Vintage Gretsch Guitars

When should I buy my dream guitar?

when should you buy your "dream" guitar ?

as soon as you can afford it (and the wife says "ok", too)

If the guitar is within your means by all means buy it now.

Or if you can get away with stealing it.

KIDDING! I'm kidding. Don't steal guitars.

There is a sweet spot between buying something on impulse, vs. agonizing over it. I tend to go the agonizing route, miss out on good deals, and spend time that I could use for playing. Sounds like you are in the spot now where you are past an impulse buy, you really want it, if you can afford it I say get it now and enjoy while you can!

What’s your motivation? Is it buying for a good price or investment or because you want the guitar to play and enjoy? Good price or investment may be subjective. If the reason is to play and enjoy, do it ASAP, especially if there is something special about it. You may not get another opportunity. You may end up loving it or saying “meh” but at least you will have found out.

I used to think that flippers were crazy, but have now come around to seeing their wisdom. It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

You should buy me my dream guitar today.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. This is very inspirational.

One thing I love about guitars is that you can get the latest professional quality equipment at the price of the cheapest Rolex. The top shelf vintage guitars don’t approach the price of a fine vintage watch of the same year. In a way, what you can do with it and the joy it brings seems like a bargain.

Yet...there is a market that sets the price and I’d feel like a fool if the market told me 5 years from now that my dream guitar was “worth” half of what I’d paid for it today. I know that I’d get to play it for those 5 years and I probably wouldn’t miss the money and if I never looked at eBay or reverb I would never even know. But still...

Ah, geez that sounds crazy. I should probably spend the money on therapy!

The guitar IS therapy.

The guitar IS therapy.

– Proteus

And cheap in the bargain.

In five years you’ll just want a solid Tele.

FAKE NEWS! i've been at this for almost 60 years and just want more and more.

After years of buying, selling and trading my current set of guitars satisfies all my needs. Have I realized the dream?

Thanks for the words of wisdom. This is very inspirational.

One thing I love about guitars is that you can get the latest professional quality equipment at the price of the cheapest Rolex. The top shelf vintage guitars don’t approach the price of a fine vintage watch of the same year. In a way, what you can do with it and the joy it brings seems like a bargain.

Yet...there is a market that sets the price and I’d feel like a fool if the market told me 5 years from now that my dream guitar was “worth” half of what I’d paid for it today. I know that I’d get to play it for those 5 years and I probably wouldn’t miss the money and if I never looked at eBay or reverb I would never even know. But still...

Ah, geez that sounds crazy. I should probably spend the money on therapy!

– Jack Skellington

Funny you should say this. I think collecting vintage watches is largely responsible for curing my guitar GAS. Now I have a different GAS, where the "G" stands for Gruen. The fun thing about it is that if you avoid the real high-end Swiss stuff like Rolex, Patek, V&C, etc., the investment per watch drops off dramatically. And Gruen was actually a business partner of Rolex and they shared a movement factory and a number of calibers before the mid 1930s when Gruen shifted production entirely in-house.

The guitar IS therapy.

– Proteus

Troo dat!!

After years of buying, selling and trading my current set of guitars satisfies all my needs. Have I realized the dream?

Enjoy the state of grace while it lasts, and long may it prevail. But it may be in the nature of most of us to find it more compelling to have a dream than to realize one.

– NJBob

I am there too although I find myself wanting some form of a Telecaster now and then.

I am there too although I find myself wanting some form of a Telecaster now and then.

– BuddyHollywood

Well, yes, a tele is part of the set and filled a big hole.

– BuddyHollywood

Thank God this one fulfils my Tele dreams.

Hey guys, where are you purchasing all that? I was mistakenly thinking that the times of yo-yo have passed long ago, so I am really impressed that this entertainment is still so alive, I am from the Netherlands, find Dam Square Webcam. I have to check my possessions, my old toys are somewhere in these boxes. So I need to find them urgently and try to refresh my skills with them.

I'm told that by waiting until you are dead, you can save a ton of money...which you probably won't be able to spend anyway...

I'm told that by waiting until you are dead, you can save a ton of money...which you probably won't be able to spend anyway...

– General_Lee

The best time to buy a dream guitar is just before you wake up!

Register Sign in to join the conversation