Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Who knows

Hello here, I have a Gretsch Synchromatic, Model 6192-3, serial number 8538. I have not seen any of this model at all,on this site, most like the 6192 model Country Club 1953. Who knows this model, who knows anything about this guitar, I really want to know, if there is no one on this page . Thank you. Greetings from Europe.

Hill

What you have there is a beautiful 1952 Electro II 6193 (as it is a blonde), and from the first batch that sports "dual model stamp and master volume on cutaway" according to Ball's Manual of Gretsch Guitars the 1950's. Does it have an adjustable truss rod on the fingerboard end? These sometimes get called "pre-Country Clubs". You may want to tour the "History" section and find the appropriate year catalog to see how it was advertised. The pickups were originally called "Fidelatone" but renamed "Gretsch-DeArmond" for the '52-3 catalog and finally "Dynasonic" by 1955. Please post more pics as we rarely see these beauties. We may be able to even tell you how vintage the Melita bridge is. Cheers and welcome!

That's a beautiful Electro, by the way.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. some more pics.

That is in incredibly beautiful original condition. The early Waverly tuners, the original pickguard, a five piece neck - wow! That appears to be an original "Pat. Pending" Melita with the bakelite saddles.

I believe Steven Stern who makes the modern Gretsch Custom Shop guitars recently made one of these.

Yes, it's really nice, but I still do not know where this model belongs.

At my house?

What do you mean by "where it belongs"? It's in the transitional period, just before the advent of rock & roll, when the design of big-body hollow-body electric guitars hadn't yet been adapted to that new form of music (with the heavier bracing and laminated tops they'd get later, before they were shrunk in depth to become thinlines). It was intended for jazz, or maybe western swing styles. Thus the lively spruce top.

Gretsch's DeArmond pickups were sorta the odd man out in the jazz world, with more high end than Gibson's pickups - but they'd be ideal for the twang that was coming.

In Gretsch history, as lx has said, it comes right before the same model was tweaked a little and turned into the Country Club.

This is great and so cool to see one of those made it to Europe.

It's amazing to see one of these in this condition: nobody's even drilled a strap knob into it. It's a laminate spruce top.

First off, welcome to all things Gretsch! You found the perfect place to get info on this rare guitar. The world's foremost expert & author of 2 book, Ed Ball is a regular contributor around here.

Very cool guitar!! Love the aged, natural finish. The clear knobs are something we don't see very often. Nice double stinger on the back of the neck, something you don't get with sunbursts.

Do you have a straight-on view but from the pickguard side showing the construction of the cutaway to the neck? I'd like to see how it was done for your guitar.

Ed is going to really enjoy seeing this!!

There is a shot of one of these in the first spread in Ed's book. This is one of 350 made before they were re-vamped with truss rods and more into the "official" Country Club. And Dave, it does feature that cutaway detail you love so much. See post #5.

Thanks for the answers. Last picture today, it's just midnight with me. The guitar also goes into the original case. See you.

Yeah lx, I saw that. It was the first thing I wondered about with the year of this guitar! I just want to see a clearer view of it to see if it has a taper to it. By that I mean the amount of 'stick-out' on the Fleetwood where the cutout meets the neck was 1/4" and increased to 3/8" where this bit of extra body ends.

So if this is one of Gretsch's earliest 'adventures' with giving their new electric hollowbodies a cutaway, they didn't learn anything by '55, the year of my Fleetwood. Oy vey

Thanks for the answers. Last picture today, it's just midnight with me. The guitar also goes into the original case. See you.

– hillblues

Thanks a lot! There it is, a fair bit of the body left intact when the neck was inserted into the body rather than as part of the design. Note that the neck narrows as it continues towards the heel. My '98 6120 and SC both have the neck remain the same width down to the heel which allows the cutaway's straight end and face to remain parallel with the top and bottom of the guitar and puts the edge of the cutaway flush with the neck; which is the standard design for a guitar with a cutaway.

The early cutaway work at Gretsch, and some other brands as well, didn't get their designing skills in order till sometime after '55.

FWIW, Chet's D'Angelico, which is from the same general era, does not show any protrusion of the body into the cutaway.

One cool guitar.

A friend has one, a 6193, with IIRC serial no. 9440 - a '54.

Played by Tommy Emmanuel to great effect.

Welcome aboard!

That is one gorgeous guitar. Congrats!

Register Sign in to join the conversation