The Woodshed

That Great Gretsch Sound

My dad playing Chet Atkins in the kitchen into the wee hours of the night on his country gentleman the whole time I was growing up. I hated it then but now...I'm a player too looking to buy my first Gretsch after my rat fink brother stole dads guitar and sold it.

I wish I could link that video that Fred and Joe showed us at the Nashville Roundup with the Fred and Joe show. It really piqued on the quirkiness of Gretsch and why we all love them. And because no one has really mentioned Hilo-Trons Then I will.

– Suprdave

I mentioned hilotrons.My favourites!

Those Great GrrrrrrrrrrrreTscH Sounds!

This made me curious. I did a comparison between my gibson, fender and gretsch and to me there is a unique sound in-between pickups. someone else mentioned the strat sound from wicked game and the gretsch seems to verge on that in the middle position. it's quiet a tone

I thought I've almost got that great Gretsch sound with my (now sold) 5420 FSR, TV classics, thru an 5E3. I was wrong, nevertheless a good guitar.

Now I'm playin my 6120 Hot Rod, Setzer Sigs, thru my SWART STR Tremolo and THIS IS IT. Really. I'm blown away. But I also get a beautiful "Gretsch twang" with my Guild Manhattan and her marvellous Franz pkups... And Wicked Game sounds also pretty authentic with the Guild. Seriously- I guess it's 50% fingers and 50% gear that generates "that great Gretsch sound" (or any other sound)!

For me, it is my RHH in the middle position, with a t-armond in the neck, and a classic in the bridge. Then I run through an atomic brain and carbon copy delay into my Traynor Custom Reverb.

For me it's my box-stock 1970 Country Gentleman, mud switch in the middle, both pups at 9/10 through my JC77 with the highs and lows just slightly higher than the mids, plus a whole whack of built-in reverb and just a skosh of chorus, enough to be detectable to the ear and no more.

That's it. Not quite Cochran (a little fatter), not quite Duane (a little thinner), but the tone is unmistakable. I call it my "goldilocks" setting.

My experience: I had one of those crazy comparison nights last night . I tried the night before with dynas and then filters. gibson has p-90s.

I think the gretsch is slightly fenderish in its twang n phase but of course with that hollow body woodiness.

The gibson is thicker and pluckier and the harmonic overtones of the p-90s seem to make it easier to get away with bum notes.

The Gibson seems less fussy about what it is played into. the gretsch is fussy. But when played through the Nocturne Brain into the right amp it really sounds magic

To my ears, it is Gretsch Filter'Trons (or variations of same by TV Jones) with pickup selector in the middle position or neck position. Bridge (only) pickups don't cut it for me -- even in my youth, I never used bridge pickups only.

I like the sounds I get with my '59 Gent through my Standel 25L15. I got that idea from someone else however..................

Filters win it for me. My favorite sound is the Supertron neck / Classic Plus bridge combo of the 6122-1959. I play it through a 1966 Gemini 2 or a Fender Champion 100 set to Twin Reverb. Occasionally through a Vox Pathfinder. Not only the tone of this combination, but also the volume is impressive.

Also, a little while ago I was taking lessons. The instructor provided a small solid state Marshall practice amp. I don't recall the model, but no matter which Gretsch I brought, they all sounded good, especially in clean mode.

To my ears, it is Gretsch Filter'Trons (or variations of same by TV Jones) with pickup selector in the middle position or neck position. Bridge (only) pickups don't cut it for me -- even in my youth, I never used bridge pickups only.

I like the sounds I get with my '59 Gent through my Standel 25L15. I got that idea from someone else however..................

– senojnad

Ya' know Dan.......it's a real shame you have to suffer using that inferior equipment. I suspect you're gassing for a vintage Silvertone or Harmony department store archtop with an added pup and play through a little 5 watt SS amp.

Ya' know Dan.......it's a real shame you have to suffer using that inferior equipment. I suspect you're gassing for a vintage Silvertone or Harmony department store archtop with an added pup and play through a little 5 watt SS amp.

– Windsordave

Register Sign in to join the conversation