Your Tunes

Another one - Barely Alive

Sounds good. The bass is a little quiet. So has the Tenny been replaced as your #1 or are you just giving it a break? I like the Convertible.

Took down this video as it's only been up an hour , was only linked here and it already has a dislike. This happened with the last one too. I really appreciate all the positive and supportive comments made but I don't need any needless sniping. I have a bunch of videos and none of them had active dislikes before.

That's disgusting. I can only hope that whoever gave your excellent video a dislike accidently hit the wrong button. Judging from the reaction to Never You Mind, I would assume the fans of that video would like to see more of the Colorifics.

It's really easy to hit the dislike button if you are a lefty on a phone. I wouldn't take it to heart

Like said before, could have been fat thumb syndrome. Please post it up again.

Thanks. I am nothing if not a bit reactive. Ultimately someone making the effort to dislike you is just as good as liking. Any reaction is good, Apathy is the worst.

So apologies. I've since remixed this one but haven't added the new audio to the video. As my drummer is doing that I will wait a few other songs before I ask him to redo this

This is one of our straight up pop songs. I think of my band as a pop band that draws from as much of the history of pop music as possible. Meaning the last 100 years and worldwide if possible. The variety keeps it challenging and interesting for me as a writer and player.

Sounds good. The bass is a little quiet. So has the Tenny been replaced as your #1 or are you just giving it a break? I like the Convertible.

– Baba Joe

I guess the Tennessean is getting a break as I play my other guitars. The convertible is my main guitar lately. It plays nice, sounds great, and is big and beautiful.

The deeper body gives a nice woody 'fatness' to the sound while also having a nice sparkly, clear tone. Great playing doesn't hurt either.

This is great, keep posting!

Definitely a keeper! Nice, catchy tune. Worth a second listen for sure!

Congrats!

"Barely Alive" is confirmation that great music is being made and is wonderfully alive! I love how her voice really opened up thru the song. The chorus is wonderful and played live really alive but clean as if it were studio quality.

The cherry on top for me though is the guitar solo. It feeds the song. It serves the song but as a haunting beauty is tops in my book. Note to Chris Isaak: If you need a new lead guitarist, look no further than here!

Well done!!!

Great stuff!

"Barely Alive" is confirmation that great music is being made and is wonderfully alive! I love how her voice really opened up thru the song. The chorus is wonderful and played live really alive but clean as if it were studio quality.

The cherry on top for me though is the guitar solo. It feeds the song. It serves the song but as a haunting beauty is tops in my book. Note to Chris Isaak: If you need a new lead guitarist, look no further than here!

Well done!!!

– NJDevil

Thanks a lot! I will admit to the deep dark secret of having overdubbed the solo after the fact because I made a little mistake at the end of the original. It was a bum note and couldn't be passed off, nor replaced so I just redid with the guitar which happened to be close at hand on a stand (My 52 Electro 2). You can hear it's an overdub as it's nigh well impossible to get rid of the original as it's on the drum mikes, vocal mikes etc. It's the same solo ( My solos are set parts of the song rather than me improvising ) it's just played properly and a little fuller sounding. The DeArmonds on the Electro are fatter sounding than the hilotrons on the Convertible. I really should've used the same guitar and exact setup for continuity but I was lazy and used what was at hand. I'm very pleased that you like it. That's very much my style of guitar solo. I like them to have their own melodic thing happening rather than being a showcase for my guitar tricks. (which are really rather limited anyway.) I don't like to overdub on live recordings so everything else is pretty well straight up unless otherwise noted.

Late to the party again, but better late than never. This is my favorite among the posted videos from this show. Nice changes, great harmonies, and cool guitar solo. Kudos, BB. The song actually sounded kind of familiar, but I can't seem to find a previous performance (or link to an mp3).

The bass player looked familiar to me, and it puzzled me for awhile. Then I somehow put the puzzle pieces together and realized that I'd seen him as part of another band from Canada. Seen him on videos, that is, as I never saw The Blue Shadows in person. He had a lot more hair 20 years ago (I did too), but he still plays great!

https://www.youtube.com/use...

Yeah I saw the Blue Shadows a few times indeed. Great band! Billy and Jeffrey harmonized very well together. This is cool but there's a lot of better Blue Shadows videos out there too. Check them out. Billy Cowsill produced a few singles and the CD of the Rockabilly band I was in at the time "The Rattled Roosters' . I spent a lot of time with him as a result before and after that . Hilarious guy, we shared a dark sense of humour and generally silly attitude. I never really hung out with Elmar much till now. He's a cool guy too and a past master on bass.

I have to admit that I only "discovered" The Blue Shadows about six years ago, but I think I've seen most of the available videos (on youtube, at least). I know the batch I posted the link to is not the greatest for image quality, but I liked the collection of songs they performed that day, and it's kind of a kick to watch the people go past on the sidewalk and hear the birds singing, etc. I guess that was shot in Calgary.

