Vintage Gretsch Guitars

What model is this?

I'm stumped on an acoustic I recently acquired. The serial number is not in any data base. Any experts out there may offer any help?

I’m stumped too! Without a photo or description we can’t help you out.

Use the yellow camera icon next to the emoji-thingy button. One pic per post and add some text.

Until pics arrive, I suggest we entertain ourselves with guesses. He said "acoustic," but didn't specify "acoustic guitar." The odds are long, but that's why the payoff is so big. I'm going with ocarina.

Until pics arrive, I suggest we entertain ourselves with guesses. He said "acoustic," but didn't specify "acoustic guitar." The odds are long, but that's why the payoff is so big. I'm going with ocarina.

– Afire

Hate to break the news to you.... but I'm thinking that Ocarina is a conversion.

I'm stumped on an acoustic I recently acquired. The serial number is not in any data base. Any experts out there may offer any help?

– evanscottw

If it's a Gretsch guitar, and you can provide some info (and hopefully a photo), I'm sure you'll get some help here.

I can tell without even looking that it's the super-rare Gretsch Bacon Belmont Joyrider Supreme MkII! Joyriders were made surreptitiously during WWII in defiance of bans on production of consumer products, built after hours by oil lamp in blackout conditions at the Brooklyn factory.

Most Joyrider Supremes were spirited out of the country in supply convoys to Europe to bring much-needed cheer (and playable instruments) to Allied musicians. But many made their unlikely way via the black market into Nazi Germany where strictly verbøten swing band players needed them for top-secret and oh-so-decadent dance parties for the Nazi hoi polloi, held during off-shift hours in the secret rocket bunkers of Peenemunde.

To find one in the US now is almost unbelievable. Maybe you had a grandfather or great-uncle who helped liberate one of the storerooms of the Nazi hoard and, recognizing the American heritage behind the name on the headstock, re-patriated the guitar. There's little wonder you don't know its story - most GIs didn't have any idea of the guitars' history, and those who did weren't about to tell. As a consequence, these undocumented Gretschs were deemed worthless fakery on the market. Many were subsequently butchered by young rockers in the 50s and 60s with homemade hacksaw cutaways and all manner of mismatched pickups. I saw one that must have had a harrowing passage through the 80s, equipped as it was with EMGs and a Floyd Rose!

Some of the materials do look exotic, but there's no documented truth to the lore that the nut and binding are human bone.

What do you want for it?

Hate to break the news to you.... but I'm thinking that Ocarina is a conversion.

– kc_eddie_b

No points on the f-holes to evaluate, no butt-end acoustic strap buttons, no serifs to scrutinize...how does one know?!!!

No points on the f-holes to evaluate, no butt-end acoustic strap buttons, no serifs to scrutinize...how does one know?!!!

– Afire

There's a Filtertron on the underside. I'm sure of it. You can see part of the brass plate through the second hole from the left. Should be a HiLotron, the choice pickup of ocarinas everywhere.

This is a burgundy (mist?) colored ocarina; the other (earlier) colors came with Dynasonics. You can read all about it on page 13 of this authoritative book.

– Afire

It's lacking the trestle bracing... always a red flag on these.

I think when KC Eddie says "conversion" he means it used to be a woman.

Register Sign in to join the conversation