felt like a nice guitar even if I never got to hear it!

What a shame man. You guys are SO GOOD I don't understand why a TV show would do that (obviously I don't work in the industry)...but maybe that says more about my opinions on TV. P.S. Love your work.

Going for the full Cliff Gallup appointments on the Duo-Jet, I see — Melita bridge and what appears to be a fixed-arm Bigsby. I know you're already accustomed to using the fixed arm, but was it difficult at first? Was the time you actually played Eddie Cochran's guitar your first experience with one?

Hi Seadevil - yes, the first time I played a fixed arm was on Eddie's guitar. After I managed to find one and had it fitted to my own guitar, it did take awhile to get used to. Even now, they have to be perfectly set for me to be comfortable and I usually have to bend the arm back in a vice so it's away from the strings more than they would normally sit. As for the Melita bridge on the Duo Jet; I was wondering if anyone really knew if Cliff Gallup had one on his Jet. I think there may be about 4 or 5 photos of Cliff from his time with The Blue caps that I've seen and none of them clearly show the bridge. However, there is one photo that has intrigued me and I can't find it on the internet big enough to really see the bridge. Maybe Didier can help out here? It's the photo of Cliff playing the guitar in the studio with Gene in front of him. You can see a small bit of the bridge and it doesn't look like a Melita to me...

This is the pic but it needs to be bigger in order to blow it up for a closer look.

This one, Darrel? The pic is quite big (just open it in a new window or tab). Looks like a Bigsby bridge with aluminum base to me.

On this picture it's clearly a bigsby bridge. I hope you can see it.

Is this Johnny Burnette to the right?

Is this Johnny Burnette to the right?

– sascha

yes and paul burlison on the left of cliff gallup, Wee Willie Williams on the front with the cap.

Excellent, thanks Sacha & Didier. That's made up my mind to get rid of that Melita bridge. It's a damn horrible thing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation