Vintage Gretsch Guitars

what is this instrument?

The serial number on the rear of the headstock is 17288 which would indicate a 67 model. However, the F holes are real. There is a padded cover on the rear that reveals the interior and a missing item (two small screw holes in the wood frame at the interior). The tuning pegs have been changed. The headstock plaque and pick-guard read Nashville. Rear and back appear to be mahogany, but the face is clearly a deep reddish color.

Do you have a pic of the paper tag inside?

Can you put up a more complete set of pics? Better quality as well ideally.

The photo you put up looks refin, added F holes. But some questions pop up--if "Nashville" is there, was it a 6120 refinished to look like a Country Gent? Why no mute? The psychedelic photo may make the body look 17'' instead of 16''. There is more to say but really the clearer photos are needed.

Only one photo can be attached to each post, so just put up as many successive posts as needed and type a dot or anything with each photo.

I think pix show up weird like that when the file size is too large. My experience, anyway

The F-holes are an after-market addition. If they were factory installed they would most likely have been bound.

Picture looks like it was taken with a fish eye lens. Cool effect whatever caused it.

My guess is that it's a Matsumoku-made copy of a Country Gent, heavily modified with replaced pickups, routed f-holes and added Bigsby. The pickguard is a strong hint --- note the point at the bottom and the opaque white plastic. These were most commonly branded Ventura, although some had Univox, Lyle, and other brand names. Here's a picture of one pretty much stock for comparison's sake:

My guess is that it's a Matsumoku-made copy of a Country Gent, heavily modified with replaced pickups, routed f-holes and added Bigsby. The pickguard is a strong hint --- note the point at the bottom and the opaque white plastic. These were most commonly branded Ventura, although some had Univox, Lyle, and other brand names. Here's a picture of one pretty much stock for comparison's sake:

– Parabar

I believe you nailed it! Mine is branded "Dixon" sweet guitars, quite high quality.

– Suprdave

There is no label of any type inside. Two small screw holes are present on the interior of the frame where something was likely attached at some point. By the way, I purchased this instrument in about 1979. It was being played by a plumber who had owned it for a number of years.

Can you put up a more complete set of pics? Better quality as well ideally.

The photo you put up looks refin, added F holes. But some questions pop up--if "Nashville" is there, was it a 6120 refinished to look like a Country Gent? Why no mute? The psychedelic photo may make the body look 17'' instead of 16''. There is more to say but really the clearer photos are needed.

Only one photo can be attached to each post, so just put up as many successive posts as needed and type a dot or anything with each photo.

– knavel

Thank you, will do.

Yet another; I appreciate your time in taking a look at this.

Final image. Let me know if you need additional close-ups. Thanks again.

By the way, the red is much nicer in person. This is taken under a 3000K LED- pretty harsh.

The F-holes are an after-market addition. If they were factory installed they would most likely have been bound.

– kc_eddie_b

thank you. i've reposted better photos in the thread

– Suprdave

Thanks Dave, there is no tag on the interior. Better photos posted on original thread.

– Parabar

Hello Parabar, Thanks. I bought this instrument (well used then) about 40 years ago. It's been rarely played since then, but I did have it re-fretted about 10 years ago. Does the timing match the dates of the manufacture of these copies?

I think it is genuine Gretsch but with later-added f holes. They are in the wrong location and as someone indicated they would be bound if from the factory.

Thanks, Don. It's a nice work of art to me. Plays well and sounds warm. When cranked up, it buzzes and wails nicely.

By the way, were added F holes a common treatment? Cutting into the top of finished instrument seems a bit odd. Wouldn't factory cutouts have been place prior to arching the top?

Can you also add a pic of the back of the headstock showing the serial number? You quoted the number but I should have been able to see it in the photo where you are holding up the back of the guitar.

Cutting F holes is not common. I think in 10 odd years I've been on this forum maybe 2 times tops have I ever seen.

Your pickguard looks mismatched to your bridge pickup. If yours is January 67 then if you pop the pins holding the headstock plaque you might see a horse shoe under there.

The knobs on yours are pre 1968 so yours ought to have had a mute system if those knobs are original. You say there is access to the inside from the back. This suggests strongly the mute was there and you mention what may well be the remnants of the system in your initial post.

Yours has a 60s not 70s case from what I can see.

It could be the mute was removed and the holes plugged. If your paint is opaque one can't see the plugs. If someone could cut those F holes with such decent competence they could have had the skill to plug the mute holes. If you can't see the work through the paint you'll be able to see it from the inside.

Also someone put the strap button type knobs on the tip of the tone and pick up selector switches.

Your Bigsby looks vintage from what I can see.

No reason why it shouldn't be a great guitar as you say. My 65 6120 (Nashville) is more a 70s casualty more messed up than any cosmetically and it's just a great instrument. I can really do a lot with it in the studio and live.

Can you also add a pic of the back of the headstock showing the serial number? You quoted the number but I should have been able to see it in the photo where you are holding up the back of the guitar.

Cutting F holes is not common. I think in 10 odd years I've been on this forum maybe 2 times tops have I ever seen.

Your pickguard looks mismatched to your bridge pickup. If yours is January 67 then if you pop the pins holding the headstock plaque you might see a horse shoe under there.

The knobs on yours are pre 1968 so yours ought to have had a mute system if those knobs are original. You say there is access to the inside from the back. This suggests strongly the mute was there and you mention what may well be the remnants of the system in your initial post.

Yours has a 60s not 70s case from what I can see.

It could be the mute was removed and the holes plugged. If your paint is opaque one can't see the plugs. If someone could cut those F holes with such decent competence they could have had the skill to plug the mute holes. If you can't see the work through the paint you'll be able to see it from the inside.

Also someone put the strap button type knobs on the tip of the tone and pick up selector switches.

Your Bigsby looks vintage from what I can see.

No reason why it shouldn't be a great guitar as you say. My 65 6120 (Nashville) is more a 70s casualty more messed up than any cosmetically and it's just a great instrument. I can really do a lot with it in the studio and live.

– knavel

Thank you. Yes, there is a patch visible from interior that corresponds to a missing switch or button on the face. The unit was obviously re-laquered or finished, and there is overspray on the interior. The headstock number is visible in the picture, but it's also a bit fuzzy on the back due to the likely refinishing of the neck. In any case, I believe you've helped me to identify this as an energetically modified 1967 'player'. Feel free to add any other comments. Pictures attached.

Register Sign in to join the conversation