Your Tunes

19th Century Surf” with Erik Satie

My band the Vibrojets has been recording. Here's a link to a tune I did a quickie mastering job on just to get it out there: Gymnopédies 1

Please note, the vibes are real! The vibes player's name is Tommy Mattioli. We are co-leaders of a four-piece band.

That, my friend is a real delight.

Wonderful playing throughout (super discipline in the 16th note hi-hats/vibraphone tremolo strikes starting at 0.46), a deliciously chirpy reworking of a sombre piece that still has a big heart, intact.

Your Lounge concept has extra-plump cushions, ultra-stylish louche guests and super-chilled Cinzano. What a party.

Hahaha - genius arrangement!

Liked it a lot. A lot of non-classical music fans learned about Eric Satie from the Blood Sweat and Tears second album.

The guitar track, evasive and Fender Rhodes-ish as it is, was played on a Duo-Jet, just so you know. We did fifteen tracks, and I used the Jet, a 1960 Annie, a Tele, and a 1959 Jazzmaster.

Very clever use of the guitar, seadevil. It isn't what I would consider surf, either in construction or tone, but I very much enjoyed that nonetheless.

Yeah, it's not really surf at all. Genre music can get tiresome, and this is an effort to transcend that. The vibes offer a lot of opportunites to mix and match styles, or disregard them completely.

We learned it "straight" - slow and semi-acoustic - for a wedding. This version started as a goof, but it clicked right away.

Great! I like that a lot :)

Delightful. I'd buy a whole record of cuts in this style.

I will buy that album when it’s available. Really up my alley. Nice job!

I hope this will be issued on vinyl. It's way cool!

We're looking at a 7" (EP or single), 12" Lp, CD, and streaming... all formats. Some songs are WAY rockier, some jazzier, some more Latin. There's even one that ventures into dub territory with the help of an 82-year-old Jamaican percussionist who's played with everyone form Toots & The Maytals on down.

Some tracks are live in the studio, some really produced. It all sounds the way it should.

We're looking at a 7" (EP or single), 12" Lp, CD, and streaming/digital DL... all formats. Some songs are WAY rockier, some jazzier, some more Latin. There's even one that ventures into dub territory with the help of an 82-year-old Jamaican percussionist who's played with everyone from Toots & The Maytals on down.

Some tracks are live in the studio, some really produced. It all sounds the way it should.

I doubt we'll sell a ton of physical albums/singles, but many cuts have great licensing potential, and we are happy to "sell out" as long as we're not being associated with something embarrassing.

I love it. That piece was used in the soundtrack for "My Diner with Andre" back in the '80's.

What did you use as an interface to convert the guitar signal into a vibe sound? Some sort of standard midi device? Were you using a particular software bank of midi tones?

They're real vibes! The vibes player and I alternate lead duties. They were recorded acoustically, pedal squeaks and all. I hope no one else thought it was an altered guitar track!

Register Sign in to join the conversation