There's a pro video of the band playing on a Canadian tv show, but there's something wrong with the sound:

Did you ever hang out with Hatcher? To me, he was the glue in that group. I really admire his guitar playing (as I do yours). I've been wondering about that custom red guitar he used.

I think "Lucky To Me" was a really really good album.

I didn't really get to know Jeff. He had a great laid back melodic style of playing, never wanked, just played what the song needed. An admirable quality in my opinion. Great songwriter and singer too. I talked about guitars with him a little. His wife made that custom archtop for him. She's a luthier. Here's a good one, Classic Billy Cowsill vocals. Nice guitar work on the 12-string too. He sang like a bird live. Really something else.

He had a great laid back melodic style of playing, never wanked, just played what the song needed. An admirable quality in my opinion.

Absolutely. I also admired his ability to go from playing rhythm to soloing and back to rhythm, making it all sound seamless and interesting.

Coincidentally, I had just revisited a video of Hatcher's original 1987 recording of 'Deliver Me' before I came back here and saw the video you posted (I have seen it, btw). The Cowsills performed the song as part of their last (?) show with Bill and Barry in 2000.

Had no idea about Hatcher's wife being a luthier. Talented family! That red guitar sounded really good to these ears.

Love your stuff. Live videos should be just that. So what if you flubbed a bit. That's what makes a live video more live, if you catch my drift.

Love your stuff. Live videos should be just that. So what if you flubbed a bit. That's what makes a live video more live, if you catch my drift.

– Suprdave

I totally understand what you are saying, however if it's a choice between putting it out there with a little fix or not putting it out there, I'll opt for the former. This is some of our first decent live video so it'll be used in a promotional way too.

I enjoyed listening - I gave it like! Good singing and guitar playing - what's not to like!

This song has been in my head for days (that's a good thing- plus it helps keep all kinds of crap out of there!).

Hey Bernard, I'm still loving this, and have been working on the changes. I also felt an urge to try to write out the lyric today, as I'm thinking about showing this tune to my son. Neither of us play professionally (nor semi-professionally), but we sometimes play music when he visits from Seattle. I think I have 99% of the words to this (thanks to the fact that your voices are so nice and clear), but there's one line that I'm still unsure about. "Oh, how the stories they grow and rhyme" is what I'm hearing, but I've heard wrong so many times over the years, it's hard to be confident sometimes. I mean, there's a line from an early Beatles tune that I only just recently realized I'd had wrong since 1964!

I know you sometimes used to include some background/personal history on your songs that you've uploaded to youtube in the past. Anything on this one? No pressure, just curious.

Speaking of excellent songs you've written, any chance that you guys did "Love Again" at this performance? Any more content being edited for uploading? Thanks for your time, and for being such a creative and inspiring musician.

My pleasure and thanks for being so appreciative. It really helps, I often teeter on the edge of just giving up on music entirely so any positive feedback helps. I think it's great you're learning this song!

Anyway. "oh how the stories they grow in rhyme you reap what you sow in time, you reap what you sow When you're barely alive Oh and the shadows beneath your eyes They take on another guise, they show what you know When you're barely alive."

To show the chords I'd have to use tab, I'm self taught so while I know a bunch of chords I'm not always sure what they're called. I could make a PDF and PM it to you, the same with the lyrics if you want.

This is a recent song. Most of my recent songs, especially ones where I start with a guitar idea first, I record and then start making up lyrics and melody, usually off the top of my head and the idea develops as it goes along with the already written lyrics suggesting direction for further lyrics and then boom, a title, and then ooooo I need a chorus, something to jump out of the song..etc etc. It's kind of neat to do it that way. The song develops naturally. Sometimes It's clear exactly what the song is about and sometimes it remains just a feeling which the lyrics help to convey. To me music is fundamentally emotion.

This song is mostly about contemplation, looking back, perspective and consequences. It's hard to pin it down more than that.

The one line about the shadows beneath your eyes is from a rehearsal I had with Sarah the singer. I noticed these little dark shadows under her eyes that were frankly kind of cute. She's a lovely lady, aware of it and I think also wary of signs of the passage of time(as we all sometimes are), but to me those little 'flaws' were an asset that spoke of her experience and character rather than something that detracted in any way from her appearance, it actually made her more attractive....I tried to explain this to her once...oops!

Let me know if you want more lyrics etc.

We didn't play Love Again at this show. As my drummer set up all the filming and recording stuff so I let him choose the set lists with a couple of changes. I think there's 10 videos up from this show and probably another 7 or 8 to go . Which he'll do in the next couple of months.

A few songs had their beginnings cut off by the audio guy..ooopsy! Hard to use those except in a promo medley video sort of thing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation