Vintage Gretsch Guitars

What in the world is that tremolo thingy?

GLP just added a cool solid body Jet and it has this groovey little trem between the bridge and tail. Do these work? Where do you find them?

Tone Twister? Avoid at all costs unless you like breaking strings.

Edit: The thing in one picture is actually the "Belt Buckle" western themed add on to the tailpiece---and doesn't do anything. In the other, it's a Tone Twister.

Probably a tone twister .. they can be fun but they ain't a Bigsby

These don't really break strings, they're just not very good vibratos. They're fun to own, though!

Just a novelty desk decoration cause it has the Gretsch logo on it.

I don't recall hearing who came up with this idea. Being as how it's really a POS, it tends to make me think Jimmy W. strikes again!? It's just the sort of silly thing he'd dream up for someone not inclined to put a Bigsby on their guitar.

Many years before the Tone Twister, there was the Gibson Vibra-Rest!

I have a nice one of these in it's original salmon-pink Gibson box.

Here's Japan's offering in the ersatz vibrato sweepstakes...the Hi-Tone!

I have a nice one of these in it's original salmon-pink Gibson box.

– duojet55

That would be very cool to have as another piece of memorabilia.....right beside the Gretsch box cutter.

Just a thought---

Wouldn't a Tone Twister do a decent job damping wolf tones? It'd look better than grommets.

Yes, it does work well to nix wolf tones. The Wolf Tones...great name for a band!

Ah, but does anyone have a Gretsch Musical Comb? This is shown in the patents section of Jay Scott's Gretsch book. Not surprisingly it's a metal comb, with a slot in it for the paper. And, being an official patent application, there's a very detailed technical explanation as to what's involved in the design of, well, a comb with a slot in it. I want one.

Didn't Gretsch offer a nose flute as well?

Vibrato, not Tremolo...and no, they don't.

Yes, it does work well to nix wolf tones. The Wolf Tones...great name for a band!

– duojet55

It's been done-- sort of.

A somewhat traditional Irish band-- The Wolfe Tones. I'm sure that the irony wasn't lost on them.

These don't really break strings, they're just not very good vibratos. They're fun to own, though!

– duojet55

please sell me one, ooooh gaaawd its awesome. like a gretsch can opener

I'm pretty sure when I was a kid my friend and I found one those in his father's toolbox in the garage.

He had much older brothers, he played guitar and organ, but he never mentioned any of his brothers playing guitar.

We had no idea what it was. I didn't know what Gretsch was. I remember be puzzled by it for a long time.

My first vibrato, which I rigged up about 15 minutes after getting my first acoustic guitar home (Stella Harmony with a trapeze tailpiece) combined the Tone-Twister/Vibra-Rest/Hi-Tone notion with a comb.

It was a rat-tail comb stuck under the trapeze. I could pull up on it and get a little wiggle.

I never kazooed with it, though.

Register Sign in to join the conversation