The Woodshed

Kings of the Bigsby ?

Since getting my 59, Chet reissue I have realized that the Bigsby isnt just a giggle bar. Besides Mr Eddy who do you folks think uses it best ? I need to get it sounding better particularly on slow pieces.

He is a strat player, but a lot of what he does is do-able with a Bigsby : Hank Marvin of the shadows does some very cool, creative and unique things with a whammy bar.

And Chet Atkins himself used the Bigsby a fair bit, and always in pretty great taste too.

He is a strat player

I thought he meant Duane?

Is it too obvious to say Brian Setzer?

– BuddyHollywood

As much as I like Brian's playing he wouldn't be on my list. I'm not a big Chet guy but for me he used the Bigsby greatly. Actual pitch shifting instead of wobbling.

In the latter category Bernard Butler is the master. On Gibsons, though.

Billy Zoom.

Besides Duane, I don't think anyone uses it better.

Thing is, Billy(most of the time) has a pretty light touch with it, so it's not jumping out at you in a typical, gimmicky fashion.

His subtle approach to a little wiggle at the end of a verse makes his playing sublime.

Great control.

neil young is pretty great with his bigsby on that black gold top

I was never a Shadows fan but i agree Hank was great.Will check B Butler and Neil Young.

While Hank Marvin is mostly known as a Strat player, he also played a single cutaway Country Gentleman, so he does count as a Bigsby master. And Bruce Welch played a single cutaway 6120. I may have a picture somewhere...

He is a strat player

I thought he meant Duane?

– Charlie Vegas

I was talking about Hank Marvin and how despite him being a strat player, he might be good inspiration for someone wanting to get creative with a Bigsby.

Chet was the master of the Bigsby hands down, for one reason in particular. He often used it to simulate a vocalist adding just a touch of vibrato at the end of a passage on a held note, and he did that to perfection. A hallmark of his playing was that the melody floated clearly above the accompaniment of chords, runs and bass parts and the Bigsby effect just added to his ability to give the melody that bit of vocalist flavor.

If anyone ever deserved the title of "King of the Bigsby," it is the late John Cipollina. John developed his entire playing style around use of the Bigsby, because his fingers weren't strong enough to do the B.B. King style finger vibrato. His sound, tone and style are immediately identifiable.

Since getting my 59, Chet reissue I have realized that the Bigsby isnt just a giggle bar. Besides Mr Eddy who do you folks think uses it best ? I need to get it sounding better particularly on slow pieces.

– kidgretsch

Without reading the rest of the thread, the answer to you question is undeniably Chet Atkins.

He,s punishing that!. Amazing the guitar takes it. (Lonnie Mack)

As much as I like Brian's playing he wouldn't be on my list. I'm not a big Chet guy but for me he used the Bigsby greatly. Actual pitch shifting instead of wobbling.

In the latter category Bernard Butler is the master. On Gibsons, though.

– sascha

A self confess Neil young fan . He has admited to learn his trade from Neil himself

Talking about Strat-players: Jeff Beck.

Nobody new to add but will strongly second Duane Eddy, Hank Marvin and Chet Atkins.

3 of the best ever, hands down.

Johnny A. Is pretty good, not for doing anything new but just know when to use it. It's all over his first 2 solo albums.

Until I joined the Gretschpages I hadnt heard of Johnny A. Very classy player. I,m still making trampoline noises , and my time goes everytime I give it a press!

Register Sign in to join the conversation