The Woodshed

Who plays Misty in Cmaj7?

I have the sheet music for Misty in Cmaj7 but I'm having a hard time finding a recording of it in that key on Spotify or Youtube.

Do you know of a performer/band who plays this song in that key?

I want to play along as I learn it of course

Just transpose it into a key where you find a recording for it.

Is it possible, that you have a Version for Eb-Instruments???

I think I always played it in Eb-Maj, so if you have a sheet for Eb-Instruments instead of the Version for C-Instruments that would make sense.

Don't know if there is a Version in C

Paul

If you know the number system, I can give you the changes and then you can play them in any key. Different kettle of fish if it’s the melody that you need.

I perceive that you are wanting a recording in C to play along with to learn the song. As distinguished Counsel mentioned above, it should be a fairly easy task to transpose a piece of recorded music to the key you want. My recording software will do such, and surely there would be a free version on the internet somewhere if you don't have anything readily accessible. If you don't have anything, then just send whatever recording you want to me in an mp3 file, and I'll transpose it for you.

Maybe we are misunderstanding the question. If so, enlighten us further. There are numerous resources available here.

Thanks guys. I can transpose to a different key, but I really like it in C.

I might try it in G but I like the voicing in C (is that what we call it, "voicing"). I can easily use three different C chords and I like switching up the primary chord when I can, obviously I can do that using other chords but using a C is the simplest.

But if I can't find a recording in C then I'll transpose, I know how to do that.

And yes I want to play along while i listen so yeah.

This is a bit of a guess here but I wouldn't be surprised if the Richard "Groove' Holmes version is in C. (I would check but I don't have any in-tune instruments near me at the moment)

EDIT: Actually i think it's in B flat, (i just tuned my guitar and checked) .....oh well back to the search.

It's still my favourite version of Misty.

I think Erroll's playing it in "C" in this performance....

“I think Errol’s playing it in C”

Really? How can you tell? Jeez, I’ve never heard so many notes in such a short time. Is he on piece work?

Really? How can you tell? Jeez, I’ve never heard so many notes in such a short time. Is he on piece work?

Well, yes it is a touch florid...makes Liberace sound like Philip Glass by comparison! Still I guess if you write something you can do what you like with it. I quite like it, in a ‘waves of notes form a harp’ kind of way.

– Deke Martin

That's the pianist's version of shredding.

Roy Buchanan had this killer version ... sounds like it's in Eb but possibily is D with the tape running fast. Could not get a good enough look at the fingerboard shots to see where he was on the tonic.

Lots of players are lost in the flat keys - gotta be open string sharp keys, E and A, etc for them.

The Erroll Garner video is in the key of C.

There is no key of Cmaj7, it's just a chord that can be played in the key of C without any of the notes going outside the C scale.

You should be able to play along with the video without changing any of the chords. Of course you can any Cmaj7 to a C or C6 but not to a C7. Any G9 can be changed to a G7 or G. Any min7 can be changed to a min.

My real/fake book collection tells me 3/0 that this tune is is in Eb with the starting chord Ebmaj7.There's some history here. Horns like the key of Eb. Just easier for them. Johnnie Mathis had the hit on this, in the key of Eb with a maj7 as the starting chord.

It's not so hard. I've played the tune enough to know that the chord on "me" is the key. Tune the guitar, play the video. If it matches, you got it!

The Groove Holmes version is Eb.

have fun, Lee

The Groove Holmes version is Eb.

..ha! Eb was my first thought, ( ) but the Bb seemed more prominent, as you say, it makes sense from a band with horns point of view plus Eb kind of makes sense for fingering on an organ/piano keyboard.

I never tire of that Groove Holmes version... sublime!

– Deke Martin

Actually, if you watch his right hand when he finally gets to the opening bar (34 sec in, the "look at me.." line), you can see the notes he's playing quite clearly- G-E-B, with "me" on B. So the chord is a Cmaj7

Yep Garner plays it in C (Which explains why I have more trouble than I need when I try it in Eb out of my Fakebook)

Footnote- I think I still have a PVG chart around here somewhere in C. I can chase it down and make a pdf out of it if anyone wants it.

My “how can you tell” question was somewhat rhetorical, it was only there as an introduction to my too-many-notes jibe.

No harm meant

Hi Mr_Chrisopher,

Here's a quickie I did last night for you of "Misty in C", :)

I just transposed and came up with a few meanderings - Lol!

Hope you enjoy this ,, : )

Here's another on my new Gretsch 5022 Rancher - 9 - 25 - 2018 :)

Here is live version of Misty in C performed by a great singer Mariam whom I have had pleasure to accompany.

My “how can you tell” question was somewhat rhetorical, it was only there as an introduction to my too-many-notes jibe.

No harm meant

– Deke Martin

We're cool.

I wrote my bit before reading the other one(s) that followed yours about the key...

Late to the party again, I was.

That's not funny Billy.

I've run into people that think Ray Stevens wrote the song.

Lee

Register Sign in to join the conversation