The Woodshed

Great Jump Blues Lesson

I came across this jump blues lesson from Charlie Baty of Little Charlie and the Nightcats. It has some great jazzy licks that you use for blues, rockabilly, or swing.

Learn some new licks over the holiday...

I found some nice stuff on part 2, but you could be conventional and start with part 1.

I've known Charlie for several tears from Django in June. He is one hell of a player and a man worth listening to and taking advice from. Can't wait to check this out after Christmas.

I was in a band with him in 1968 and he was playing mostly harmonica back then ,,

We've been good friends ever since :)

Great Magnet, nice to wake up to on Christmas Eve day, lots of stuff in there .....Merry Christmas

How would you define jump blues. That’s a new term for me

Lol, no one can, because it overlaps with so many other styles - but generally it refers to the style of uptempo electric guitar/horn blues popular from the late 30's through mid 50's. TBone Walker for short.

Lol, no one can, because it overlaps with so many other styles - but generally it refers to the style of uptempo electric guitar/horn blues popular from the late 30's through mid 50's. TBone Walker for short.

– spike

Nice Spike, that is my take on it also. I follow the group on Facebook "Jump-Blues guitar killers" on Facebook.

Nice post Magnet as the more information on this I see the better as I am trying to break out of my comfort zone and be proficient in this style. The beginning pf part 1 is so simple but really good advice.

I need to download a lot of albums from different players from iTunes and play along. It will create "a flow" that will really help.

How would you define jump blues. That’s a new term for me

– Mark G

T-Bone, of course...Tiny Grimes. Modern guys: Alex Shultz, Junior Watson, Hollywood Fats

Thanks for posting. Check out any and all albums of "Little Charlie and the Nightcats."

I follow the group on Facebook "Jump-Blues guitar killers" on Facebook.

I post there a good bit myself. Highly recommended to all

Register Sign in to join the conversation