Vintage Gretsch Guitars

What year is this Gretsch Tennessean?

I'm looking at a Tennessean with serial number 77496 (which is on top of the headstock, not on the back), without a Made in USA stamp, and it has no name plate or screw holes in the front of the headstock indicating there ever was a name plate. (also probably not useful info but the tuners have been replaced.)

also side note Chet Atkins signature is on the pickguard.

My thoughts were that it's either July '67 496th instrument, or it's from late 64/ early 65, but I thought name plates were added to all tennesseans starting in 64.

Can someone help me out here?

My 64Tennessean never had a name plate

Tennies never had name badges. The number sure sounds like '67 but IIRC the numbering system on the back of the headstock was already happening. What do the knobs look like?

The serial # that correspond to year/month etc. didn't start until sometime in 1965, pretty sure.

The Gruhn book shows your serial # in the '64 early '65 range and shows name plate on headstock in 1964 but this doesn't mean it all began on January 1 , etc.

I think it's safe to say you are in the first part of 1964.

PIx always helps.

I just checked all the catalogs and not one of them had Tennies with badges. Learn something new everyday.....

EDIT: Looks like the badges started around '65 and stopped sometime before '73. Maybe the catalogs kept using the same picture.

Pretty sure my 1965 Gretsch catalogue doesn't show a badge on the headstock of the Tennessean. But... It does show Binding on the headstock. I think the badges started in late '65/ early '66. I know my '66 6120 'Nashville' has a badge and it's placed over the horseshoe that's inlayed on the front of the peghead. I think both guitars got badges about the same time.

DCBirdman... PLEASE ditch that Gruhn book, or at least tear out the Gretsch serial number portion.

The #774xx batch was a group of late 1965 model year Tenny's. I've documented a Gent at #775xx with pot codes from May '65 AND an original bill of sale dated Feb. 3 1966. So the latter part of '65 is a very plausible window for when the #744xx batch of Tenny's left the factory.

Earliest Tenny's with the headstock plaque appear at batch #820xx (1966 model year).

Pretty sure my 1965 Gretsch catalogue doesn't show a badge on the headstock of the Tennessean. But... It does show Binding on the headstock. I think the badges started in late '65/ early '66. I know my '66 6120 'Nashville' has a badge and it's placed over the horseshoe that's inlayed on the front of the peghead. I think both guitars got badges about the same time.

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

They put a badge over a horsehoe inlay!!?? Only Gretsch!

DCBirdman... PLEASE ditch that Gruhn book, or at least tear out the Gretsch serial number portion.

I could almost see your head exploding when I read DC quoting Gruhn.

Well yeah. Gruhn's way off. I'm off too, but not as off as Gruhn.

Ed, we gotta get my stuff aligned, whenever you're ready.

Tennies did too have headstock badges!

Well yeah. Gruhn's way off. I'm off too, but not as off as Gruhn.

Ed, we gotta get my stuff aligned, whenever you're ready.

– Baxter

Amen!

Lee

Register Sign in to join the conversation