The Woodshed

Do your kids have the bug?

So at the beginning of Covid, last march during quarantine, my 14 yr old decided to teach herself guitar. I didn't even know she was interested until one night I woke up and found her in the music room.

At that point she had already been playing almost two months. ONLY TWO MONTHS! She's already better than me and I've been playing 30 yrs.

Lucky you. That’s awsome! It’s much cooler when they find it on their own.

Many years back when my boys were coming of age, I bought a Les Paul, Strat, Fender and Marshall amps, a bass and Bassman, hoping they would find what turned them on guitar wise. Trying not to lead the horse.... They all migrated to my Ludwigs and now I have two drummers. Go figure.

That's awesome, Shane! She's a natural! I gave my daughter guitar lessons for a while, and it was a disaster. She kept wanting to play songs that were way above her abilities, and didn't want to start with the basics. This led to frustration and attitude difficulties. She just didn't want to listen to "dear old dad, so I ended up getting her a guitar teacher, that she wasn't emotionally tied to, and she excelled. It's obviously not like that for everyone, but it was for us.

I am wondering if guitar holds less attraction for Our Nation's Youth now than it did 40-50 years ago.

Teachers work well for some people. I was self taught. Still have my first gutiar.. .Japanese acoustic (Tempo)

H-E-L-E-N-A. I immediately spotted the M.C.R. shirt in the tumbnail but never thought I'd hear that song. Cool thing, that is! And definitely one of the better bands or acts a kid can follow these days.

Actually, their 'The Black Parade' album is one of my favourite modern rock records. It has got really clever songs, walls of guitars, big pathos, kitsch and a hilariously pompous production. From theatrics to in-your-face punk-rock it's all in there. Oh, and there is Liza Minnelli doing the backing vocals on "Mama". Well worth a listen, I'm serious.

H-E-L-E-N-A. I immediately spotted the M.C.R. shirt in the tumbnail but never thought I'd hear that song. Cool thing, that is! And definitely one of the better bands or acts a kid can follow these days.

Actually, their 'The Black Parade' album is one of my favourite modern rock records. It has got really clever songs, walls of guitars, big pathos, kitsch and a hilariously pompous production. From theatrics to in-your-face punk-rock it's all in there. Oh, and there is Liza Minnelli doing the backing vocals on "Mama". Well worth a listen, I'm serious.

– sascha

Yeah, I learned some of their songs in an attempt to show her the finer points of the songs...but she wanted to learn on her own and even got pissed I was trying to show her....teenagers. I had only heard their name in passing but it turns out they're actually pretty good. There's a lot of their songs in my rotation. I had no idea how big they were in the early 2000s. She bought two tickets to their reunion show (that is pushed back due to covid) and they were $300 for the highest nosebleeds.

That's awesome, Shane! She's a natural! I gave my daughter guitar lessons for a while, and it was a disaster. She kept wanting to play songs that were way above her abilities, and didn't want to start with the basics. This led to frustration and attitude difficulties. She just didn't want to listen to "dear old dad, so I ended up getting her a guitar teacher, that she wasn't emotionally tied to, and she excelled. It's obviously not like that for everyone, but it was for us.

– Wade H

She's always trying to play above her ability too. She doesn't know any cowboy chords or anything...and she's doing intermediate stuff. I had not shown her a single thing at that point. She still would rather learn on her own than have me help her...which is good because sometimes I listen to the song she's trying to learn and think "f me"....

i guess that's one solution to the problem of finding folks to play with: breed them.

Great share - and very relatable. I've only been on the G-Pages about 2 months, and the main reason is based on much the same story. About mid-Summer last year with all of us home, I began hearing my 17yr. old Senior playing the guitar we purchased for him in 7th grade which hadn't been touched since his trying out playing in Jr. High music and band classes. His playing over a couple of weeks became progressively better quickly, and then all of a sudden I got the 'bug' - double entendre very intentional. I used to play casually in my 20's, and the idea of picking it up again got to me. So here I am a few months and several new guitars later (I learned the acronym G.A.S. on this site - my wife thinks that is very funny)

Great share - and very relatable. I've only been on the G-Pages about 2 months, and the main reason is based on much the same story. About mid-Summer last year with all of us home, I began hearing my 17yr. old Senior playing the guitar we purchased for him in 7th grade which hadn't been touched since his trying out playing in Jr. High music and band classes. His playing over a couple of weeks became progressively better quickly, and then all of a sudden I got the 'bug' - double entendre very intentional. I used to play casually in my 20's, and the idea of picking it up again got to me. So here I am a few months and several new guitars later (I learned the acronym G.A.S. on this site - my wife thinks that is very funny)

– Spretschen

Well, welcome and I'm glad you found the passion again. I never wanted to be a pro musician...but the guitar has been a good friend when I was lonely or depressed...or whatever feeling.

She also wanted to experiment with bass and my pro musician friend built this squire mustang bass for her. This is literally her FIRST DAY on bass. I'm not shitting you. I don't know if she had worked it out on guitar first or just adapted really quickly.

She definitely has an aptitude for this. I'm excited to hear where she will be in a year or two.

She definitely has an aptitude for this. I'm excited to hear where she will be in a year or two.

– BuddyHollywood

If she sticks with it. She's a lot like me in that we'll try something new and if we take to it fast...get bored. I hope she sticks with it because she really does have a natural, almost perfect, rhythm. She can learn the scales and chord shapes...but that inherent music in you can't be taught.

I wish we had the money to send her to school of rock so she could network and play with other kids. The biggest obstacle to my abilities is rarely playing with other people...much less people better than me.

Very cool thread. My story is that my youngest (15 year-old sophomore) has been working stuff out on a ukulele for just under a year. The other night we had a family meeting to discuss upgrading the kids' (we have an older daughter and older son) phones and the youngest said she wants to keep her old phone and use the money for a guitar instead! She has her eye on a short-scale Squire Jazzmaster - blue burst, maple fingerboard.

My nearly 11 year old son is fascinated by my guitars. I do let him noodle on them once in a while and teach him some basics.

He has been taking piano lessons for 5 years, currently in level 3 of the Royal Conservatory of Music certificate program here in Canada. He eventually wants to take guitar lessons, but I want him to get a good grounding in music theory via piano before he moves on to guitar. He is an old soul, who loves all the classic rock, pop, jazz and rockabilly that I love and has a very natural musical ability. He is big Beatles/Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/Kinks fan, and his piano teacher indulges him by teaching some neat piano arrangements of the aforementioned as he completes the required RCM content.

Here he is messing around with my Guild a couple years ago.

Register Sign in to join the conversation