The Woodshed

Anyone here start taking guitar lessons later in life?

I was self-taught from when I started playing in 1961/1962 as a Chet Atkins-style picker. I quit around 1990 or so. When I took up the guitar again in 2001, I decided to take classical guitar lessons to improve my technique. It worked. It was one of the best guitar-related expenses I've made. I've almost always primarily played a nylon-stringed instrument, but it helped my steel-string technique also. I took lessons for four years. A year after that, I went back and took a almost year of jazz lessons.

I've taken lessons off an on a number of times. For the past few years, it's just been YouTube, DVD's and Amazing Slow Downer....but the last two teachers I had were Michael Fath (neo-classical shred guy) - Mike and I worked on fingerstyle stuff, and it was good to get me over a hump.

The other guy I took lessons from, was more of a 'typical' teacher, but I got to pick up some decent technique that helped my playing. After playing with him for several months, he asked if I would play in his annual recital. I had a couple good tunes (Pat Kirtley's arrangement of "Dance With Me", and SRV's "Travis Walk"), so I said OK, provided I wasn't the only adult playing.

Came time for the recital, and I was the last student to play. The oldest person was 15 if they were a day. Then I walked up. I started off with....

"I'm sorry, my son couldn't make it"

Started taking lessons again a month ago.

My teacher is a jazz theory graduate from UT - Austin. Working on Autumn Leaves. Learning scales, theory and shell voicings.

Wants me to go to hour lessons; just don't know if I have the money. Also, I go to a local school which is probably 95% kids. Teachers are not allowed by management to give out contact information. I get it... they don't want parents calling and setting up lessons for a cheaper rate and cut out the school, but seriously if I have a question, I want to reach out with a quick text to get an answer... like in the real world. I'm not gonna drive 45 minutes to an hour away to go have lessons behind the school's back. I have a job and a life.

Anyway, rant over. Yes I am taking lessons at almost 46 years old.

Well, I'm still taking lessons and enjoying every minute of it. I have upped them to an hour each. Making time for practice is difficult. My wife says that I have become a better player. I'll be 49 this year and I hope I'm still taking lessons when I'm 89. I love learning new stuff.

I took a few finger picking lessons a few years ago, but the teacher wasn't a whole lot better than me, and it was a 50 mile drive so I quit after a few lessons.

At age 68 I'd take lessons in a heartbeat if I could find someone like Richard Hudson to have for a teacher...

I took a few finger picking lessons a few years ago, but the teacher wasn't a whole lot better than me, and it was a 50 mile drive so I quit after a few lessons.

At age 68 I'd take lessons in a heartbeat if I could find someone like Richard Hudson to have for a teacher...

– farmerbrown

I agree Don. Richard would be a good teacher to learn from.

Register Sign in to join the conversation