Vintage Gretsch Guitars

who likes this Club?

I like it, just not $6K amount of like. I guess it wasn’t uncommon since there are 9 examples through 1959 in our registry here and nicer wood was often used for this version. If I had money to burn, then yes, I might buy it. The binding looks good.

Yeah, I like the natural finish 'Clubs. If I had the cash, and the neck was OK........ mmmmmaybe I'd buy it - it would depend upon the weight. 1959 was the year the Gretsh used trestle bracing in the Country Club (and the only year [until the reissues started being made in 2017] to the best of my knowledge), if it weighed a ton like my '59 reissue 'Club did, I'm not so sure I'd get it.

Of course I like this finish, it being natural. It shows off the lovely grain of the spruce. Would be too rich for my blood even if I was looking. It needs the bridge stuffed in the case pocket and a good Serpentune put on there.

Yum. Any Gretsch in natural with a spruce top is a very good thing. Doubt if the Bigsby is original, but it may be as it's an old one. Usually the natural Gretsches (laminate tops) were maple, but these spruce tops turn up occasionally and they look great. I had a religious encounter with a '58 6191 Streamliner like this Club that changed my life many moons ago. It had the most perfect neck and I was able to get a similar 6189 Bamboo Yellow/Copper Mist a few years later. The only Duo Jet in sunburst or natural allowed should be with a spruce top only.

My '58 is for sale but it's the wrong side of the pond for the most of you. The neck is big (I know Ellen would like it). Yes, the trestles make it kinda heavy for a hollow body but that also means: no early feedback when played loud. Great guitar that for some reason nobody seems to want.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/195...

My '58 is for sale but it's the wrong side of the pond for the most of you. The neck is big (I know Ellen would like it). Yes, the trestles make it kinda heavy for a hollow body but that also means: no early feedback when played loud. Great guitar that for some reason nobody seems to want.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/195...

– sascha

It's hard moving any gear these days, and yes, hi-end even more. Taking a huge beating on my latest lo-end follie$, but that's par for the course.

Still looks like mostly thumbs up on this one.

I like Sascha's more! The one in the US ebay link appears to have the bridge base sanded down and the bridge adusted as low as it goes.

It clearly needs Dynasonics.

"...was this a common finish?" Probably not exactly "common" but it has been in the production line at various times over the years.

There are recent examples shown in the 2006 (pg 11) and 2008 catalogs. IMO -- GORGEOUS!! Sadly I have missed (and squandered) some opportunities over the years to own one of these beauties.

– Proteus

yeah thats my only issue too

– Proteus

Boy howdy! Sure gets my vote. And WOW!, Sascha’s is just gorgeous!

Yeah, I like the natural finish 'Clubs. If I had the cash, and the neck was OK........ mmmmmaybe I'd buy it - it would depend upon the weight. 1959 was the year the Gretsh used trestle bracing in the Country Club (and the only year [until the reissues started being made in 2017] to the best of my knowledge), if it weighed a ton like my '59 reissue 'Club did, I'm not so sure I'd get it.

– EllenGtrGrl

Country Clubs had trestle bracing from ‘58 thru at least ‘62. My ‘62 6196 has them.

– tubwompus

Link

– tubwompus

Mighty purty!!!!

I'm might very well be wrong, but to me, this looks like a refinished G6196T.

– tubwompus

That looks familial.

That looks familial.

– Bob Howard

Yes lawd!

I'm might very well be wrong, but to me, this looks like a refinished G6196T.

– GG

I was just about to post that the finish looks a lot more clear than what I am used to seeing on examples from this period. Not enough of an expert to call anyone out, but my own '53 6193, Tim's, and every other natural finish 50's club was a lot more, well blonde. Perhaps it's just confirmation bias in my part.

I was just about to post that the finish looks a lot more clear than what I am used to seeing on examples from this period. Not enough of an expert to call anyone out, but my own '53 6193, Tim's, and every other natural finish 50's club was a lot more, well blonde. Perhaps it's just confirmation bias in my part.

– spike

If you are referring to the guitar in post #1 I say it's legit. The photo is taken with some kind of flashlight and that usually makes them look pale.

beautiful club sascha..keep it!! haha

interestingly, trestle bracing has made a big return ala the statesman series from popular (& pricey) collings guitars...they say it increases the sustain while cutting feedback...

cheers

The Bigsby definitely is not original. If it was, it would have a Phillips head bolt and long bracket.

Register Sign in to join the conversation