Vintage Gretsch Guitars

You Don’t See a ‘70 Club Every Day

Funny how that's "all baldwin" already, body shape, pickups,..

Seems like double cut 6120's and gents were still made with the older style bodies in the early baldwin years. (and I think those are the ones to get because they don't have the silly mutes!)

Proteus, figuratively you "can see a '70's Club every day" because there have been more than a dozen on sale on Reverb over the past year: At least 2 were Sunburst, 1 was walnut, 1 was Antique Maple, and the rest were Natural -- and all of them in much better condition than the one you have linked and practically all of them better priced than the one linked. The only problem is they just don't look "Gretschy" enough with the smaller "f" holes, the cheaper plastio knobs, and the ugly tail piece

Funny how that's "all baldwin" already, body shape, pickups,..

Seems like double cut 6120's and gents were still made with the older style bodies in the early baldwin years. (and I think those are the ones to get because they don't have the silly mutes!)

– WB

I agree about the mute, t's quite easy to just use ones hand lightly.

https://reverb.com/item/130...

– Proteus

What year did the name go on the tailpiece... sorta like the late 60s baldwins looked more like the pre baldwin era but when they got to booneville, (1970?) that's when the appearance started to change/

I don't think that's a 1970. The body shapes didn't change until the move to Booneville in '72. And they were still stamping the coded serial numbers on the back of the headstock up to the end of Brooklyn production.

I don't think that's a 1970. The body shapes didn't change until the move to Booneville in '72. And they were still stamping the coded serial numbers on the back of the headstock up to the end of Brooklyn production.

– Afire

I agree, it's later in the 70s. There have been 70 or 71 clubs for sale that still have the old body shape(and usually f-holes that are a little closer to the upper bout for some reason).

I used to have a '76 Country Club in natural. Very well made, but heavy I seem to remember.

To think my 1965 Country Club was $1,200 and now mid 70s are going for $2,000.

Afire: They stopped stamping the back of the headstocks at the end of 1972 after the first Booneville fire destroyed the embossing machine that imprinted the numbers on the rear of the headstock

Toxophilite: The reason that the "f" holes were closer to the upper bout in the 1971 era is that the new workers in Booneville, just learning their trade and having little experience, were unaware that the "points" in the middle of the "f" holes were supposed to line up with the center of the base of the bridge. When Dean Porter came down to Booneville in 1972, that oversite was one of the first things he corrected in an attempt to get the quality control to where it was supposed to be. There are a number of White Falcons and Vikings at that time with the oversized "f" holes that had the incorrect placement of the "f' holes and even a couple of mailers to dealers featured photos of these goofed-up guitars. At times then, there were even guitars that could not leave the factory because they had been assembled incorrectly and were unplayable.

Toxophilite: The reason that the "f" holes were closer to the upper bout in the 1971 era is that the new workers in Booneville, just learning their trade and having little experience, were unaware that the "points" in the middle of the "f" holes were supposed to line up with the center of the base of the bridge. When Dean Porter came down to Booneville in 1972, that oversite was one of the first things he corrected in an attempt to get the quality control to where it was supposed to be. There are a number of White Falcons and Vikings at that time with the oversized "f" holes that had the incorrect placement of the "f' holes and even a couple of mailers to dealers featured photos of these goofed-up guitars. At times then, there were even guitars that could not leave the factory because they had been assembled incorrectly and were unplayable.

– ewkewk

This is hilarious, very Gretsch! Thanks for the information. Visually I don't mind the funny F-holes, but if you've owned some archtops, it is immediately obvious.

My 72 Deluxe Chet is heavy too. It has unusually large square front AND back longitudinal bracing. Plus a big chunk of 1" plywood attached to the braces under the bridge (and strangely not attached to the back braces (I removed it by giving it a push with a finger...) I think those heavy braces ,the burns truss rod unit and maybe even the metal pickup surrounds made these guitars heavier.

Register Sign in to join the conversation