Vintage Gretsch Guitars

What do you guys know about tuners?

I did NOT start this thread three years ago! I'm just re-starting it now, in 2014.

There was a lot if information here last time. I'd like to repost spec'd drawings of contemporary tuners that are similar to those used on vintage Gretsches. Some are drop-in replacements and some are not.

Grover 18:1, AKA 4593

Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite (not the same!)

Grover V97 18NA, labeled here as GH 97H

Those first Grovers you posted look like they're for slotted headstocks.

That's all I've got. Now let's see those vintage tuners that were so well-represented in the first version of this thread, along with measurements if they are known.

I started the original. I wanted to add tuners to the Gretsch-GEAR DB like we have tailpieces and such, and was hoping for a good rundown on which tuners were used when, on what models, how to ID, that sort of thing.

If we can ever get such a thing together, I think the illustrations here would be a great addition.

Anyone have a diagram of the Imperial tuners as used on the 6136T-LDS (59 White Falcon re-issue)? That would sure be useful to me, right now.

Larry

What would be helpful along with the dimensions would be the weight. Available weight info on different tuner set is very hit or miss. Often different types of tuners sets will very by several ounces which can really make a difference balance-wise. A guitar that's slightly neck heavy can be brought into balance with lighter tuners, but it's really hard to find that data. Some manufacturers post it for some models and not others, some don't post it at all.

Larry, there have been two types of Grover Imperials out there in recent years, one with two full "ears" (tabs shaped like the "dog-ears" on P90 pickups) and one with one of the "ears" clipped off. Both versions share hole size and lower (toward the body) screw hole placement with the Rotomatics pictured above. I'm not sure whether the second hole is farther from the post hole in the "full-ear" version. I don't have the specs, but here is a photo. They are exact drop-in replacements for the originals. (Tuner buttons have been replaced here; kidney-bean and stair-step models share the same footprint. Also, the tuners on the treble side must have been installed on a Friday afternoon .)

A real shame the original of this discussion was lost. This thread now really is not relevant to the vintage section.

I will sum up the hours of lost effort and photos many of us put into the original thread to say that anyone who wishes to use any modern tuner in a vintage Gretsch will likely never get the footprint to match exactly:

Even where the spacing of the screw holes on modern and vintage are the same, the placement of the shaft on modern is generally in a different place.

Accordingly, modern Grover V98s (or V97s, I've already forgotten which is which) did not work for the same vintage tuners on a 1956 Gretsch I have.

Oh, I don't think it's lost. I think were just not sure where it's at.

I hope that's the case. I've been sort of holding off on trying to repost my original vintage tuner screed in case it does return. If not (and nobody beats me to it), I'll post an illustrated beginners guide to '50s and '60s tuners.

Afire, try a post text search for a phrase you're pretty sure is in there. If you can locate the posts, I can change the title.

Either way, what you really want to do is send me your illustrated guide and have me either post it to the guitars section or as an article.

Bax, feel free to juggle stuff around... Sorry if my posts have got this started off on the wrong foot, but it's all I had. I wish other posters could simply put up vintage photos and specs before my posts.

I started the original. I wanted to add tuners to the Gretsch-GEAR DB like we have tailpieces and such, and was hoping for a good rundown on which tuners were used when, on what models, how to ID, that sort of thing.

If we can ever get such a thing together, I think the illustrations here would be a great addition.

– Baxter

I've got a 64 Tennessean with non-original tuners and would love to put it back to original. Is there a definitive answer regarding the tuners Gretsch put on them during this period or am I looking at a moving target? I can post a pic of the back of the headstock if the outline/holes of the original tuners will help to find the right replacements. Any information is appreciated.

Here's the back of the headstock of my 64 if it helps at all. I'm told they are Waverlys.

Register Sign in to join the conversation