The Woodshed

What feedsback better, a wider guitar or a thicker guitar?

Best feedback: '59 6122T
Secnd best: Mid-50's Jet.

Having the right amp is crucial though, and you must have a Bigsby or some kind of wanger to control the feedback.

– Billy Zoom

The Country Gent seems to keep coming up, hmmm

Right amp, is it more about headroom or being on edge of breakup?

My '63 conversion that came with mid 70's Blacktop Filters produced really great and smooth feedback which I used as an atmospheric background on this tune, Glory.

I put it through a Tophat with a fairly dirty signal, but no pedals, and the volume up to where I could control the feedback with proximity.

– crowbone

Good stuff. Congrats

Seems like the topic of spruce tops keeps coming up too

the best feedback guitar i ever played was my 1968 ES-335. for about its first decade it was actually pretty dead, but bloomed into an absolute monster with ~20% higher output than the Strat i played concurrently. was it the body, the pickups, or what? i have no idea.

I am having so much fun with my LPB Falcon. It doesn’t have a treble-bleed circuit, but the master volume works beautifully, without eating tone, so that I can dial in just the right amount of feedback anytime I want, and it’s a very smooth, musical and usable feedback at that! Trestle bracing, big body, un-potted Ray Butts pups.

The best guitar I own for generating usable controlled feedback is my 6118T-LTV125... Hands down.

It's neither ultra wide nor ultra deep. But something about the build, most likely related to the ML bracing, makes this guitar an absolute joy to play LOUD. I can pretty much induce body swells at will, and easily keep it under control when required. Whenever my band covers a WHO tune at a gig (and we do cover a handful), it's always my first choice for thundering power chords that ring and ring and gently swell to a rumbling howl.

– Tartan Phantom

I agree with this. I have the same guitar. I use it as my main guitar and it is wonderful at being able to create “musical” feedback.

I’ve noticed while playing the guitar my amp choice makes a difference. My 30 watt head into my open back 2x12 cabinet, produces feedback with great ease.

My closed back Vox ac10 requires a little more effort to conjure up the magical feedback.
Not sure if it’s the open vs closed back? Or perhaps a little more volume? Although I swear my 10 watt Vox is louder. Maybe it’s just more focused. Regardless, the guitar is amazing at producing “good” feedback. Usually all it takes is a good amount of gain and a little wiggle of the Bigsby.

And a note: I replaced the stock Powertron pups with TV Classics.

the best feedback guitar i ever played was my 1968 ES-335. for about its first decade it was actually pretty dead, but bloomed into an absolute monster with ~20% higher output than the Strat i played concurrently. was it the body, the pickups, or what? i have no idea.

– macphisto

That's odd I'd think the center block would kill it

I am having so much fun with my LPB Falcon. It doesn’t have a treble-bleed circuit, but the master volume works beautifully, without eating tone, so that I can dial in just the right amount of feedback anytime I want, and it’s a very smooth, musical and usable feedback at that! Trestle bracing, big body, un-potted Ray Butts pups.

– Steve

Oh man that's a purty guitar!!!!!

The unpotted pickup doesn't take it into hi squeal territory?

I agree with this. I have the same guitar. I use it as my main guitar and it is wonderful at being able to create “musical” feedback.

I’ve noticed while playing the guitar my amp choice makes a difference. My 30 watt head into my open back 2x12 cabinet, produces feedback with great ease.

My closed back Vox ac10 requires a little more effort to conjure up the magical feedback.
Not sure if it’s the open vs closed back? Or perhaps a little more volume? Although I swear my 10 watt Vox is louder. Maybe it’s just more focused. Regardless, the guitar is amazing at producing “good” feedback. Usually all it takes is a good amount of gain and a little wiggle of the Bigsby.

And a note: I replaced the stock Powertron pups with TV Classics.

– Hipbone

How close do you have to get to it, to have "feedback on tap"?

Sometimes I think the extra speaker helps

Cos same head through a 112 vs 412 I get more feedback

Or It could be that the top 2 speakers are closer to the guitar's "eye level" maybe making it's easier to create that loop

How close do you have to get to it, to have "feedback on tap"?

Sometimes I think the extra speaker helps

Cos same head through a 112 vs 412 I get more feedback

Or It could be that the top 2 speakers are closer to the guitar's "eye level" maybe making it's easier to create that loop

– Doc Helliday

I have to get within a few feet with my 2x12 cab, and very close with my Vox ac10 I don’t play insanely loud, but loud enough to get some energy going.

i find feedback much easier with the speaker(s), ideally 12s, up around the level of my navel so i can aim the guitar and particularly the pickups at the speakers. this helps by creating more resonance in the guitar at volume for drones and low notes, and also gives you the whole palette of microphonic squeal and electromagnetic weirdness on top.

The best guitar that I had for controlled feedback was a 2003 6119FT, made just before they lightened the build. Doesn't make sense, but the later ones didn't do it even though they are not as dense.

I'm kidding, of course.

– Tartan Phantom

There is a beautiful '57 ES-225 at a local shop that has this stuff in the entire upper and cutaway bouts. I'm not kidding.

The best guitar that I had for controlled feedback was a 2003 6119FT, made just before they lightened the build. Doesn't make sense, but the later ones didn't do it even though they are not as dense.

– Journeyman

That is odd

It's more dense, but somehow more responsive

I own quite few guitars, but none feedback as controllably, or as musically, as my Double Annie Player's Edition with ML bracing, That guitar just lives to sing!

I own quite few guitars, but none feedback as controllably, or as musically, as my Double Annie Player's Edition with ML bracing, That guitar just lives to sing!

– Daniel Weldon

Looks like another vote for guitars with ML bracing...

– Daniel Weldon

Hmmmmm that ML bracing seems to keep coming up as a magical catalyst for reasonable feedback

I'm receiving 2 guitars in the mail One is 16"W x 3½" Th Vs. 17"W x 3¼" Th

Gonna see which one is more feedback friendly

Register Sign in to join the conversation