The Woodshed

Travis picking, is there any hope?

Figured I'd update the thread that inspired me to start learning thumb picking....

I've been sticking with it and practicing everyday. It's coming along! I'm still work on Mr. Sandman. For me it's a great study, it has complex thumb picking patterns, chords that are new to me, playing the chord melody verse with a thumb pick is new to me and the 3 finger picking section is also a new technique to me. I've always used one finger for top melodies. I can play it all the way through now... not very well, there are some rough areas still, but it's getting better.

I started and learned an easier one too, Trombone, the Duane Eddy version. I like his version a lot and it isn't hard at all and it sounds great. Also Country Gentlemen, I like that song so i figured I'd give it a try... not bad, I've got a few parts down and need to work a lot on it. But it's a fun one to play. Next I'm going to try to make my own thumb picking arrangement for a simple Beatles tune.

Figured I'd update the thread that inspired me to start learning thumb picking....

I've been sticking with it and practicing everyday. It's coming along! I'm still work on Mr. Sandman. For me it's a great study, it has complex thumb picking patterns, chords that are new to me, playing the chord melody verse with a thumb pick is new to me and the 3 finger picking section is also a new technique to me. I've always used one finger for top melodies. I can play it all the way through now... not very well, there are some rough areas still, but it's getting better.

I started and learned an easier one too, Trombone, the Duane Eddy version. I like his version a lot and it isn't hard at all and it sounds great. Also Country Gentlemen, I like that song so i figured I'd give it a try... not bad, I've got a few parts down and need to work a lot on it. But it's a fun one to play. Next I'm going to try to make my own thumb picking arrangement for a simple Beatles tune.

– Chris-O-Matic

Glad to hear you're makin' progress. Once you start to get the hang of it it becomes kind of addicting, doesn't it?

– Chris-O-Matic

That would be "Trambone"...

yes it would be farmerbrown... i noticed that last night after i wrote it.

@windsordave, it really is addictive. i really like the overall tone it produces. After i posted last night i thought I'd try Warm and Windy, and it's stating to come to me. I was able to play the main verse part after a few minutes of figuring out when to use the thumb vs fingers. I've got a lot to work on and i need to focus on what I've started, but it's a lot of fun trying out different tunes :)

Sounds like you're making real progress. Get pieces like Windy & Warm, Trambone, or Baby's Coming Home down, and I think the rest may fall into place. Hats off to you for tackling Mr. Sandman. That's quite an undertaking.

Sounds like you're making real progress. Get pieces like Windy & Warm, Trambone, or Baby's Coming Home down, and I think the rest may fall into place. Hats off to you for tackling Mr. Sandman. That's quite an undertaking.

– Jim Krause

thanks for the encouragement!

I'm playacting Trambone, Windy & Warm along with Mr. Sandman. still going well. I'm going to have to check out Baby's Coming Home. Another one i like and will start this weekend is Maybelle

There's a lot of versions of Baby's Comin' Home out there and for my money, the best one on YouTube is Richard Hudson's. He plays it at a very comfortable toe-tapping beat and is the only one to add a different verse.

Bunny Barnes plays a great version and has an interesting flavour to her playing. She adds two nice chords early on as well.

For all Chet's performances and recordings, he nails the right tempo needed but he missed with this tune of Jerry's.....he plays it too fast. It works better at Richard's speed or Bunny's.

PM me....I've got a good tip for you.

Register Sign in to join the conversation