Your Tunes

Buckaroo - Buck Owens and the Buckaroos

Here's a tune I've liked for as long as I can remember so thought I'd get around to playing it. I haven't played my Tele much at all for a long time either so this was just the right one to blow the cobwebs off the strings

great job !
one day, I'm gonna have to learn to play that song.

Just of late I've been watching episodes of the Buck Owens show on the tube wherein I'm helpfully reminded at the start of each episode that it is a Mathis Brothers Color Production.

Buckaroo kicks off the production every time. What a superb theme- catchy, accessible, sets the scene perfectly with enough variation to bear repeated listens without fatigue. A very cunning little tune indeed.

That's a spirited version Taffy, sweet treble with just the right amount of gravel on that Telecaster's voice to lend it a modern edge without compromising the snap and vitality of the original. Just fabulous.

Funny thing about those old shows, the band tunes down a half-step. I was enjoying the songs so much I thought I'd play along and, hello there, this stuff is hard in Db, Ab, etc...

Don Rich and Buck Owens had such a beautiful mesh. Don's high harmonies, effortless air, chirpy popping guitar style and sweet fiddle work still set a very high bar.

Lovely stuff Taffy.

The live 1966 version of Buckaroo is also really good.

Very nice . . .

And now I know which Buck Owens tune Bill Kirchen borrowed a riff from, in his Hot Rod Lincoln compendium. Thanks for that info.

Great job Taffy. If my memory is any good at all, you and your T-casters tone is darn near perfect.

I could even see Don's signature grin.

Thanks guys and glad you all, or that should be y'all...liked it

Great job! Makes me want to learn how to play guitar

friend ade's correct...rich tuned down to Eb...

shades of dave edmunds and mickey gee in that performance...nice!

cheers

Great job!!!

If your want to a mess with your mind, play "I feel fine" Beatles and "Buckaroo" Buck Owens.

I know I get confused with the melodies when put side by side.

Either way great riffs.

friend ade's correct...rich tuned down to Eb...

shades of dave edmunds and mickey gee in that performance...nice!

cheers

– neatone

Wow neatone I didn't think anyone outside of Wales knew of the great Micky Gee. One of my main influences and one of the best players no one knows.

That is an absolutely marvelous Tele tone, Taffy. Your fingering, and clearness of notes on that little knuckle breaker is just outstanding. Great job.

Dang! That's great. Very well done! Captures that Tele sound. Thank you.

Excellent playing yet again Paul!! Shows off your versatility.....and your other custom made guitar.

Wow neatone I didn't think anyone outside of Wales knew of the great Micky Gee. One of my main influences and one of the best players no one knows.

– Taffy

I'll never forget watching Shakin' Stevens on Top of the Pops and suddenly noticing how GREAT the guitar player was. The fact that he used to gig with a Sessionette 75 is one of the reasons I still own one (not that I sound like him).

Lovely work on Buckaroo.

Love it Taffy! Big fan of Buck Owens and always loved Don Rich’s playing. Super job!

Brilliant Paul!

Mickey Gee was a great picker,seen him live with Shaky way back when...

When I grew up in Nebraska, the Jimmy Dean show was a pretty regular place to see real guitar players play.

I didn't realize Don Rich did hybrid picking, but there you go.

Lee

When I grew up in Nebraska, the Jimmy Dean show was a pretty regular place to see real guitar players play.

I didn't realize Don Rich did hybrid picking, but there you go.

Lee

– Lee Erickson

Neither did I until I watched this video to help learn the tune. It does lend itself better to using a thumpick and fingers.

I've been playing that one for many years Paul, I even have a couple of Telecasters which don't get played much anymore since I got into Gretsch! Excellent job and I love that gnarly tone!

I found some videos of Mickey Gee and Dave Edmunds playing "Cannonball Rag" and some other tunes a few years ago, Mickey was a heck of a player!

Good stuff Paul, fun tune played to your usual high standard :)

My telecaster hasn't been out of it's case since...er......four years ago - I'd almost forgotten I had one!

Thanks again everyone. Seems a few here have neglected Telecasters they should give some attention to, they need love too

Register Sign in to join the conversation