Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Zuma and the 3/4 Size 1959 Falcon?

Going thru some old emails & saved GDP links, I found the following from Zuma. Did he ever post a photo or serial number? With a posting date of late March, maybe it was a set up for an April fools prank...

**By Zed Zumawolf on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 8:21 pm:

A long, long time ago -- around 1979 or so -- I received notice from Gruhn Guitars that a late '50s single cut stereo White Falcon had come in. One of their guys was coming to Chicago for the annual Vintage show so I paid to have the Falcon flown in so I could have a look at it.

We got to the receiving room at O'Hare, my own White Falcon in tow for comparison, opened the case and . . .

There was a 3/4 size single cut stereo White Falcon, absolutely correct down to the name and serial number on the headstock plate! (I still have the Gruhn notice and serial number somewhere.) We're talking White Falcon "Junior" in what was probably a 1959 model. I've never seen anything like it, before or since.

They were unmoveable on the price (sorry, can't remember) and I just couldn't swing it. I heard that they sold it to a guy in St. Louis a few weeks later for a substantially smaller figure -- a figure I could have afforded if they'd been willing at the time.

Some people discount the wild variations possible in a genuine vintage Gretsch but since seeing that little Falcon I'm willing to believe ALMOST anything, at least until it's proven false.**

Never been on my radar... but I am open minded to the idea.

Single cut mini-White Falcon...

I believe it's called a White Penguin.

Interesting. Too bad there are not more details. By 3/4 could he have meant a 16" body with a shorter scale neck? Or something really smaller like a Rambler sized Falcon.

An email to George Gruhn might be worthwhile. I can't imagine he'd forget a 3/4 sized White Falcon.

Zuma and I had numerous conversations about his Falcon, and Falcons in general, both vintage and new. Don't remember this ever coming up or discussing.

It's been a while, but Gruhn did have Dan Fogelberg's stereo White Penguin listed for quite a while. So maybe Afire is on to something here.

Then there is the supposed vintage Black Falcon that was rumored to be out there.

I also miss brother Mitch. I was never able to find out any information about his status in his battle with cancer.

I miss Zuma.

– Baxter

a lot of us miss him Tim.

I also miss brother Mitch. I was never able to find out any information about his status in his battle with cancer.

– Ric12string

Bob, when and what was the last that anyone heard about Mitch ? I haven't seen him around here for quite a while.

Did Mitch change his user name? I dont see beatles6120 in the members list.

Did Mitch change his user name? I dont see beatles6120 in the members list.

– Bryan K.

Somethings amiss with the Community search function.

Beatles6120

Register Sign in to join the conversation