Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Your Gretsch Stradivarius

Just curious what Gretsch guitars you have that is just stunning good examples in quality, tone, playability etc no matter year and model. Interesting to hear what you got out there. Mine is a baldwin one... ’75 7620.

My 2001 6114 New Jet.

I'm recording with it now, and I can't say enough about how great sounding and playing this guitar is.

I just have a hard time thinking of these 21st century guitars as vintage... like a 350 year old violin,etc. But regardless of age, everyone may have had one. For me it was a 66 Tenny that was so tweaked, you couldn't dynamite that thing out of tune. Soemting bout Hi Los and closed Electrotone body... it just worked great.

Just curious what Gretsch guitars you have that is just stunning good examples in quality, tone, playability etc no matter year and model. Interesting to hear what you got out there. Mine is a baldwin one... ’75 7620.

– Steve111

I'll see your Country Roc and raise you my 'corrected' '72 Super Chet!

1960, 6124 (after some work) Fuji-gen 6118T and Fuji-gen 6120 AM.

I've only owned two Gretsches in my life. In the late 80's, I had a late 50's Club that somebody had refinned black and re-gold-plated all the hardware (Grover Imperials; Filtertrons; Bigsby). Pretty thing, but I didn't really ever bond with it.

My second Gretsch is the 1960 Gent I bought in 2011. It's a dream I hadn't even dreamed, and didn't know I should have dreamed. It just suddenly dawned on me one day (after seeing a vintage single-cut Gent online) that I ought to try one. It all happened kind of quickly, and I fell in love pretty much immediately. Trestle bracing was something I'd slept on for decades, and it became a revelation.

There was a thread here about my guitar which I posted soon after I got it, but I haven't been able to find it since the last crash.

http://gretschpages.com/gui...

My 48 Syncromatic, I cant get past how sweet the curvature is on the body! Like a fine work of art!

Lovely, lot of different ones And here’s a pic of mine.

My ‘62 RI Gent in factory ebony.

1 of 24.

Its like snuggling with your sweetheart. The 3967 just feels good (and looks great, too).

My favorite guitar is a fickle matter that is subject to change on any given day. However, I like the pickup combo of the 6122-1959 so much that I have a spare pair waiting to go into the right guitar. There are a couple of good candidates in the mix and time will tell.

My VS 6119T-62. Since buying it, everytime I think of buying another electric guitar (of any brand), I think, "Meh, the Tenny's got it covered."

This one:

It's been my only guitar for nearly eight years.

Guitar manogomy... what a concept!

My favorite guitar is a fickle matter that is subject to change on any given day. However, I like the pickup combo of the 6122-1959 so much that I have a spare pair waiting to go into the right guitar. There are a couple of good candidates in the mix and time will tell.

– Baba Joe

Great minds think alike, Joe. My '59 is my all-time favorite Gretsch.

Mine would have to be my plain ‘ol 6120.I’ve owned a few 6120’s...my fav of the Gretsch hollows and this one to me has just the perfect neck and open,airy chime even unplugged.

Register Sign in to join the conversation